Ex-Connies looking to work on their FJR's.... Minnesota

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

carlson_mn

Reaction score
Okay since the forum won't let me do a group PM I'll just paste my PM into another thread here....

Hey dudes,

Mike mentioned you guys were talking of getting together to hang out and do a couple valve checks/adjusts. I'm deployed to DC area until the end of January so I won't be around to do any "dude" stuff until probably mid-February since I'll have some catching up to do with the wife and daughter when I get back.

When Mike and I checked/fixed his valves he caught on pretty quick so I think he would be pretty well able to help you with any of the small FJR specific things. Make sure you have the right sized 10mm wrench to undo the cam chain tensioner.... know how to drain your coolant the easy way (drain bolt on bottom of block).... have the right sized torx and hex bolts for the valve cover and coolant pipes. Couple other things like that, simple but if you don't have the right tool you'll get stuck. Also we highly recommend a proper 1/4" inch-pound torque wrench for the cam guides should you need to remove them, overtighten them and the cam can get a little misaligned and make noise as Mike found out.

Gotta know what to look for and have an understanding of how the timing works. I messed that up my first time as did Mike's mechanic.

Mike and I were putzin along on his and we had to take the cams out and back in a couple times and fiddle with the timing for quite a while and I think we spent a total of about 4 hours. If his timing had been good and all we had to do was the valve check I consider it about a 90 minute job not including removing and installing the body work which is thankfully really easy on an FJR.

I'll talk to you guys later and if you decide to have a wrenching party sometime in February or later hit me up, I'd like to make it if I can!

- Matt

Well hoping those guys would be willing to wait until Feb. Not a terribly difficult project and once you've watched someone do it, it kinda takes away the fear of tearing into the engine the little bit that's required. I for one though would feel better if you were able to make it Matt. But if Feb. doesn't work out for those guys Matt, I'll do my best to carry & pass on the valve check torch.

Either way, I'm looking forward to it. Those COGers, who now see the light, are a wild & crazy group.

Mike, Thanks for coming and lending a hand on our 1st ever COG/FJR tech session.

The assimilation has begun......