EOM 2018 Location Poll - Vote Now!

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

extrememarine

Reaction score
EOM 2018 Location Poll

There has been some great conversation about venue location for EOM on these two threads FJRiders.com and FJRForum.com

Thank you to those who’ve helped by making phone calls and visiting the various locations suggested by the group. I’ve put together this list for us to consider for the 2018 EOM gathering. These places have the room and conference/ banquet space available during September. Here is a map as well as some information on each venue.

I’ll leave this poll open for voting for a week or so on both forums and the Facebook Event page.

The Map:

20171106075042-44d2ee72.jpg

The List:
Name - Location
Fontana Village - 300 Woods Rd,Fontana Dam,NC,28733
Maggie Valley Inn - 70 Soco Rd,Maggie Valley,NC,28751
Comfort Inn - 1235 E. Main Street,Sylva,NC,28779
Genetti Hotel and Suites - 200 W 4th Steet,Williamsport,PA,17701
Days Inn Flatwood - 350 Days Drive,Sutton,WV,26601

20171106075041-eb53bd77-me.jpg

One question would be if it is in PA should it be moved up a week. PA might have slightly cooler weather at that time. The way this September went it wouldn't be an issue. We are just starting to get a cold spell this week. First time this year.

Dave

PA would be a nice change, closer to our CA neighbors and New England folk. WV is a nice balance, as well. I'll need to see more feedback for ride venues before voting (northern Vermont is very similar to the '17 EOM, just saying).

The problem with that is the hotel is not available earlier. The chart shows it - they can only accommodate us with rooms and banquet space on the 22nd. That is the only date open right now.

One question would be if it is in PA should it be moved up a week. PA might have slightly cooler weather at that time. The way this September went it wouldn't be an issue. We are just starting to get a cold spell this week. First time this year.
Dave

I think we're going to have to revote with just the top two in the running...
Looks like there are really only two in the running...looks like either Maggie Valley, NC or Williamsport, PA...flip a coin
I know I sound a little nutty on this, but I say in case of a tie, consider the effect that the World Equestrian Games will have on the western NC area and call 2018 EOM for Pa and 2019 EOM for Maggie Valley.

https://www.usef.org/media/press-releases/6289_attendance-to-the-alltech-fei-world-equestrian-games-tops-half-million

and what was the world economic state then?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FEI_World_Equestrian_Games

Last edited by a moderator:
I vote for any of the NC locations. As much as I would like the Fontana Village location, rooms are steep. close 2nd is the WV location. I'll be looking to ride. I'll probably sightsee a bit... but will will be hoping for some technical riding. Sightseeing is not on the top of my agenda when going to these meets. If it happens... great. If it doesn't... great.

This will be a big event for the area, and for those involved in the equestrian community. It's already been mentioned in our house already because we attended (as spectators) the 2010 event in Lexington, KY.

Traffic in and around Lexington was heavy, but only a minor inconvenience that did not last very long. We stayed south about an hour or so from what I remember.

In my opinion, as big as it is, it's not going to turn the mountain roads of western NC into a parking lot. Now, if you decide to run down I-26 from Asheville to Spartanburg, that's going to suck...

Looks like there are really only two in the running...looks like either Maggie Valley, NC or Williamsport, PA...flip a coin
I know I sound a little nutty on this, but I say in case of a tie, consider the effect that the World Equestrian Games will have on the western NC area and call 2018 EOM for Pa and 2019 EOM for Maggie Valley.

https://www.usef.org/media/press-releases/6289_attendance-to-the-alltech-fei-world-equestrian-games-tops-half-million

Noted.

Coin flip completed - best 3 out of 5, and it went to... (I'll let you know later...)

This will be a big event for the area, and for those involved in the equestrian community. It's already been mentioned in our house already because we attended (as spectators) the 2010 event in Lexington, KY.

Traffic in and around Lexington was heavy, but only a minor inconvenience that did not last very long. We stayed south about an hour or so from what I remember.

In my opinion, as big as it is, it's not going to turn the mountain roads of western NC into a parking lot. Now, if you decide to run down I-26 from Asheville to Spartanburg, that's going to suck...

I-26 between Asheville and Spartanburg isn't part of ALL the good EOM2018 routes?

Wayne,

Can you share the results from the other sand box so far? It's been a real long time since I logged in over there.

Dave