Extremely Bad Week For Bikes and Deer In Baltimore

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ari Rankum

NAFO Karting Champion, 2012
Reaction score
It started with a 5AM strike last Monday that put a local rider in the ER.

Today, traveling around the top side of the Beltway, I came onto a ginormous blood stain, I mean buckets-worth, in my lane. Scattered all over the lane were very large chunks of biomass, all of them fur covered, I'm pretty sure. Then, at the end of the mess, the seat rail off a motorcycle. Man, it didn't look good. Finally, passing north through where I had my strike in 05, in precisely the same place, there's this huge dead deer that some other poor bastard just hit.

This is really beyond what's reasonable. While I understand that there are far fewer deer hunters around than there used to be, there are plenty of hunters who'd be more than happy to eat a bunch more of them if the state would extend the season as well as double or triple the limit.

Out here in Columbus there's no shortage of deer. With all the new neighborhoods that sprout up, the deer just get displaced into the streets. I've been fortunate, so far. The amount of constant scanning and concentration required to ride the country wears on you. I'd vote to extend the season and the limits!

What with all the left wingers goin vegetarian...and all the tree huggers trying to save the animal planet all this is understandable. :feminist_en:

We almost eradicated the plains Buffalo so it's possible, but suburbia is so close to the hunting grounds the poor hunters are met with opposition.

They've darted out in front of, and beside me, at both dusk and pre-dawn but I do try and remember to shoot up a prayer when I'm throwing my leg over the seat.

This year I stuck one deer whistle on both bikes, I'm not sure that they do any good, but at $8 for a pair, unless they attract them, what's the downside?

It's really something I can't control, other than avoiding hot spot roads at dawn and dusk.

What with all the left wingers goin vegetarian...and all the tree huggers trying to save the animal planet all this is understandable. :feminist_en:
Right, like there is no such thing as a right wing veghead. I know plenty of liberal minded folks who would like to see the deer population greatly reduced. :clapping:

Today, traveling around the top side of the Beltway, I came onto a ginormous blood stain, I mean buckets-worth, in my lane. Scattered all over the lane were very large chunks of biomass, all of them fur covered, I'm pretty sure. Then, at the end of the mess, the seat rail off a motorcycle. Man, it didn't look good. Finally, passing north through where I had my strike in 05, in precisely the same place, there's this huge dead deer that some other poor bastard just hit.

This is really beyond what's reasonable. While I understand that there are far fewer deer hunters around than there used to be, there are plenty of hunters who'd be more than happy to eat a bunch more of them if the state would extend the season as well as double or triple the limit.
Same carnage down here on the Capital Beltway. If you want to see really bad, north 270 and east bound 70 to Baltimore. Looks like someone opened up a slaughterhouse on the side of the road.

They keep teling us here in KY that the deer populationis DOWN 17% b/c of a disease brought on my the drought and lack of water. Based on two close experiences last week and the carcasses in the middle of the interstate, I'd have to disagree with that "study"

Scattered large chunks of biomass, all of them fur covered

[SIZE=14pt]SWEEEEEEEEEEET!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!![/SIZE]

This is a BEAUTIFUL story , exceptional in every detail!!

As far as I am concerned, the only good deer is a dead deer.

It has forever been demonstrated that these mangy vermin can not understand that large, fast-moving objects on asphalt represent danger and death.

And they won't avoid walking on asphalt and killing motorcyclists, so..... fuck 'em. As far as I am concerned, hunters oughta be able to mow 'em down 12 months a year!

Last edited by a moderator:
Ari,

One of the reasons for the sudden onset of deer in front of cars/bikes....it is rutting season for dear right now. Just a couple of days ago, a 10pt. buck darts out in front of my truck at 8:30pm....whooooaaaa that was a close one. Just another 5 feet or 1 second it would have been a different story.... a heart swallower just as well.

Be extra vigilant out there for the next couple of weeks until their honeymoons are over.

Can't be too soon for me...now where is my hunting license?

Shoot Ari, I think if a person wants to limit out on bow, blackpowder, and rifle/shotgun, this year's Maryland limit per person is something like 42 deer!!! I just wish there were more people trying.

Bob

ps - I'm with Warchild on the need to NUKE 'EM

How could anyone want to kill such a magnificent creature!

roe-deer-5220.jpg

Without one of these!

grill.jpg

I live in a wooded neighborhood a quarter-mile away from a large city park, and see at least 6 deer most nights on my way home from work at 3 AM. Most people have problems with the neighborhood dog or cat shitting in their yard; I keep stepping in deer scat. This year they ate the vast majority of plants we have in our landscaping.

I've got a cousin-in-law that's the great white hunter type - 5 will get you 10 he's wearing camo on any given day - with an urban hunting permit. I keep asking him to bring his bow and crossbow over. I've got a walnut tree in my back yard that'd make a great spot for a tree stand, and I make a mean venison tenderloin.

How could anyone want to kill such a magnificent creature!
roe-deer-5220.jpg

Without one of these!

grill.jpg
:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

KILL IT! EAT IT!

I said it before and I'll say it again, we need to start a lobby to push for a new meat industry with year round harvesting. Get it in the resturants get it in the homes. Fuck for all i care get it in the dog and cat chow but for god fucking sakes GET IT OFF THE STREETS!!

'tis the (deer) season. Every year I have a couple close calls with deer between Oct. and Jan.

I am also noticing all the deer visible mostly at dusk and dawn. Mating season has buck chasing doe all over the place.

I hate 'cause its great riding weather but risk is very much increased.

I've also noticed all the deer hits/kills on the roadside as a reminder.

Steve

I can't respond to this without giving advise to the government. Therefore, I'll just read what people have to say.

Latest posts