Exhuast Header Pipe Repair and 80,000 mile service

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gcopter

Reaction score
(This may a bit long :) )

Just pushed my 2005 with 80,000 miles on it out of the garage after a month and a half of work. It all started from a nasty dent in the number four pipe at the bottom 90 degree turn on the exhaust header. Hit something on the freeway about 8 months ago that nearly tossed me off. Did not find the dent until I changed the plugs at the 72,000 miles service and noticed some issues related to temperature. Recent valve inspections had been fine. Found the dent and started researching new header pipe. Just over a $1100 for a new one so I chose to try and get it repaired. I waited until my rear tire was bald and front brake pads were toasted to do the header pipe. 80k worked out well for I had lots of things to do. Pushed it in to the garage and put the center stand up on blocks and went to it. All plastic off the bike, EVERYTHING headlight assembly included. Built the front end stand and pulled front end apart. Forks, Radiator all the way to exhaust header. With everything off it looked funny a garage full of parts and the bike hanging with just a frame and engine.

Took the exhaust header pipe for a drive. Could not find anyone in Southern California that would work on the thing. Used to be a guy in Santa Monica that would repair them but he retired. Found a mechanic that works for Jesses James at West Coast choppers that has his own shop now and he was willing to give it a shot. The guy does amazing work!!!! Ended up cutting the dent out with a torch and brazing steel over the 90 and reshaping it. The big intent was to open up the tube to allow exhaust thru. Ran it down the street to a local paint shop and asked them if they could dip the whole pipe to cover the new steel with original coating. He ended up powder coating it flat black with high temp paint good to 2500 degrees. All new crush washers for the pipe and back on. While the exhaust was out I spent 2 days cleaning and straitening all the fins on the radiator. Plucked all the rocks out of it and shot a coat of paint on it. At 100,000k I plan to put a new radiator on and will also install a rock guard. Went thru every electrical connection on the bike next and cleaned and inspected.

Onto the Fork tubes next. Overhauled the fork completely. Started with a damper rod bolt at the bottom of the left fork tube. The right looked like new but the left showed electrolysis corrosion. So pulled both forks apart and replaced all slides, o-rings, and dust seals. New damper rod bolt for the left and new crush washers for both side. Also replaced the springs for they were nearly a half inch stretched. Only 15 bucks for each spring.

Before reassembly I cleaned everything that could be cleanable. Reassembly was nice and easy thanks to ALL the input from this forum and all the links for different issues as well as the service manual. First thing was new tire for the rear. Serviced the rear final drive and drive splines. Then onto the rear end plastic, and new air filter. Also replaced the rear brake caliper seals as well as a braided line and new pads. Cleaned up the disc as well. To the front Header pipe went on and put the cans on (all stock). Radiator and all related parts and refilled. (Started up just to make sure of any leaks ran perfect first start after 30 days). Then onto the forks and front wheel. No issues there. Put all settings back to stock and will adjust them out tonight. Went completely thru the front brakes. All new seals for the calipers, new braided lines, and new pads. Installed new front tire and brakes and bled them as well as the rear. As well as change of clutch fluid.

With the front end done it was starting to look like a bike again. So I moved onto the steering bearings. Just inspected and re-torque. Under the tank and new plugs and did the oil change and then onto the valve clearance inspection. Just the normal minor stuff there. All plastic was cleaned and polished and reinstalled. Polished the wind screen with metal polish and got most of the scratches out (had hit a sheet of plywood on the freeway … long story but a good one). New grips for the originals were perfectly smooth. Tossed a new battery in as well. Tomorrow I will synch the fuel injection and go for a nice long ride. My jeep has beaten the crap out of me for the past month not only time wise commuting but gas prices SUCK. All said and done I spent about 800 for all the parts. Worked out well for labor did not cost anything and been enough rain days that I could justify driving the jeep to work ;)

Just finished a nice break in ride for the front and back brakes.

Ready for anther 80,000k and next week she is paid off!!!

Thinking about anther bike to start riding any suggestions (I’m not getting rid of my 05 though)

Ride Safe

Gary......

Last edited by a moderator:
Good for you Gary!

Many might have blown the old girl off for a new one, but you gave her the "Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance" tango, and you can dance together for a good long time yet.

Awesome. Only 17k on my 04, I feel like it's practically new!

I have a dent in my header from unloading the bike. The whole damn ramp came down, despite the safety strap!

Never considered fixing/replacing. I don't think it's had any effect on the bike, but I always wonder. "Could that thing effect air flow?"