engine mount not centered on the frame

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WingedWheel

Reaction score
So I was puting on my new frame sliders and noticed the front right engine mount isn't centered to the hold in the frame. The threaded hole in the engine is sitting up just slightly. It made puting the frame slider on a little more difficult due to its design but it did go on.

Anyone else notice this or feel like pulling their mounting bolt to see what theirs is like?

I did one slider at a time. This is on a 2013.

I wish I had taken a picture at the time but didn't.

Thanks!

...noticed the front right engine mount isn't centered to the hold in the frame. The threaded hole in the engine is sitting up just slightly...
nerdsmiley.png

In engineering and quality many companies use alignments that are controlled by "true position" (look it up, it's complex) which allows the parts to move around a central point, yet not exceed a circular circumference ring (tolerance stack-up) and remain within spec. Even though the hole and frame aren't exactly centered they are still in acceptable tolerance.
confusedsmiley.png
It may look bad, but it is within required specification.

once you use a drift pin or other ham fisted method to line 'er up I'd say she's centered..

When I put my right hand frame slider on I swore I had the bolt cross threaded when putting the replacement bolt in. I then noticed it not being perfectly aligned. I did go in, but I was very nervous torquing it down. Actually I had the same experience with my 08. Glad it wasn't just me!

Ionbeam, that brings up a question in my mind: how much (in lb-ft) of an adjustment does one need to make when using anti-seize or for that matter lubed threads? Instead of going into a whole table or a set of equations is there simply a rule of maybe 10% or 20% less?

Since you replaced the bolts one at a time it may not matter, but the sequence for tightening the engine mount bolts is left one first then the right one. I believe the left one has a fixed mount location while the right one has an adjustable sleeve in the frame that the bolt goes through. The sleeve is adjustable left-to-right, so it won't help the alignment concern you describe.