ES Suspension

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chazglenn3

FJR Supporter
Reaction score
Now that we have some members that have put some major miles on the ES suspension, I was wondering how the new system is holding up. Have any of you noticed a need for new shocks or springs yet?

Have any of you noticed a need for new shocks or springs yet?
Nope! I've ran two 2014 ES including being a beefy dude and packing heavily with LD/rally gear including an auxiliary fuel cell and they seem to be properly sprung. Still planning that when the shocks or forks need to be overhauled...to use the stock units.

Over 58,000 miles on my ES to date, and no reason to replace any suspension elements. I like a hard/harsh ride -- it complements my commuting into the Big City -- and currently use 1-up plus luggage, Hard, 0. Works fine

I carry a fair amount of shit (briefcase, cold weather gear, tire repair kit and pump, complete Big Money Rally bonus listing, and miscellaneous pens/pencils/clips) in addition to my 180-pound self.

This year should see at least another 15,000 miles, so ..... we shall see.

Has anyone replaced bushings in the forks yet? If so, how many miles, what was the condition of the ones that came out?

That last question is a good one. In 271,000 km I had the fork bushings replaced twice on my Gen 1. I wonder if the inverted forks are more ir less prone to wear. Interested in hearing the thoughts on this.

Canadian FJR

Last edited by a moderator:
@chaz what do you consider"high mileage" on an fjr?

As for the ES forks, bushings are not user replaceable and appears to require replacement of the forks to change. That's the bad news. Good news is that I'm not aware of anyone who has needed the bushings replaced - I have 58k on mine and know otters with 80k+ miles.

Well, I've got to sail against the tide here.

Part exchanged my 2014 this Wednesday. Got a phone call from the dealer, "Had I noticed anything funny with the handling?"

"No" said I. But then I'd not done any "spirited" riding for a while.

"Well, the rear suspension is dripping oil all over the place, it must be nearly empty."

And, in retrospect, I'd noticed the new bike's ride was higher than the old, and where I park my bike in the garage there's a bit of a brown stain, though definitely not a puddle as the dealer suggested there might be.

So, a failure. Ok at 15000 miles (serviced and annual MOT test), failed by 18000 when I finally left it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, I've got to flow against the tide here.
Part exchanged my 2014 this Wednesday. Got a phone call from the dealer, "Had I noticed anything funny with the handling?"

"No" said I. But then I'd not done any "spirited" riding for a while.

"Well, the rear suspension is dripping oil all over the place, it must be nearly empty."

And, in retrospect, I'd noticed the new bike's ride was higher than the old, and where I park my bike in the garage there's a bit of a brown stain, though definitely not a puddle as the dealer suggested there might be.

So, a failure. Ok at 15000 miles (serviced and annual MOT test), failed by 18000 when I finally left it.
A failure, agreed. Not a wear issue. Was this repaired as a failure and covered under warranty/YES?

...A failure, agreed. Not a wear issue. Was this repaired as a failure and covered under warranty/YES?
Out of warranty (2 years in th UK, and we don't get a YES option). But the dealer is picking up the tab, which I consider to be good of them since it was certainly faulty when I finally rode it in, even though I didn't know that then.

AllenC, how many miles do you have on your ES now? I still only have 30k, but it feels as fresh as when it was new.

To the OP - I did a poll on this last year which you should be able to find on this forum somewhere (I’m too lazy to look for you)

AllenC, how many miles do you have on your ES now? I still only have 30k, but it feels as fresh as when it was new.
To the OP - I did a poll on this last year which you should be able to find on this forum somewhere (I’m too lazy to look for you)
Only 58k. I didn't get to ride as much add I hoped last year! Last winter, although warm, was very wet as s this winter has been very cold!

Ex-forum member griff has close to 100k miles on his ES, and I don’t think he’s has to do anything to the suspension yet. Boy is getting his money’s worth on the YES coverage!

Ex-forum member griff has close to 100k miles on his ES, and I don’t think he’s has to do anything to the suspension yet. Boy is getting his money’s worth on the YES coverage!
Yep, he's only changed fork oil and seals once. No issues.