EOM 2015 Routes

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Anyone planning to navigate these routes using a smartphone or other internet connected device should rest assured that West Virginia is renowned for being well connected. You should have no problems streaming Pandora or using Google Maps, especially near the Snowshoe Mountain Ski Resort.

Last edited by a moderator:
Shit, you mean the latest maps are now 2016.1????!!! I thought I had the latest 2015.40 :-(

Ah well, hopefully not much has changed. I'm not going to fight with the downloading new maps now.

I agree that these routes are clean. Lee really knows what he's doing with creating these. Excellent work!

I've got weirdness in both BaseCamp (Mac, just downloaded) and RoadTrip. In RoadTrip, the routes come up as vectors between the waypoints. In BaseCamp, the routes stay on the road, but four routes are visible at the same time. I don't use the computer programs much, just import them into the GPS and go, but I want/wanted to eyeball the routes before I head north. Feel free to post up suggestions, or PM me to point out the error of my ways.

Make a List Folder for EOM 2015 (File/New/List Folder)

then make new lists for each route (File/New/List)

Put each route into its own list folder and you can view individually. Even if you have them all in one list, you can select them one at a time.

Note you have to change avoidances for the FJR Adventure Scenic route to allow unpaved roads. You can do this by adding a profile from Motorcycling, making the change, and naming it something like Motorcycling with dirt.

Or remind me what your email address is, and I'll give you finished Garmin files that should just import to Basecamp (3.9 MB).

Iris, In addition to maps at 2016.1, there is also an update to Garmin Express 4.1.5.0, and Basecamp is up to version 4.5.1.

Thanks, that did the trick. Four of the routes were "unlisted data," while the fifth was "recently imported." Exporting them to the unit was easy; I just did them as they downloaded, IIRC. They appeared to open okay. But with your tip, I can look at them individually in BC. I have the same versions of the SW that you listed.

Wayne, if you remember....we were late to dinner because of it! I'm not in shape to ride it this time, especially if we get in as many days as I have planned, we'll need to pace ourselves.
I remember that you left about an hour earlier than we did for the Hendersonville one.....and it was foggy as crap that morning.

We had lunch at a little place called "In the Country, LLC" located in Damascus Va.

Well, I guess there is a reason to do one now - I didn't realize anyone else actually finished that bad boy in Hendersonville. Lee made that one as a "let me screw with Wayne" thought.
Brenda and I finished the one from Hendersonville.......2-up.
Julie - there are twisties and curves - an EOM500 is not going to touch any expressway mileage...

Make a List Folder for EOM 2015 (File/New/List Folder)then make new lists for each route (File/New/List)

Put each route into its own list folder and you can view individually. Even if you have them all in one list, you can select them one at a time.

Note you have to change avoidances for the FJR Adventure Scenic route to allow unpaved roads. You can do this by adding a profile from Motorcycling, making the change, and naming it something like Motorcycling with dirt.

Or remind me what your email address is, and I'll give you finished Garmin files that should just import to Basecamp (3.9 MB).

Iris, In addition to maps at 2016.1, there is also an update to Garmin Express 4.1.5.0, and Basecamp is up to version 4.5.1.
All good!

But!, I would make a parent folder (as EOM) to encapsulate all the years ...much cleaner, especially if you go to a lot of events w multiple years.

Keeps your main file "pane" much cleaner, you only open child folders as needed. I find a clean file pane without open routes galore (it layers them on top of one-another) will make your BC much zippier as well. :)

EOM ->

-EOM 2013

--Route xx

--Route xxx

-EOM 2014

--Route cc

--Route ccc

-EOM 2015

--Route hh

--Route hhh

You would also make a parent folder for lets say NAFO etc. with the years 'folder' within, keeping the same file structure as above.

There are a few *minor* glitches I've found with the routes...

One, you'll wanna go down in the lower pane (in BC) and rename a couple of the Routes -> otherwise your import to GPS won't have the correct names...

Like: High Ground Wanton Promenade.... you will see it as "264 Coleman Dr to 687 N Jefferson". So simply rename it to the High Ground Wanton Promenade (right click file-name within BC, lower pane) before you attempt to export the .gpx files to your GPS.

(or) you could go into your GPS and rename the files (there) if you have already exported to your GPS.

^^^^^^My FJR Forum Friends: I went ahead and fixed KJ's "fuckups" below, no need to thank me eh! JSNS, you are entirely welcome ese!^^^^^

The slight all-asphalt amendment looks like taking Rte 150 south (Highland Scenic Hwy) to Rte 39 west, 39 will intersect back into the loop at Richwood.

If it's whett, or you just hate any off-asphalt stuff (LCB?), you may want to alter to this.

I emailed the links to myself, and then opened the links in google maps on my phone. It looks like that is going to work. Anyone else have experience using it like that? Technically speaking, I'm still a FNG.

I emailed the links to myself, and then opened the links in google maps on my phone. It looks like that is going to work. Anyone else have experience using it like that? Technically speaking, I'm still a FNG.
That will work, cuz it's not the actual .gpx route file, but rather the native google engine talking the same platform as your android.

My cell reception experience in WV has not been as good as prior mentioned^^^^. Snowshoe Mtn area (this past May for SEO I did this) and yes, but it wasn't long up 219 that it's gone. I'm on Verizon, maybe yours will be better down there than my spotty reception was.

I'd highly recommend a GPS with stored mapping vs. the cell-data tile-loaded ones. There are GPS apps for your phone (like Co-Pilot) that have the map already pre-downloaded. Expect at least 1.5gb of space for the mapping however.

I think that Tom was being a smart ass about cell reception. Snowshoe is near the Green Bank Radio Observatory & I "think" that nobody has reception near it. Verizon does have a signal in Lewisburg. I think that I remember a buddy with T-Mobile also had reception. YMMV

Welp.... If I'm gonna get lost, I can think of worse places than twisty mountain roads in West Virginia on the back of my Candy Red magic carpet.

(Insert banjo joke here.)

I think that Tom was being a smart ass about cell reception. Snowshoe is near the Green Bank Radio Observatory & I "think" that nobody has reception near it. Verizon does have a signal in Lewisburg. I think that I remember a buddy with T-Mobile also had reception. YMMV
Mike (wnyfjr) & Laura went to Green Bank last year on an excursion. On purpose, they have no cell, nor any radio towers for that matter in that very wide dead-zone vicinity. Mike has some cool stories and history of this 'no radio-wave zone', as they toured the place as well.

I'd say perfect place for an Amish community.
wink.png
Hey, Levi, ya hear this?

UFOs, brother. Scary shit in the middle of nowhere, WV.