EOM 2016 - Thank you and parting thoughts

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
To everyone involved putting the EOM together. Fantastic Job!!! This was a great event and a fantastic location. As an "outsider" (non FJR guy), I am starting to understand some of the characters and culture of this FJR bunch. This was my second EOM and I have attended a few other FJR events. I have to admit, I really enjoy the comradery and the true sport touring riding that you all embrace. Thanks for letting a few of us share the fun.
You may need to be assimilated
punk.gif
I may know a guy who can help.
no.gif

Wayne, you and all the folks that helped pull this year's EOM together, did a fantastic job. The venue was great, especially at that price. The banquet room could have been a little bigger, for the size of our group, but it still worked. EOM is always a high point of my riding season, and I thank you for that. Can't wait for next year's event.
+1

Great event! Tammy and I had a great time seeing friends and meeting new ones. The roads were great (even in a Mini). The quality of the food was good and the door prizes were outstanding (thinking about resoling my shoes with my new TechSpec Gripsters).
The amount of personal time, prior to the event, spent by Extrememarine, Clocklaw, Brenda, Jason and the rest of the crew was evident. We really appreciate all work that went into planning and preparing for something of this size.

On a side note, I wanted to thank all of you for your kind words, thoughts and prayers relayed to my wife and I this weekend.

Wayne, you said not to bring a complaint without a solution, here goes. In order to provide better entertainment, we would be willing to pay a little extra to hire a better stripper for the second floor than Barry.
IMG_1564_zpsn8zprqih.jpg

Thank you for the kind words and constructive suggestions.

Nothing wrong with shifting south - I rode past Little Switzerland a couple of times during the week. Primary concern with that specific venue would be the cost. A quick call to confirm pricing - October is considered the "peak" season and rates. So off peak (September) rates would be $159 weekday / $189 weekend with the possibility of a 5 to 10% discount in a group rate according the friendly lady I just spoke to. A typical EOM weekend (Thur/Fri/Sat nights) would run $507 plus tax for lodging. This would be an excellent venue, but bring a premium price as well. There could be venues in or around Asheville, its worth exploring.

little%20switzerland%20rooms_zpsgygpgmig.jpg

Banquet meal (@FredW) - we've used outside caterer's twice since I've been involved with EOM. Hendersonville, NC and Wytheville, VA.

In both cases, the hotel we were at did not offer in house catering, forcing the use of a local vendor. There were issues with both. In Hendersonville, in the various conversations had with the manager, he failed to mention that he stopped accepting credit cards until 1pm the day of the banquet. I hustled back to the hotel, moved funds from my personal account and had them wired via western union in Hendersonville so I could pay for the meal. This was transparent to the group. Point being, you're correct, the best option is to find a hotel that has a restaurant on site with a banquet catering service provided. Lewisburg, Cumberland Falls, Maggie Valley, Johnson City all fell into this category.

With Wytheville, there were no hotels with banquet / conference rooms to handle 100+ people. There is a convention center that was available at a cost that could handle more, but you're in the same boat with catering, plus having to ride / car pool there. There seemed to be a significant amount of adult beverages consumed before the banquet, so riding to a dinner venue is out of the question.

I'll toss this out there - for anyone making suggestions for a venue, here's the starting point - 100+ rooms, conference room / banquet space for 120+, Gas / Grocery/ convenience stores nearby, a restaurant/bar/lounge is a huge bonus, free hot breakfast is a plus - all this near enough scenic riding to support 2-3 route loops.

Wayne

The whole event was fantastic! Hotel room was clean, comfortable and a good price. The ride routes were the best. I'm going to come back next spring to ride the other routes. Wayne you and the others who helped did a great job.

Wayne and crew. I echo all the congrats and thanks wholeheartedly. The personal time and effort that you guys put into these events is astonishing and greatly appreciated. I had an excellent time, thought the hotel was great, the buffet excellent (barring the unfortunate issues), the roads outstanding, the weather exquisite, etc., etc.

Thank you so very much.

Ken

Any future event that tops EOM2016's bang for buck ratio will be something tom behold.

Even if I do not get another bike by next year, may show up in a cage again. However, may take the truck with trailer...just in case to be useful.

Gotta say, tried a Mini Cooper meet. Totally different kind of group. Never been back.

Last edited by a moderator:
Even if I do not get another bike by next year, may show up in a cage again. However, may take the truck with trailer...just in case to be useful.
Gotta say, tried a Mini Cooper meet. Totally different kind of group. Never been back.
^^^^ Ran out of likes! So, LIKE!! ^^^^