EOM 2015 - Location Discussion

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I like the idea of SW Virginia, Wytheville, Roanoke, somewhere in that area. VA-16, Burkes Garden, The Snake, VA-58, Blue Ridge, SE West Virginia . . . all in striking distance, plenty of major roads to get you there quickly. I'm overdue.

I have a tainted view of VA, but I would not let that keep the rally away. The western tip of VA plants you within striking distance of many highlights.

I like the idea of SW Virginia, Wytheville, Roanoke, somewhere in that area. VA-16, Burkes Garden, The Snake, VA-58, Blue Ridge, SE West Virginia . . . all in striking distance, plenty of major roads to get you there quickly. I'm overdue.

Last edited by a moderator:
I just want ya'll to pick September 11th weekend .I've had to work every date thats been picked sence I've owned my FJR.My brother has been the past two years and has had a great time. Keeping my fingers crossed. BTW,Wytheville is a great spot.

I have a tainted view of VA, but I won't let that keep the rally away. The western tip of VA plants you within striking distance of many highlights.

I agree with your opinion of Virginia. I'd much rather stay in West Virginia, even as far west as Parkersburg as suggested above, than Virginia. I am dependent on my radar detector.

FWIW, there is a hotel in Elkins that is inexpensive and very motorcycle friendly. The Iron Road Inn is across the street from the Super 8 on 219. It is about equal to the Super 8 in quality, offers a discount if you arrive by motorcycle. I don't think there is a banquet room but there is a large lounge that may serve.

Also, the Holiday Inn Express in Elkins offers a motorcycle discount and is a much nicer hotel, but costs around 100 per night.

Is it obvious yet that I like riding in WV?
bike.gif

I have a tainted view of VA, but I won't let that keep the rally away. The western tip of VA plants you within striking distance of many highlights.

I agree with your opinion of Virginia. I'd much rather stay in West Virginia, even as far west as Parkersburg as suggested above, than Virginia. I am dependent on my radar detector.

FWIW, there is a hotel in Elkins that is inexpensive and very motorcycle friendly. The Iron Road Inn is across the street from the Super 8 on 219. It is about equal to the Super 8 in quality, offers a discount if you arrive by motorcycle. I don't think there is a banquet room but there is a large lounge that may serve.

Also, the Holiday Inn Express in Elkins offers a motorcycle discount and is a much nicer hotel, but costs around 100 per night.

Is it obvious yet that I like riding in WV?
bike.gif
I posted a suggestion about Elkins in the other sandbox. I am going to do some checking.....

Ya know, I never hear talk of VA 80 between Honaker, VA & I-81. This road friggin rocks! I'm thinking Roanoke would make a good home base for an EOM... all except for that pesky radar detector issue. There is a cure for that issue... USE SOME SELF CONTROL... NO SPEEDING ABOVE 10 OVER. IF YOU MUST SPEED KEEP YOUR DAMN EYES OPEN.

& I see your comment above Wayne. Perhaps you & Greg should practice the self control route next time that you're in VA. I think the whole radar detector this is absolutely silly. (from a resident of the horrible state that hasn't had a ticket in YEARS... & speeds everyday)

& I see your comment above Wayne. Perhaps you & Greg should practice the self control route next time that you're in VA. I think the whole radar detector this is absolutely silly. (from a resident of the horrible state that hasn't had a ticket in YEARS... & speeds everyday)
Heidi...I think they target out of state plates.

RD friendly places should tip the scale. Most of us use them, and we don't want to hibernate them regardless of how much self control we should have.

Anything but VA is my vote, plus I've had issues with the VA State troopers before. They just don't like us yanks ;)

Without a RD I would be a pedestrian. Some states use radar a lot more than other states. I have ridden through VA several times now with my detector on, and it does not go off often. Also, when it did go off there were a lot of brake lights, so it seems that many people use their detectors in VA.

The detector issue aside, I still prefer riding in WV. That is probably because that's where I first learned to ride like a hooligan.
punk.gif

RD friendly places should tip the scale. Most of us use them, and we don't want to hibernate them regardless of how much self control we should have.
Anything but VA is my vote, plus I've had issues with the VA State troopers before. They just don't like us yanks
wink.png
I know a couple of State Troopers & I've never heard them say anything about targeting out of state plates. Are you sure that it's not your imagination, Joe? My thought is a speeder is a speeder. Its easy to place the blame on the fact that you're an out of stater. Are you sure that you weren't just speeding? Food for thought, right there.

I cannot say how ridick I really think that attitude towards VA is. & the comment about "most of us use them"... I ride with FJR riders alot... not just FJR riders from VA. The percentage of RD users has been extremely low over the last 10 years of my FJR ownership. I'm not a newb.

Maybe you should actually admit that your self control is lacking, KJ.

& above all... if there is someone that is willing to plan a meet, that person can say where the hell it'll be held if your not already aware. If they want to plan it in VA then you have the option of not attending if the RD laws outweigh having fun (with self control). There are some really, really good roads in this state, too. not to mention the potential for dropping off to ride in other surrounding states.

I'd say the RD issue has been expressed.
Now back to motel locations...unless you all want to turn this into an RD/Virginia discussion.
no.gif
Thank you Mark. And to Heidi's point, unless you are going to organize and or contribute to the planning just make a suggestion and leave it at that. I'll ride wherever it is held.

I'd say the RD issue has been expressed.
Now back to motel locations...unless you all want to turn this into an RD/Virginia discussion.
no.gif
unless you are going to organize and or contribute to the planning just make a suggestion and leave it at that.
Bob you know what I'm thinking
rolleyes.gif
...but I ain't gonna say it.

Latest posts