End of an ERA

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Dale,

Bikes, blah. blah, blah, bikes, blah.

But someone that would put up with you day in and day out, now that's a win my friend.

No argument there.  And Annie still wants to go on lengthy rides - but only at 400-miles/day pace, tops. Less, if the winds are howling and she gets buffeted all day.

Just two long-ish trips planned for her this summer - the start of the Iron Butt Rally in Provo, Utah in mid-June, and the Cognoscente Group's "Feedbag '21" event in Ely, Nevada this July.

And Gerlachfest in Sept, if she's up for it.

As humans, we have learned to adapt. I too traded my FJR in for something a bit “lighter”, more for practical reasons than physical ones. Our 50 ft driveway is at about 19 degrees and made of loose rock. Going up it, (and especially down it) on the FJR made me a bit nervous. Not to mention many of the roads folks we visit around here are considerably worse. 

And yes, I’m a bit jealous of your pristine garage.... 😉

I think I’m similar in age to you, Dale.  But perhaps not quite as well preserved?

I’ve also noticed that the big gurl is a chore to move about these day, having had one hip replaced already and the second one not too far behind. But then every time I’ve wrestled the FJR out and onto the open road, all thoughts of an amiable divorce are quickly over-ridden.  If I’m keeping any on-road bike it’s going to be my “pretty in pink” ‘14. At 50k miles she is barely broken in. And still as beautiful as the day we met.

After moving to the land of unpaved roads last year (VT) I find myself gravitating to my Africa Twin or V-strom rather than the Feejer more often.   A day ride on gravel and clay with no traffic is more cathartic than you could imagine.  But...  if you’ve got the wanderlust and have a need to make miles...  well you know the obvious answer.

Best of luck with your new ride(s).  You have always been a great friend to this FJR community, and I can’t imagine a change of steed is going to change that one bit.

Don’t worry - my last street bike was a Honda Monkey. Because... camp bike, neighborhood errand bike, didn’t get one when I was little so now I had to get one bike.

Race ya....

RHpQkPdl.jpg

I gotta tell ya Warchild if I lived in the Tri-Cities I'd go nuts too smoke and heat or not.  Just sayin' only sayin'.  And then we have the world famous blue bridge. Grrrrr....

I feel strangely better having said all that.🙃

Watched the Irland GP race yesterday with 125 and 250 in the "same" race. While the 250 class had a leader that no other 250 could touch (nearly a lap ahead) the 125s were battling for position the whole time. Once again more fun riding a slow bike fast than a fast bike slow.

I bought a new 2020 Tracer GT last year but concerned about letting my wife ride double.

The owner manual warns against using the saddle cases and a trunk at the same time

and creating an overloaded condition? Won't a passenger exceed the load capacity? 

Will the rear frame break off riding double? I've been trying to buy a 2021 FJR  so my wife

can ride along safely..Love the GT but seems I bought the wrong bike for my lifestyle..

yQ1nJTd.jpg

The cases are mounted to the rear subframe; not as sturdy as the main frame that the saddles sit on top of.
So does that mean the passenger seat is on the main frame and safe for a passenger? The manual states not to use both saddle bags and rear truck at the same time, seems that would indicate a weak frame also.

Just curious and would like to take the wife on a ride prior to finding another fjr.

So does that mean the passenger seat is on the main frame and safe for a passenger? The manual states not to use both saddle bags and rear truck at the same time, seems that would indicate a weak frame also.

Just curious and would like to take the wife on a ride prior to finding another fjr.
Yamaha says the same for the FJR, either side cases or top box but not both. An instruction ignored by all. 

Yup, been ignoring that for the last 15 (almost 16) years.  Of course I never saw that in the book!

It means that the seats are on the main frame while the trunk is on the subframe.

Wfooshee showed that the above claim was mistaken

What does the manual actually say?  The FJR manual had a warning about using side cases and top boxes that was about stability, not weight.  W/o a passenger, the hole behind the rider, and with a top box and bags, can cause a weave.  Stuff a duffle bag back there are put a passenger on, no weave with top box and side cases.

The Tracer GT owner's manual lists a load limit of 395 lbs (page 2-3).  The stock rear rack has a load limit of 7 lbs, (which most of us ignore on every bike).  I didn't see a warning about top box and side cases.  It may come with the luggage.

Can't find it in any manual, but in their advertisement for the 50 l top box, they say this:

Disclaimer

Please note - the 50L Top Case Touring is a stand-alone product and it is not recommended that it is installed and used with the optional Yamaha Side Cases
No reason given. 

Well, technically, the seats are not on the main frame, they are on the rear subframe, which is bolted to the main frame. They certainly aren't behind the subframe like the top case is, but they, and the side bags, are on the rear subframe.

The main frame carries the engine, steering head, and swingarm, and nothing else. (Well, OK, the centerstand and sidestand.)
51127617186_6e685b2b06_z.jpg