EOM 2019 Discussion

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Heidi,

I must be slowing down. Scenery is becoming more of my forte. Not that I can't hang with the best of them. LOL

Dave

luvtoride posted: .... I realize there are "some" hills & bumps in PA but is the intention to sight see ride? ... I'm only going by what I've heard others say in the past.
Not trying to start a fight, but there are some interesting highways in central and western PA. (Learnt during my recent passage from Atlanta, DE, to Atlanta, NY.)

Pennsylvania's mountains start near Morganton (WV) and roll through Frostburg (MD), north and east between Harrisburg and State College, and end near Wilkes-Barre. If you look at a highway map, most roads parallel the mountains, and they're not very challenging. A few roads run across the mountains, and THOSE are the ones that will make you smile.

Like PA 85 from Loysville to Reeds Gap, or PA 641 from Roxbury to Rockhill. Couldn't begin to guess at any little bitty fun roads in the Alleghenies, but I'll bet they're similar to the little bitty fun roads around Maggie.

There's also a lot of state/national forest lands north and west of State College that make me think of Hooterville riding ecosystems.
coolsmiley02.gif
Always better to hoon it up where you expect very light civilian traffic.

As for where I think the Marine should hold EOM, I offer no opinion except I'll try REALLY HARD to get there, so's I can drink beer with all y'all FJR lunatics.

Heidi,
I must be slowing down. Scenery is becoming more of my forte. Not that I can't hang with the best of them. LOL

Dave
Forgive me for saying this but there has been scenic rides in EOM planning for those more interested in sedate riding. Just not ALL the rides. lol! I'm thinking that if we pick PA sedate for the most part is what is going to happen... minus a couple of good ones.Probably no stringing good ones together even close to back to back. I'm not sure if this has been brought up last year... but that would be my biggest concern about moving that far north. I mean, it definitely would be more fair, for real... but at that cost, likely. To those it makes a difference to, there it is. Damn those women!!! I'm also not trying to start a debate... but likely should be taken into consideration when voting. Heck, maybe that's what the majority want. I realize there's more to life than twisty roads. WAIT! Did I just say that!?!?!?!?! lol.

Last edited by a moderator:
13 votes for a venue further north, but no posts with viable suggestions other than Wellsboro, and Beckley, WV.

Help the cause here - hotels and roads...

I've stayed at Cumberland Falls on my way to SEOR last year with Turk & friends and we hit some really nice roads through KY... it was a nice place and I'd think good for a group event and it seems there is some history there as well...
icon_e_wink.gif

I've stayed at Cumberland Falls on my way to SEOR last year with Turk & friends and we hit some really nice roads through KY... it was a nice place and I'd think good for a group event and it seems there is some history there as well...
icon_e_wink.gif
Not to mention they brew up some good bourbon.

</blockquote>

Not to mention they brew up some good bourbon.</p></blockquote>

You could be on to something.

13 votes for a venue further north, but no posts with viable suggestions other than Wellsboro, and Beckley, WV.
What about this?...posted by Mr. Meadows, in the other sandbox...

"Have you investigated group rate on a lodge room? I haven't. But I'd bet it's competitive. This is the state park in Lewis Co. WV.

But yep. Here ya go.

https://www.flatwoods.com/days-hotel.aspx

Edit: https://www.flatwoods.com/conference-center.aspx banquet space/catering.

https://www.flatwoods.com/"

I made a quick call to Flatwood Days Inn. A group rate is 95.39/night/rm 2 queen beds. Lots of rooms available for Sept 19-22, 2019 Banquet room is available and can accommodate 120 people, more if needed. If this location is selected more information can be obtained at that time.

Wayne, did some preliminary research on Beckley, WV yesterday. Also planned to look at Summersville, WV. Beckley has several hotels that would likely work... Country Inn & Suites, Holiday Inn & Hampton Inn all have banquet/meeting facilities, food & gas nearby. The Holiday Inn which is the priciest has an onsite restaurant. Flatwoods, WV would also work for me. I was also going to look into venues in VA. The problem with VA being that there are a couple of colleges/Universities out yonda in the direction that we'd be. If there is a ball game, VA is out.

Tyler, we did one EOM in KY a few years back. Cumberland Falls as a matter of fact. I have heard NO chatter about returning. I'd be open to discussion on this one.

Tyler, we did one EOM in KY a few years back. Cumberland Falls as a matter of fact. I have heard NO chatter about returning. I'd be open to discussion on this one.
EOM 2011 was at Cumberland Falls SP...nice place, dry county, good roads...but I wouldn't camp there again...No sir...not doing that again

Cool - thanks.

Something I noticed with comparing information from a hotel's website and calling them; the website will say they have a meeting room or conference facility - and they do, but the catch is that max capacity is often less than 30-40 (i.e. they are small rooms).

I'll get a list together from both posts and consolidate it with details.

Wayne

Wayne, did some preliminary research on Beckley, WV yesterday. Also planned to look at Summersville, WV. Beckley has several hotels that would likely work... Country Inn & Suites, Holiday Inn & Hampton Inn all have banquet/meeting facilities, food & gas nearby. The Holiday Inn which is the priciest has an onsite restaurant. Flatwoods, WV would also work for me. I was also going to look into venues in VA. The problem with VA being that there are a couple of colleges/Universities out yonda in the direction that we'd be. If there is a ball game, VA is out.

Cumberland Falls was a solid venue - restaurant and catering on site, banquet space, lodging options (including camping, which if I recall, Joe was a voice is asking for that..)

It was a dry county. But who remembers what was in JWilly's trunk?

wr

Cool - thanks.

Something I noticed with comparing information from a hotel's website and calling them; the website will say they have a meeting room or conference facility - and they do, but the catch is that max capacity is often less than 30-40 (i.e. they are small rooms).

I'll get a list together from both posts and consolidate it with details.

Wayne

The banquet room factoid may go for Hampton Inn & CI & Suites... but Holiday Inn's website had the actual banquet facilities layout shown. It looked pretty big. I believe it stated that it can seat between 120-140 peeps & the only downside of Cumberland Falls was the dry county thing... but that is easily remedied.... especially with JWilly's trunk.

I missed this years trip to MV because of my wife's knee replacement so I'm ready to go! I went to Williamsport this spring with a few fellow FJR riders on the way to SEO. Had a good time, nice roads to the north, hotel was just ok, no place for parking lot racing but the bar was nice. Good restaurants near by-I'd go there again. Wherever you have it I will go!

George

Latest posts