Extremely low MPG

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Another way of posing the question is, after you go on reserve and start the countdown numbers...how many miles or km will the bike travel before it totally runs out of fuel?
Read a few of the many posts on this topic and you see numbers that group around 50 miles/80 km.
As many have said - ‘your mileage may vary. . . . .”
-Steve

Read a few of the many posts on this topic and you see numbers that group around 50 miles/80 km.
As many have said - ‘your mileage may vary. . . . .”
-Steve
I am usually very comfortable with 100+ kilometers under normal back roads riding conditions. Considerably less at elevated highway speeds, headwinds etc. The time I filled with 24.7 litres was only 70 km after hitting reserve on the Trans Canada Highway in Saskatchewan in a strong headwind while pulling a trailer. Mileage does vary and I rely on the trip meter and the average consumption meter, especially riding in adverse conditions.

Get to know your bike and take note of how much to fill your tank when you hit reserve. Once you know that number, you can hit the average MPG gauge reset and KNOW how far you can go before panicing. Expect to be able to use almost all of the remaining fuel, if needed.

Makes me long for the two shut-off valves on my old ‘72 BMW! They each had a “reserve” position that provided about one liter of gas and extra miles until empty. Although I actually did run out of gas a few times while on various tours.

I guess I do prefer having a gas gauge on my FJR - even if it is rather optimistic! I have yet to run out of gas.

YMMV

In the short time I have had my Gen 4 I have found out what you guys already know. RiderJoe is right - the fuel guage is just a guesstimator. Also the Range counter is of little value. On my bike after a fill up the range counter starts off at over 300 miles and stays over 300 miles for quite awhile!! I can't understand why Yamaha would even allow their software to put out a number that NO ONE can come close to getting range-wise. I am going to take the Range counter off the programable display as it just confuses me. Has anyone found any value to the Range counter? Also - my display of miles per gallon is ALWAYS optimistic. When I manually calculate the actual after filling up to the same exact level each time, it is about 3-4 mpg lower than what the bike's computer thinks. What good is it to have this information that is wrong always ?? Is this common with all FJR models around the world ?

Forgive me if I have missed this bit of information: What is actual run-out gallons/liters ?

Does anyone know what the actual runout gallons/liters is ? How far can one go before running out of gas and at that time how many gallons/liters does it take to fill it to the bottom of the tank fill "cup". Another way of posing the question is, after you go on reserve (trip-f) and start the count-up of numbers...how many miles or km will the bike travel before it totally runs out of fuel? I have never run it dry but I would like to know about what I can expect for miles/km after the last bar starts flashing. Thanks

It would not only be different for different people on different bikes, it would be different for the same person on the same bike under varying conditions. I've had the low fuel warning start flashing at 175 miles on a freeway in Arizona running 85 mph into a strong headwind. And I've run 225 without it coming on when riding with a group that was just toodling along at 55 mph. So, I can reliably say that my low fuel warning comes on somewhere between 175 and something more than 225 -- I'm thinking maybe 250 and would know if I could stand to ride that slow that long. ;)

I set my trip meter at most fuel stops. I can glance at it and usually guess pretty close to when I'll need to fill up. That's worked for me since Johnson was president; I'll just keep doing it.

Makes me long for the two shut-off valves on my old ‘72 BMW! They each had a “reserve” position that provided about one liter of gas and extra miles until empty. Although I actually did run out of gas a few times while on various tours.

I guess I do prefer having a gas gauge on my FJR - even if it is rather optimistic! I have yet to run out of gas.

YMMV

My ZRX has a petcock with a reserve position, but it's been on reserve since 1999. :) I've done that with bikes with petcocks since about 1984 when I got my first bike with a gas gauge. It was an '83 Suzuki, and the petcock was behind some bodywork on the left side behind a stupid little door that I couldn't operate with gloves on. I stopped once to get off and open that stupid little door, and it stayed on reserve after that as did everything since with a reserve petcock. The key, for me, is a consistent gauge. It doesn't have to be perfect -- just consistent enough that over a couple of tanks I can figure out where, on that gauge, I really must stop.