EOM 2016 - Thank you and parting thoughts

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

extrememarine

Reaction score
Thank you and parting thoughts…

Another great FJR Eastern Owner Meet is in the books – wow!

I’d like to again thank the individuals who had a big part in making the event so successful.

- Clocklaw – Gerald and Brenda – The swag master extraordinaire, Rally Shirt guru and so much more! Gerald and Brenda put a ton of time and effort into the swag gathering once again this year as well as the shirt orders. The system we put in place for the shirts was exceptional – I think this is the first year in a long time where we knew the shirts ordered where there and handed out without any mix ups! THANK YOU BRENDA AND GERALD!!

- Lee Davis – Lee again assembled some exceptional ride loops that pegged the “wow” and “fun” meters! If you weren’t able to run any of them, you definitely missed out!! THANK YOU LEE!!

- JWilly (Jason) – Banquet MC and comic relief – Thanks for keeping things going through the door prize marathon!! THANK YOU JASON!!

- Fencer (Kev) – Comic relief and door prize marathon – He made a pretty good Vanna White, didn’t he?? THANK YOU KEV!!

Rob – (LKLD) – BeemerDons Hawaiian shirt contest – Huge thanks to Rob for putting that tribute together!!

Ms Tyler and Vic – Group photo cat herders – Can’t wait to see the official pictures and THANK YOU TO BOTH OF YOU!!

Pete (Hyperpete) – Local information gathering – Pete went out and flexed his Google muscles and put one heck of a list of local attractions and general touristy info together and posted it – THANKS PETE!!

Joe (El Toro Joe) – EOM event stickers – THANKS JOE!!

Registration Elves – There were so many who helped here, thank you to all; here’s some that I remember off the top of my head – Don, Steve (Bungie) and Mrs Bungie, Gerald and Brenda, Sheila, Joe, Brandon, Julie, and so many more. If you were there, please chime in and know we sincerely appreciated the help!!

If I missed anyone (and I’m sure I did), please call it out here!!

BANQUET MEAL - Not everything was perfect this year. I again offer my sincerest apologies to the last couple of tables that went through the buffet line and were not able to fully enjoy the meal. We saw a huge surge in attendance in the few days leading up to the event and even though we had planned the meal with a buffer, the total people present consumed the buffer number we set. This was a concern I had with a location where we’re forced to use an outside caterer. There was a similar issue with the meal hosted in Hendersonville a few years ago, but with that one I was able to work through the issue with the caterer and it was fairly transparent to the audience. This time, I was not so fortunate. I am very sorry for that. For anyone at either of those two tables, I can offer a refund of the meal cost if needed – please PM me here or via FB or email.

Venue – generally speaking, I think the hotel was a pretty good location and event venue; hot breakfast, the pub/bar/restaurant on site, gas / convenience stores nearby, and easy access to great roads. The room cost was an exceptional value in my humble opinion. The hotel has already extended an offer for rooms at the same rate if the event were to return next year.

Carnage. I really hope we can work towards reducing the number of mishaps out on the road in the future. Thankfully, everyone made it back to share in the comradery at the end of the day, me included. Trust me folks, the last thing you want to have to do after loading a bike into the back of a truck is ride your wingman 3-up 150 miles back to the hotel. Ride your ride.

The bright spot in this how in a time of need, everything stops and assistance is there. From the mini-tech day in the parking lot to fix Vic’s ailing bike to the Spklbuk Express, dropping what he was doing Friday to bring a truck and ramp to the VA/WV boarder to pick up JWilly’s bike. This is an exceptional group of folks!!!

If you have suggestions to improve the event, please share – if you have a complaint, then come to the table with a reasonable recommendation or solution.

Wayne

Wayne, thanks to you and the entire crew...you guys & gals are like calm-looking ducks on the surface, but furiously padding under the surface to deliver as smooth an operation as possible despite the problems.

THE EFFORT IS VERY MUCH APPRECIATED!
punk.gif

Personally, I liked the venue...great location, great roads, and friendly staff. The rooms weren't bad either, both in the rate and the cleanliness. I do hope that, if we should return, that they staff their bar/kitchen a bit better...

Last edited by a moderator:
I really like the venue, riding, rooms, etc.

I had no issues with the restaurant because I got there before the rush. Obviously short staffed, but that bartender was hopping as fast as I've seen. The food was very good, what I had, the pork tenderloin special.

I feel bad about the catering headaches...but the food we had was awesome.

To everyone involved putting the EOM together. Fantastic Job!!! This was a great event and a fantastic location. As an "outsider" (non FJR guy), I am starting to understand some of the characters and culture of this FJR bunch. This was my second EOM and I have attended a few other FJR events. I have to admit, I really enjoy the comradery and the true sport touring riding that you all embrace. Thanks for letting a few of us share the fun.

I liked the venue. Lots of great roads nearby, close fuel and stores for any last minute or forgotten items. Meal was good and it is unfortunate there wasn't enough for our ctowd.

Thank you Wayne and the rest of the volunteer staff!

Wayne, you and all the folks that helped pull this year's EOM together, did a fantastic job. The venue was great, especially at that price. The banquet room could have been a little bigger, for the size of our group, but it still worked. EOM is always a highpoint of my riding season, and I thank you for that. Can't wait for next year's event.

The catering job, and the riders going down, were the down spots. Really though, it's impossible to foresee them, or if you could, do much about them, in the time allotted. However, in the grand scheme of things, it means little. Really, we had quite a few riders go down, and none...I repeat NONE were seriously injured! If all those riders goes down, and no serious injuries...then it was a success.

There were many, many more things that went right! The weather was superb, and the roads were even better! My God, did we enjoy those roads!

I thought the motel did an excellent job accommodating our large group. From the front desk, to the bartender/waiter, to the room service, all of them were friendly and willing to help any way they can. I, for one, was pleasantly surprised by their willingness to accommodate us.

The banquet gathering itself was great! Other than the food shortage, was fun filled and chock full of goodies! It was a little tight fitting, but that didn't matter, as we all were laughing and catching things thrown out. Tables competing with each other, with the screaming and antics, was hilarious!

The parking lot gatherings, didn't disappoint. Everyone was having a wonderful time, conversing with old, and new, friends. I met many new friends, and got to know a few old friends even better!

Really Wayne, you should be very proud of what you put together, for such a large, diverse group of people. Your support staff was exceptional! Doing anything and everything that was needed.

Personally, I feel a better job couldn't have been done...by anyone.

I humbly thank you, for a job well done. :good:

P.S. So, when will you put up a thread, in regards to date and location of next year's? Because Marie and I can't wait!!

I want to add a gigantic personal shout out to the pit crew that chose to spend (all freakin' day!) working to fix my spider bite issue when they could've been riding. I'm at a loss to find the words that can express my gratitude. Mike (Powerman), Barry (Bust-a-nut Joker), Gina (GinaMcD) and Paul (Asphalt Junkie).

I was about an hour from Clocklaw's place in Franklin, TN where I was going to meet up with MEM and ride with her to the EOM. That plan went south real quick when the spider bite hit. MEM had to ride alone while Clocklaw trailered my (and his) bike to the EOM. I figured the place to be was at an event that was being attended by 100+ FJR owners instead of canceling the ride and gone home. I made the right choice. I rode my bike home. Thank You, Guys! Gina, where I come from youz guys includes the ladies. Lol

Awesome job to everyone involved. Even though my bike went home on a trailer and I was a little banged up I had an awesome time! Look forward to next year's event.

Great event! Tammy and I had a great time seeing friends and meeting new ones. The roads were great (even in a Mini). The quality of the food was good and the door prizes were outstanding (thinking about resoling my shoes with my new TechSpec Gripsters).

The amount of personal time, prior to the event, spent by Extrememarine, Clocklaw, Brenda, Jason and the rest of the crew was evident. We really appreciate all work that went into planning and preparing for something of this size.

On a side note, I wanted to thank all of you for your kind words, thoughts and prayers relayed to my wife and I this weekend.

Wayne, you said not to bring a complaint without a solution, here goes. In order to provide better entertainment, we would be willing to pay a little extra to hire a better stripper for the second floor than Barry.

Gunny! on what everyone else said on EOM.

A couple of quick things...

1. I heard several people comment that that was a good location and, especially considering the excellent roads in the area and the incredible value pricing at the venue, would be perfectly OK with returning there for '17. Count Sooze and I in that group.

B. Wayne - I meant to ask you, who did the graphic on the front of the shirts? If you ask me, it's pretty kick-ass and whoever did it deserves an atta-boy. Or att-girl. Or ... you know.

Wayne, thanks to you and the entire crew...you guys & gals are like calm-looking ducks on the surface, but furiously padding under the surface to deliver as smooth an operation as possible despite the problems. THE EFFORT IS VERY MUCH APPRECIATED!
punk.gif

Personally, I liked the venue...great location, great roads, and friendly staff. The rooms weren't bad either, both in the rate and the cleanliness. I do hope that, if we should return, that they staff their bar/kitchen a bit better...
Agreed on all counts... to say organizing an event of this magnitude is a challenge is an understatement and I speak from experience.... you did the very best you could do, Wayne, and sometimes chit happens but you endeavored to handle it with aplomb and tried to appease the natives to the best of your ability. Perhaps next year, you have to make a hard deadline for registration even if it's a friend that says, hey, can I join in last minute? Sure... but get your own dinner!
wink.png
The hotel was a great value and, being a VA newb, I thought a brilliant location to launch in all kinds of directions... a plethora of riding riches and I wouldn't mind going back to sample some more. Thanks to everyone for their efforts and I so very much loved seeing friends on that side of the country and adding a few more to that list.
wub.png

Big thanks to Wayne and everyone else that helped organize EOM!!

As for the thought of a possible return to Wytheville:

I have heard nothing but huge praise for the routes Lee posted. I doubt anyone had a chance to ride all of them. Most people had time to ride two. So there are more routes already available if you decided to have the event there again. I'm sure more could be posted by EOM 2017.

As far as the hotel....check in was easy, bar on site is a big plus, and having gas, food, etc all close by was excellent. My room was basic but very clean. Having doors that opened to the parking lot was also convenient. And the hotel was very accepting to the parking lot festivities. One other key feature was parking. It wasn't like people car pooled. Lots of bikes, but the Ramada had a ton of parking. And you just cannot beat that price.

If you decide to have it somewhere else....great. If you decide to have it at the same place....great.

Wayne, you said not to bring a complaint without a solution, here goes. In order to provide better entertainment, we would be willing to pay a little extra to hire a better stripper for the second floor than Barry.

Well, for what it's worth you couldn't expect much for what they pay
sadsmiley.gif

I earned 3 bottle caps, a chicken bone, four cigarette butts, and 17 cents.
uhhuh.gif

You can't expect top shelf for that!

Wytheville was a great location, I would be okay on another re-visit with-in a couple of years, or even next as mentioned.

On an alternative, how about a lil more south, closer to Asheville NC? ....JS'

08.png

Ironically I was on Skyline drive and BRP last Wednesday and Thursday on a riding vacation with my wife around Lexington VA. I kept wondering why I kept passing FJR's until I ran across some people at the Peaks Of Otter who explained they were on the way to the meet. I thought everyone in Virginia loved FJR's.

I give a big thank you to all the organizers for organizing, fellow riders for great fellowship in the parking lot, and Allen ""Allen_C", and Mike "BlacknWhite23", Kevin "Fencer", and Lisa "LCB" for letting me hang out and ride with them this weekend.

Oh! and I better not forget to thank the three great police officers, and the grumpy bastard in the white pickup, that we allegedly passed on a double yellow section of highway, for providing the parking lot entertainment Friday afternoon upon return form our spirited ride. Hopefully someone is able to produce a picture of this flashing LED parking lot event.

I work side by side with many good, and a few not so good police officers on a daily basis and those two officers I spoke to were some of the best I have ever been pulled over by ran into. I treated them with the respect and the apology they deserved, and they treated me better than I could ever ask for.

@d7cook - Great to see you found us here. I was the other 2014 you were talking to there.
thumbsup.gif

I'll chime in and agree with the general consensus here that the venue was pretty damn good this year. And given that Josie and I were only able to sample one of Lee's routes this year, coming back to the same location to ride the others is a definite possibility. And with another 12 months at least, maybe a couple more new ones could be drawn up. I have no complaints about this year's event.

The catering SNAFU was kind of a downer for those few last tables, but that could be fixed next time. We all make mistakes now and then. Call it a "learning experience" and move on.
wink.png

[constructive suggestion]

What we have done in the past at the NERDS events (that works really well) is that the hotel dining room caters the buffet dinners (actually every night, if you want) in their dining room, and attendees can "pay as they go", only if they want to. We just need to give them a rough estimate of # of attendees, but there is zero obligation on our part, and the staff is always on hand to replenish the all-you-can-eat buffets during the dinner. They usually will even have a roast beef carving station in one of the corners of the room for the big dinner on Friday or Saturday night.

That kind of setup provides a lot of flexibility for attendees and completely removes the lazy organizer (which would be me) from getting involved with catering any of the meal(s) beyond the head count estimate. It is also what enables us to not have to collect any rally fees, since there is also no meeting room to rent.

Not sure how difficult it would be to find another place like that, that would do something similar down south. It's one of the several reasons that we keep going back to the same venue in Stowe (Commodore's Inn). Ask anyone who has attended one and they probably tell you, it isn't the cheapest place around, but it is worth the cost for the total convenience.

Maybe if the idea was run by a hotel that has a full dining facility it could work for EOM too? The incentive for them would be that the dining room (and their cash bar) would make more doing that than just catering a meal in a BYOB meeting room.

[/constructive suggestion]

Latest posts