Engine Noise

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Vulcan

Reaction score
I seem to ride in traffic a lot at around 4000 rpm. I have an strange engine sound between 3800 and 3900 rpm. It seems like the sound is coming from the left front corner of the engine and sound like an exhaust leak. I have checked the head pipes and all are tight. With the bike idling I don't feel any air like you would expect if there was an exhaust leak. When I rev the bike up to the noise rpm while standing beside it I don't hear the noise....seems to only there under load. Any ideas of things to check for? Bike is an 05 with around 1000 miles on it.

Is it a buzz as in you feel a buzz [slight vibration] all Yamaha's do this at about this RPM [my last 3 did]

I doubt you would hear a slight exhaust leak at 4,000 rpm in 5 th gear.

If there is a leak you will see a slight dicolouration around the header from where it is leaking.

Howard

duuuuuuude :( , I'd tell you what that sounds like to me but I don't want to be one of those guys spreading fear about imaginary ticking problems.

But, sounds like an exhaust leak, most prominent around 3800 rpm, comming from the left front of the engine?

You are describing the dreaded tick exactly.

Exactly.

But I'm not saying that's what it is, it may just be an incredible simulation.

I don't think I have the tick because -

1)It has done it since new

2)Bike has only a 1000 miles on it

3)Its an 05 model with the "improved" parts.

Last edited by a moderator:
Get your helmet away from the left side of the engine and you won't hear it.

I usually ride sitting up. :lol:

Actually mine does not do that but I rarely ride at 4000 rpm unless it is on the highway. Your "sound" seems odd. Would have to see/hear it. Is it something near the engine and not the engine since it is only at speed you hear this.

Ooops, Sorry, I missed the part about no noise under no load. Definately not the "dreaded" tick then.

And if it's only got 1000 miles, it hasn't even broken in yet.

Put another 1000 miles on it and see if it gets better or worse. You might be one of the guys you actually needs a new timing chain tensioner.