Exhaust to loud?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Silent

Who said FJR's don't do dirt?
Reaction score
Does anyone have a trick or tip on making an after market exhaust quieter? My stock cans were damaged pretty bad astetically, and I decided to change them out for a set of shiny slip ons from a Suzuki Blvd. It turns out that the slip ons are a lot louder than I'd anticipated. I'd considered packing some stainless mesh (kinda like Brillo pad) into the inlet side of the muffler to potentially break up the sound waves, but I'm unsure if that would even work. I'm running the stock headers. I torched the old cans off, and have welded a 1.5" stub about 4" long on the end for the slip on to bolt to.

DSC_4601.jpg

DSC_4599.jpg

There has to be an old school cure for this other than just wearing ear plugs :D

Just bought a set of baffels to try out from FleaBay. At $15 they can't hurt :p

baffels.jpg

You can add a washer inside the baffle to slow things down a bit. I'm talking about a washer that will fit just inside the baffle, towards the end of the baffle, with maybe a 1" or 7/8" hole in the middle. What bike is this on? Obviously an I-4 with a 4 into 2 exhaust, but not an FJR. The CC of the bike makes a huge difference in the ID of the washer...

Old School -- "Snuff-or-Nots":

Closed:
exhaust4_snuff1a.JPG

Open:
exhaust4_snuff2a.JPG

A judiciously placed (big) washer (welded, bolted, etc., ?) has a similar effect.

(edit: like 'mscott' mentions...)

years ago i read that some HD slipons would bolt on to the xs1100 exhaust just as your current slip on are now.

you should be able to find a set pretty reasonable.

cadmman

I'd hate to replace the cans I just replaced :huh: I picked these up for $30 off FleaBay

The "Snuff-or-Nots" look like the old bypass systems people put on 60's muscle cars back in the day. I'm not an engineer, so I've very little idea of what size hole would be enough for 2 cylenders of an inline 4.

Ohh, and it's a '79 XS11. You can follow the link in my sig B)

Try the baffles you got off of Ebay. They look like they would do more than a washer would do. You just have to slow down the flow and keep it in the "muffle" part of the muffler a little longer to "quiet" it down some. Those look like they will do the trick...