EOM 2018 - Maggie Valley, NC - September 20-23, 2018

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Why worry? Whatever is going to happen will happen. Next week, say Tuesday, we will know facts and can make decisions based on those facts.

Love the NWS and NOAA and their data-driven estimates, but they're just ESTIMATES.

After 18 years of living in Tampa, I can say this is factual: for three days after a hurricane, the weather is FABULOUS.

Why worry? Whatever is going to happen will happen. Next week, say Tuesday, we will know facts and can make decisions based on those facts.
Love the NWS and NOAA and their data-driven estimates, but they're just ESTIMATES.

After 18 years of living in Tampa, I can say this is factual: for three days after a hurricane, the weather is FABULOUS.
Hopefully that is not just a Florida thing. Seems like Hurricanes bring moisture, but also seem to take it with them. At least the airborne variety.

Often very beautiful days right after a Hurricane.

I remember one late in the season several years ago were we actually had a cold front drop down after the storm. Sure made it nice, since there was no power or AC.

Unfortunately the mountains handle flooding and high winds very differently than places like Tampa. I've seen first hand how regular storms impact the southern Appalachians and sometimes it ain't pretty. It is not unusual to see sections of mountain roadways closed for months after a big storm passes thru.

And this storm is now projected to slow down and dump more rain. National Hurricane Center Director Ken Graham on Florence: "Up to a foot of rain is now predicted places in the southern Appalachian mountains as projections shifted the storm’s eventual path southward."

...See you all next week
punk.gif

My brother just shared a really cool weather website: www.ventusky.com Should be perfect for work when the FJR Forum can't keep your interest.

Last edited by a moderator:
Cool site, is it me or is the jet stream totally screwy right now. I assume what your seeing is actual real time no?

Dave

To all of you guys that can make it have lots of fun but be save. Me I pull the plug coming from the south road are going to be block or to much debri!!

Cool site, is it me or is the jet stream totally screwy right now. I assume what your seeing is actual real time no?
Dave
Jet stream has been screwy since February, at least as far as the east coast is concerned. Wettest year I can remember in a very long time.

Dan

They have closed the BRP (see news release below). Hopefully this will pass without too much damage and it will be fully open next week.

News Release:

Entire Blue Ridge Parkway To Close Ahead of Hurricane Florence

On Friday September 14, 2018, the entire 469-mile Blue Ridge Parkway and all associated facilities, with the exception of the Pisgah Inn and Peaks of Otter Lodge, will be closed at 8:00 p.m. in anticipation of high winds and heavy rains due to the remnants of Hurricane Florence. Saturated soils in combination with high winds in these areas increase the risk of rock slide and falling trees and debris. This closure will remain in effect until further notice.

I'm out.... bikee no startee & not a bunch of time to muck with it. I've been in touch with Bob (Intech) & he's planning to help me get her up and going at a later date. In the mean time, no riding for mua. Very much 2nd to that... I'm apprehensive about what that storm does to those mountain roads. Ya'll be safe & have fun.

yeah me too. Oh, my comment about the storms... Bald River Falls should be spectacular if it doesn't have any landslides getting to it. You guys have a good time. There will be other EOM's for me. I'm thinking my last hasn't passed me by. I am kinda' glad that I'm not stressing to get this all ironed out in just a very small window of time. I "totally" stressed myself about this hurricane, whether I'd flood or get a tree on my house & can use the break from stress related shit. I also have a birthday party that I wanted to attend & was regretful I wouldn't make it. EOM would've taken precedence over a bday party. Now I can go.

I received a note from Beth at the Maggie Valley Inn.

They took in a large group of evacuee's from New Bern, NC this week - these were residents of an assisted living facility that were evacuated ahead of Hurricane Florence. They are scheduled to depart this Thursday - Check in day for must of us.

Beth is asking for our patience for those checking in on Thursday. Depending on the time of departure of the exiting group(s), housekeeping may still be working on turning over the rooms. This may create a delay in room availability for those who arrive early in the afternoon.

For those who find themselves in the Maggie Valley area early in the afternoon on Thursday, I'd suggest spending some time at the Wheels Through Time Museum as a way to fill in some time before checking in at the hotel.

See everyone at the end of the week!

Wayne

I've spoken with the hotel manager and a friend of mine that lives in the area, and the roads are fine in the Maggie Valley area and SW. Also, the rain that is forecast around the time we will be there is to the N and E. So it's game on for me. BRP may still be closed, but there are plenty of other great roads to choose from. In fact, I have seen some of the best weather right after a hurricane comes through.

I received a note from Beth at the Maggie Valley Inn.

They took in a large group of evacuee's from New Bern, NC this week - these were residents of an assisted living facility that were evacuated ahead of Hurricane Florence. They are scheduled to depart this Thursday - Check in day for must of us.

Beth is asking for our patience for those checking in on Thursday. Depending on the time of departure of the exiting group(s), housekeeping may still be working on turning over the rooms. This may create a delay in room availability for those who arrive early in the afternoon.

For those who find themselves in the Maggie Valley area early in the afternoon on Thursday, I'd suggest spending some time at the Wheels Through Time Museum as a way to fill in some time before checking in at the hotel.

See everyone at the end of the week!

Wayne
Considering all of the flooding in New Bern, I'm wondering if they will actually be able to return there so soon.

Dan

Looks like everything is open in the area with the exception of the Blue Ridge Parkway (which they closed last week preemptively). I do not think they were hit with too much wind/rain in the area so I would not be surprised to see the parkway reopened before Friday. To check and see if it reopens click here for the NPS road closure map. There are a HUGE number of great rides in the area even if they do not open the parkway. One really nice ride is 63 or 209 to Hot Springs. Another really cool ride is to the Dragon and/or the Cherohala Skyway. The Cherohala is a must see IMHO. And if the Parkway does reopen the southern end of the parkway will blow you mind if you've never seen that. Unfortunately I just canceled my reservation as my mom's lengthy battle with cancer ended Saturday so I have to be with family and friends this coming weekend. I hope you guys and gals have a fantastic EOM! Ride safe!