EOM 2018 - Location Discussion

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

extrememarine

Reaction score
Let's talk about it...

A quick review:

• EOM 2003 – Front Royal / Staunton, VA
    EOM 2004 – Townsend, TN
    EOM 2005 – Townsend, TN
    EOM 2006 – Boone, NC
    EOM 2007 – Brier Inn, Lewisburg, WV
    EOM 2008 – Brier Inn, Lewisburg, WV
    EOM 2009 – Holiday Inn, Johnson City, TN
    EOM 2010 – NAFO – Marriot, Knoxville, TN
    EOM 2011 – Cumberland Falls State Resort Park, Corbin, KY
    EOM 2012 –Hendersonville, NC
    EOM 2013 - Maggie Valley, NC
    EOM 2014 - Maggie Valley, NC
    EOM 2015 - Lewisburg, WV (Quality Inn) (116 Guests)
    EOM 2016 - Wytheville, VA - Ramada Inn
    EOM 2017 - Wytheville 2.0 - Ramada Inn
As a reminder, here are the basic requirements we look for in a venue: lodging for 100-120, meeting / banquet space for 100-120, and fantastic roads near by. Close to gas stations, breakfast & dinner options, on-site restaruant / bar / lounge a huge bonus.

Here is some of the research already completed.
- Maggie Vally Inn - is available on weekend of 9/22/18.
- Fontana Village in NC (on NC-28 near Robbinsville, NC) is open 9/15 & 9/22, but loding prices are over $100/night even with group rates.
- Have contacted Ironhorse Lodge in Stecoah, NC (also on NC28, near Robbinsville, NC), no response yet on total lodging occupancy.
- Cumberland Falls, KY - pending contact
- Research pending in North Georgia as well

Open to any and all suggestions, so let's hear them!!

Wayne

Update (Consolidated Comments).

Kentucky:
- Cumberland Falls area - coal mine traffic is a concern, riding is not the typical twisties of W.NC, more open rolling type terrain (from our 2011 visit).

North Georgia
- Helen venue - Helendorf River Inn & Conference Center - https://www.helendorf.com/
- Helen venue - Unicoil State Park Lodge - https://www.unicoilodge.com
- Clayton, GA - Days Inn, Quality Inn & Suites - NO CONFERENCE ROOMS
- Hiawassee, GA

North Carolina
- Maggie Valley Inn & Conf Center - repeat venue - open 9/22/18
- Ironhorse Lodge (Stecoah, NC - south of Fontana Village); 10/24 UPDATE - BOOKED for Sept 2018.
- Townsend / Boone - CONFIRMED - HOTELS HOLD ROOMS UNTIL FOOTBALL SCHEDULE IS RELEASED; HOME GAME = HIGHER RATES AND CROWDS. (IIRC, the issue with Boone is tied to the football schedule at Appalacian State University. Hotels base their rates on whether or not it is a home game weekend, and will not set up room blocks until the football schedule is released, which is not until late August / early September.
- Franklin, NC
- Sylva, NC
- Cullowhee, NC

Tennesse
- Johnson City, TN

West Virginia
- Pipestem State Resort Park
- Twin Falls State Resort Park

Last edited by a moderator:
All the choices sound mighty tasty, Wayne. I wouldn’t mind being in the Robbinsville, NC area. $100(ish)/night isn’t all that bad considering the area and it being once a year. I’ll go anywhere that gets the most votes. I’m easy. :yes:

I still like Lewisburg. Multiple rest and gas right next door and big parking lot.

Maggie Valley also works.

Maggie Valley based on my recent experience in the area.
cool.png

P.S. The Buckhorn Lake Resort was pretty cool too.

When I lived in SC, I stayed at the Ironhorse quite a few times - from cabins to bunkhouse to tent camping.

I got a return call today, unfortunately they are already booked with groups for September 2018.

Fontana Village is in play, and right up the road.

I like the idea of a place similar to Ironhorse Lodge.
It allows for different accomodations at varying expense. I personally prefer to camp I'm sure there are others as well.

Just one opinion.

Georgia is a bit more of a trip for us northern folks. I did the ride down from Troy MI to Wytheville, approx 460 if i remember. I know the FL people would be all 'sure, i'll be up there this afternoon'.

Not that i don't enjoy Georgia though.

As this was my first EOM, i certainly don't have much knowledge of riding different areas, So i guess i'll sit over here sipping my apple cider and watching the goins' on.

https://www.alleghanyinn.com/

The Alleghany Inn at Sparta NC is a pretty good motel that hosts Motorcycle Sport Touring Association events and is near Boone.
I've stayed there, not a bad place...I don't think they can accommodate our banquet needs...Maximum 65 people.
Who needs a banquet? I would be happy just to ride meet folks and partake in libations drink in the parking lot.

Fixed it,

Dave

Consider this https://tryon2018.com/

If half the hype and speculation is true (500,000 attendees) anywhere near WNC will NOT be the place to be in late Sept.

Scoff at the hype, but look how fast the day passes sold out
ohno-smiley02.gif

No idea, before my time, never had any details beyond that it was there...

Anyone still here who was present in 2003??

Out of curioucity where did they stay in Staughnton VA.
Thanks,

Dave
My bike was there with the original owner. No idea where they stayed & I don't know how to get a hold of him, either. I think that Dirk (Krid) may of been there. He rarely frequents the forums, though. I only see him @ EOM.

https://www.alleghanyinn.com/

The Alleghany Inn at Sparta NC is a pretty good motel that hosts Motorcycle Sport Touring Association events and is near Boone.
I've stayed there, not a bad place...I don't think they can accommodate our banquet needs...Maximum 65 people.
Who needs a banquet? I would be happy just to ride meet folks and partake in libations drink in the parking lot.

Fixed it,

Dave
I've stayed there several times in the past. Banquet facilities a no-go, though. Everything else is probably good. Not a ton of food places... but there is a restaurant or two in the area. They have also hosted Sport-Touring.net events.... not only MSTA.