Epic fail. - Need to pull the head -

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks Don. It was all the same day tho. Pulled the valve cover about 7am to check the cam timing, and pulled the head off about 5pm the same day to find the definitive damage to the valves.

Amazing what 12 beers and a saws-all can do

sounds like the Don Carver school of high technology.
smile.png

Thanks Don. It was all the same day tho. Pulled the valve cover about 7am to check the cam timing, and pulled the head off about 5pm the same day to find the definitive damage to the valves.
Amazing what 12 beers and a saws-all can do
Steve Irwin was once my hero, now you are! Good deal dude.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm just wondering why the mechanic gets off scott-free when they missed the timing doing a cam chain and tensioner replacement. I would think the valve noise would have been obvious leaving the dealership if they screwed up...or maybe I missed something.

The other weirdness is Silent can pull and engine and rebuild the head, and he hired someone to do the tensioner? That's a tough way to learn a lesson you don't want the monkey messin' with the bike.

Your hero? He nuked his engine!
The engine isn't nuked. Just 2 bent valves. The seats are probably not even damaged because of how they were bent. I'll know more tomorrow. I dropped the head off for an inspection and repair since I don't have the tools to do that one myself.

I'm just wondering why the mechanic gets off scott-free when they missed the timing doing a cam chain and tensioner replacement. I would think the valve noise would have been obvious leaving the dealership if they screwed up...or maybe I missed something.
The other weirdness is Silent can pull and engine and rebuild the head, and he hired someone to do the tensioner? That's a tough way to learn a lesson you don't want the monkey messin' with the bike.
I was helping out a friend that's shop was struggling for work, otherwise I would have done it myself. Sometimes it pays to help people out, sometimes it doesn't. My friend no longer owns the place, and the mechanic no longer works there. As for the noise, there's no obvious noise if the exhaust is off by a single tooth.

Your hero? He nuked his engine!
Yeah, but look what happened to his last hero!

I was helping out a friend that's shop was struggling for work, otherwise I would have done it myself. Sometimes it pays to help people out, sometimes it doesn't. My friend no longer owns the place, and the mechanic no longer works there. As for the noise, there's no obvious noise if the exhaust is off by a single tooth.
There may be a reason they struggled for work
wink.png

Damage looks to be 2 bent valves and cracked valve guides. Not to difficult to repair, shouldn't cost to much.

Head came back on Friday, and I spent the better part of Saturday putting the motor back together and hanging it in the frame. Tough job solo, but doable. I finished off the install on Sunday and took a 25 mile romp on the slab as a test ride. Seemed to be running a bit rich. Reset the throttle readings on the PC3 (they were off) and reloaded my custom map. Now the bike is happy and purring like a kitten. I rook it out on a 50 mile loop of city and mountain roads and I noticed that my mileage went up from 27.7 to 38.2. No issues or leaks. I did switch to Mobil 1 Dino at the same time.

punk.gif