EOM and Blue Ridge Parkway (which direction?)

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

deagle

Reaction score
Seems Wytheville is about the half way point on the Blue Ridge Parkway. I have never been on it. Thinking about riding part of it one of the days during EOM.

Which direction is the better way to go from Wytheville? Northeast or Southwest? Or is it all the same?

Thanks,

Don.

South for sure. Much more elevation change and more curvy. Where are you coming from? The best of the best is from about Boone, NC to beyond Asheville going south, but that would be too far for a day ride out of Wytheville. Get it on the way maybe???

OK I see Michigan in your profile. Could drop down to Knoxville, TN area. Run the famous Dragons Tail, Hiway 129 south of Knoxville and then take 19 east over to pick up southern end of Parkway at Cherokee, NC and run north to Wytheville all way on the BRParkway if you have enough time for that approach.

Thanks for the answer. I am limited on time getting to EOM and back, so was thinking of riding part of it on Friday during EOM. I would drop down from Wytheville to the Parkway, ride it for about 5 hours, then hit the expressway back (like 2 hours from google maps). Figured could do that ride going either direction....just didn't know which way out of Wytheville would give me the best scenery.

Thanks for responding. Time to map it out.

Don.

Last edited by a moderator:
Don, you could get on the BPR at Fancy Gap, take it down to US 321, take US321 up to US 421 to Shady Valley (lower half of the Snake), 133 to Damascus, US 58, I 81 back to Wytheville.

The scenery from the BRP is very pretty, but the road itself is not really motorcycle heaven, with its modest speed limit, IMO. But a beautiful drive, or ride. Still, the most outstanding thing I found on the Blue Ridge Parkway involved a stop, not a ride. That was the Blue Ridge Music Center, affiliated with the National Parks Service and located just a few miles north of the VA/NC border. It looks like just another visitor center-type building, but when I rode by there was a hand-lettered sign on the road saying "Music Today." I turned around and went back, and found two dozen or more local musicians in a performance area inside just playing together for their own pleasure--real authentic mountain bluegrass. It was Great! I got the impression it was very common to find this kind of thing going on there. All free, and a very intimate setting to see the performance. If you happen to go this way, don't go past it. You might end up with fewer miles that day if there are live performers, but it will be time well spent.

Watch your speed on the Blue Ridge, if a remember correctly, it's 45mph! The Parkway police like to lay low at athe bottom of a hill and catch speeders comming down?

Don, you could get on the BPR at Fancy Gap, take it down to US 321, take US321 up to US 421 to Shady Valley (lower half of the Snake), 133 to Damascus, US 58, I 81 back to Wytheville.
Thanks Joe. I had taken a quick look and planned to go a bit further based on CCook82's recommendation. I was looking at getting on the Parkway at Fancy Gap and taking it as far as Pineolo, then 194 North to 19E into Johnson City to book home. Was about 6 hours total that way, with under two on the expressway home. And 19E looked interesting.

I'll map out your route next. Your way cuts down the expressway, but loses a bit of the Parkway. Lord knows I need to save some energy for the Ramada parking lot. I exhausted myself last year visiting the ice machine.

Speeding on the BRP is a Federal ticket & will not show up on your DMV record. That being said, the price of said ticket can be very steep. I believe it is up to the discretion of the ranger that catches you but can rape you of up to $500. Speed respectfully... I'm not going to tell you about that one time at band camp when we were going PRETTY damn fast on the BRP going to EOM in Hendersonville.

Also beware of getting on Skyline Drive. While it's a pretty ride, it's a lot of 35 mph riding, with 25 mph in some spots. There are very few exits on it, so popping in and riding at 35 mph and figuring the next exit is 45 minutes riding at 35 mph isn't much fun. If you have time, it's a nice ride, but man, it's a slow trek.

Parkway does have a low speed limit, but nowhere near as low as Skyline Drive. So here's what we did on the parkway in NC last year on our "long way" to EOM: To make it a little funner, use your cruise control! Set it for 10 over the posted, but don't release it for the corners. That will make your ride smooth, relatively legal, and still give you plenty of fun. Can only pull this off on weekdays, as weekend traffic will have you doing the limit or less.

Just watch out for those 4 legged critters, especially in the AM. I came around one tight and blind right hander and a good sized doe and her li'l Bambi were standing on the center line paint. I just held my line (but did disengage cruise) and stayed off the brakes and the missus and I swished on by. Dem damn deers exited stage left before the folks following us ever got there. Was a pucker moment that could have turned out much worse, of that I'm well aware. Better to be lucky than good lookin'.

Speeding on the BRP is a Federal ticket & will not show up on your DMV record. That being said, the price of said ticket can be very steep. I believe it is up to the discretion of the ranger that catches you but can rape you of up to $500. Speed respectfully... I'm not going to tell you about that one time at band camp when we were going PRETTY damn fast on the BRP going to EOM in Hendersonville.
I was there for that...I think we averaged somewhere around 20+ over for most of the ride. That was a fun day.

Southeast is my preference - the section in and around Ashville - Mt Mitchelle is just east of Asheville.

FJRFarrier and I went to Mt Mitchell and back on Saturday of EOM 16 - but the return involved a long stretch of afterburner to get back in time for the banquet.

Wayne

I'd love to hit the Snake while at EOM. Wasn't sure how feasible the trip would be.
Not a problem at all, Dave. You can do the Snake and a few other great roads, in the same day.