Euro Garmin Software?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SpeedyR

Reaction score
I am planning a trip to Italy in a month or so and was just checking out garmins' website for the european software for my 276c.... and it's outrageous!!! I think somewhere around $350 retails for the city select Europe...

anyone know if there are any other options? I checked Microsofts street and trips but they only have canada and US. I won't be riding much so just having the software on the computer and the GPS hooked up to it would be ok but figured I'd ask and see if any of you have other suggestions, or if there's another garmin software that's worth the money. I might go ahead and get the Garmin Euro city select anyway but was a bit shocked to see the prices...

suggestions welcome!!!

jeff

I agree, Garmin do charge to much for their software.

They have to make money somewhere and that's as good a place to start I guess.

The other option you have is a TOMTOM or Magellan unit.

Try renting one in Europe, may be much cheaper. ;)

The problem is that in the USA the maps are considered public domain, as they are paid for by the government (read: taxpayer).

In the EU, carthography is done by a commercial company (Navtech) that sells these maps to whomever needs them, like GPS builders, and you will find that a license for the software/maps is quite similar regardless of what you buy. (approx $100 for an update, and $350 for a full/first time buy)

Does the 276C use the standard Garmin Map Quest software that I use on my Vista? Ian