Engine Didn't Grenade/Something Happened/And Final Report

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wow, you certainly were quick to pull that engine! I think, having done that, I would have had the head rebuilt.

Because it had some mileage on it and also because if he had done a leak down test before pulling it he would have seen the pretty bad results.

I think re-working the head would just about put the cost to repair in the "it ain't worth it" category. It's not over yet, but the frugal fat lady is warming up the vocal cords.

Well done, Bob. You've reinforced my believe in the difference between a mechanic and a parts changer. And alas, I am the latter, tried and true....

... and from a fucking newb, no less. Geeze. These new fangled newbs have no manners anymore. Now, I remember back in the day when I was a newb...

Erm. Well, come to think of it I guess I dont. All part of the CRS.

Now what the hell are we talking about here because I think I am very excited about it. Or maybe not. Whos up for some shuffleboard?

PS - @post-oak, with that forum name, and where you hail from, I bet you would have some good input to our BBQ / Smokers thread. Welcome to the forum. And remember, if we arent giving you a bunch of shit it probably means we dont like you.

Last edited by a moderator:
I just luv a story w/ a (Relatively) happy ending.
thumbsup.gif

tumblr_n40kqtKaKH1smcbm7o1_500.gif

Geeze, don't be sensitive guys, I tried to be nice! I missed where he did the leak-down test first. Anyway, I'm impressed by anyone who can yank an engine as easily as I change an oil filter.

Geeze, don't be sensitive guys, I tried to be nice! I missed where he did the leak-down test first. Anyway, I'm impressed by anyone who can yank an engine as easily as I change an oil filter.
Mercy is for the weak... LOL

Seriously... tough crowd for sure but you'll get flamed again if you don't catch up on a thread before making a criticism. Even the, ahem, "old-timers" get flamed for that.

I wasn't being sensitive. Remember it is very difficult to read someone's emotion from written words. (Unless, of course, it is explicit) It's all good. You won't be banned this time.
smile.png

I wasn't being sensitive. Remember it is very difficult to read someone's emotion from written words. (Unless, of course, it is explicit) It's all good. You won't be banned this time.
smile.png
Less typing, more working if you don't mind. If you don't get this thing done before EOM... If you cannot type and work at the same time, typing has to stop.

Finish fixing the bike, then type all you like.

I did mention armchair quarterbacking and critiquing did I not?
smile.png

Bob can type and wrench at the same time. He is that good.

In other matters, last night I had two servings of my cornbread dressing - it's also that good. Anyhoo, I had a personal leak down test this morning, and I failed miserably.

We now return back to your regularly scheduled thread.....

Man you old timers get to where you get a few thousand posts and you just look for nubis to pick on. Us poor innocent nubis are trying to make it thru a world of old timers with retirement bikes and we don't stand a chance. We poor innocent nubi guys are trying to figure out the best way to fold aluminum foil to drain an oil filter, how far we can get to the top on a fill up with gas, what type of 23 different greases to use for drive shaft lube, what kind of oil is best, who has the tuffest butt for which kind of seat, blue or red loctite, what kind of tires are best for what region and what kind of riding, fix-a-flat or slime or balance beads or rim weights or stick on weights or rope plug or nipple plug or tire lube or not to tire lube push left to go right or push right to go left or which way to lean in a corner which is opposite if you do corners with one hand the you push - pull - lean are different, how much is to much junk in the trunk and how much is not, how long to wait to pull over and pee and the list goes on.

Youns old timers have fergetted just how much stress we nubis are under. I am getting ready to start smoking weed just to calm down

Mr Intech what is the latest word on the scooter?

rolleyes.gif
bike.gif
rolleyes.gif

The bike is pretty much done. I have to do another valve clearance check. The bike will be back together this weekend and going home. If the clearances have tightened up since heating it up and hydro cleaning I will re-shim and go from there. I have a bottle of ring free to use in the first full tank. Will probably have him come back here after EOM and do another clearance check just for peace of mind.

And Ken, the tires are always 40 front and 42 rear. Now blinker fluid...that is a whole other story.

Foreign or domestic blinker fluid? OEM or that cheep Chinese knock off stuff from Wally World?

Petroleum-based blinker fluid only. You can stuff that synthetic fluid where the sun don't shine. Get the lighter viscosity for southern summers, too.