Factory heated grips < $100

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi Folks.

I wouldn't imagine there would be a issue with aftermarket bar ends as you just have to make up the space difference between the physical end of the handlebars and the grip end. What ever bar end you use will dictate how many spacers you use. It's a 6mm bolt that you need to use.

Cheers

Nflyer

+1 on seeing this come alive.

Ohhh well guess I got another project come soon. :p CAUSE I AM BUYING THEM!

Any reason why I can't use the throttlemeisters that I just bought? :unsure:

Morning Aviator.

Not sure how the Throttlemeisters engage the throttle barrel so can't really comment. I 'do' know the Vista Cruise works like a hot damn and is an inexpensive solution.

Let us know if you get it worked out as I'm sure you're not the only one wondering.

NFlyer

Wow, that looks great. I have put off getting heated grips cause Yamaha wants way to much money for them and the wrap kind I am not interested in. Thank you so much for posting this. I will now be getting heated grips and enjoy riding in the cold again.

NovaFlyer - my Yamaha heated grips have stopped working, service tech tells me I need a new Controller. They want $205 for just the Controller. Any reason the controller on your &lt;$100 grips wouldn't work as a replacement on my Yamaha grips???

Any reason the controller on your &lt;$100 grips wouldn't work as a replacement on my Yamaha grips???

Hmmm ... Not really familiar with the Factory grips, but looking at the picture from the yamaha site gives me the impression the connectors might be different. This doesn't mean you couldn't splice in different connectors to make it works, but this is just an educated guess. The basic premise of the grips wiring would be the same IMO.

For the price that the tech is trying to gouge you for, you can buy a complete new kit. You can check if the controller fits then you're away to the races... If not, then you have a brand new set of heated grips to replace your older ones.

NFlyer

The &lt;$100 controller appears to be the same as the Yamaha kit controller. The only difference seems to be the base mounting plate which is just a matter of a couple of screws.

Yesterday I bought the entire $65 kit to replace only my dead throttle grip. I probably will be willing to sell the controller and left grip separately. In a major thrash I replaced my throttle grip tonight, seems to work, tomorrow at ~35 degrees on my way to work I will find out. I have one day to check it out and tie down all the loose ends and then I'm off on a 4-6 day wander-about of Maine with Good Pillion™.

Last edited by a moderator:
Novaflyer,

Are the grips larger in diameter than stock non-heated grips? Are they any softer than the stock grips?

I have an 04 and want to replace the grips but am looking for something a little larger in diameter and softer than stock. Thanks

Larry

I have the heated grip kit that Novaflyer has shown. My grip kit came from a Honda dealer where it's listed as a Goldwing part. Turns out that I paid $62, not $65, NH has no tax. I ordered the part at 3:00 pm on Monday afternoon and had the grips in hand 11:00 am Tuesday. Any dealer with a Service Parts catalog will either have the kit in stock or can they can order it.

The grips are hard, just slightly softer than the Yamaha heated grips and they are slightly bigger than the stock Yamaha grips and much bigger than the Yamaha heated grips. If you want soft grips you are going to have to go the Dual Star way.

The connectors are different than the Yamaha kit and the wires are loooooooong. Snip, solder, shrink sleeve, voila. The heat controller looks like it would mount directly to the Yamaha bracket that goes on the left side mirror post -- two screws.

Edited to add: This is on a '04, controller location on a '06 can be different.

NovaFlyer,

First, thanks for your write-up. Heated grips were at the top of my list and you've made it the best/most cost effective farkle possible. I'm almost glad the cold weather is here so I can put them to the test.

I have an electrical question. I've read Warchild's explanation and I understand the benefits of the relay, but if the stock wiring (the green switched wire) is only 18 gauge then doesn't that mean the designers thought that was adequate for grip heaters? The power leads to the BigBikes controller also seem to be only 16 or 18 gauge (downstream of the 12 ga. battery cable). For mine, I'm questioning the need for the relay if I'm only running the grips off of it.

The only other farkle I'm planning that draws much current is an SAE lead for a heated vest/battery tender. Obviously, it can't be switched for the BT and I think the odds of me leaving the vest plugged in while the bike is parked are minimal.

Anyone think I'm off my rocker (for this issue I mean, not in general)?

These grips should in the range of 35 Watts = 2.5 to 2.9 amps (depending on the supplied voltage; 12.0 to 14.0 volts). The grips are wired in series and total ~11 ohms. Certainly not too much for 18 ga. wire but 16 ga. wire would give you a lot more 'head room'.

The controller for these grips does not sense voltage like the Yamaha controller and it will allow you to have the grips ON when the key is on but without the engine running. You've been warned ;) Fortunately the controller has a Power ON indicator LED.

I had my first ride in to work this morning with these grips when the temp was falling into the lower 40 degree range. I'm not sure these grips are going to produce the heat I will need when it gets into the lower 20s. FWIW, the Yamaha grips were good into the mid teens.

I'm not sure these grips are going to produce the heat I will need when it gets into the lower 20s. FWIW, the Yamaha grips were good into the mid teens.

20's ?? :blink: .. Yikes man. You're more sporty than I. All joking aside, The heat is adaquate for my needs, though I have been considering adding the V-Strom hand guards as well. This combination will be the best of both worlds in my opinion; protection from the ram air cooling/winter wet with warmth for the ambient chills. You'd be able to get this combo for less then the factory grips ... at least where I am.

For myself, I've found the outer part of my hands still get a wee bit chilled from the ram air effect when I wear summer gloves hence the reason for looking at the hand guards.

Wondering about the series/parallal wiring of these things. If I remember my basic electrics, if you have a break in series then everything goes kaput? Parallal allows remaining systems to keep running? The reason I put this out there is I had the right throttle grip go dead on me ( Since replaced under warantee ) and the left hand unit kept on working. Would this be indicative of parallel wiring ?? If so, would that make for the difference in heat output from the factory units wired in series?

:umnik2: [SIZE=8pt]Hmmmm[/SIZE]

Morning Aviator.
Not sure how the Throttlemeisters engage the throttle barrel so can't really comment. I 'do' know the Vista Cruise works like a hot damn and is an inexpensive solution.

Let us know if you get it worked out as I'm sure you're not the only one wondering.

NFlyer
I have both factory heated grips and the Throttlemeister. no problems. :)

I have both factory heated grips and the Throttlemeister. no problems.
:lol: Have read this thread with great interest since the beginning. I too felt Yamaha was ripping us off charging those prices for the factory heated grips. In fact I'm sure the less expensive grips are identical to the factory grips. Yamaha buys those parts from another source & then gives them a Yamaha part number.

Since I also wanted heated grips (I ride all year long) & I wasn't happy with the Yamaha price or the way the Yamaha Control unit sticks out so high from the dash panel, I came up with a different approach. My friend John has an 04 Honda ST1300 with heated grips. Have ridden his bike in winter & those grips get HOT. After inspecting his bike's grips (he & I share a garage) I discovered the grips on his bike are identical to the Yamaha factory grips. The control unit is different, & I like it better. So I order the Honda part # 08T50-MCS-100 after searching on the web & found it for $160, & then installed it myself. Here are some pics:

HeatedGripThermostatTurnedOn.jpg

The Honda Thermostat Control Unit shown above in my opinion looks much better than the protruding Yamaha Controller, & I only had to dremmel out the removable square panel.

RightHandleBarControls.jpg

This photo above shows my set up of grip puppies over the heated grips (yes the grips still get very hot), with a vista cruise control & manic salamander end weights.

06FJRleftsideDashProfile.jpg

I think this profile with a flush mounted control unit is much cleaner than the Yamaha controller. The best part is it works! And I installed it myself.

Just thought I'd share another option for you boys & girls.

I'm not thrilled about $160 for the Honda controller but I think I may have to go that route. I was out today with the BigBikes grips and they just don't get very hot. It wasn't much below 50 up near the pass and I could hardly tell they were on. Down in the valley I could feel them but they weren't exactly inspiring.

Several years ago I put Kimpex heaters on the VFR (those adhesive, defroster-like films under stock grips - $35) and you couldn't keep them set on HI for very long without burning yourself.

BTW - I swiched the BigBike wiring from running right off that extra harness under the 'A' panel to Warchild's relay method - no change.

Any other ideas?

I too am thinking about investing in some heated grips. I am looking at these from hotgrips.com. Tried to just post the pic but it was huuuge.

Ergo grips

Anyone had any experience with these? Is there a thread on hooking up the relay etc on an 05? I'm not sure I have the skills for the electronics part of it. Which wire did you choose to hook up the relay on an 05?

Novaflyer,

It looks like the heating element is integrated into the grip itself. Is that correct? I've got an AE with heated grips but prefer the Tacki sport touring grips and was hoping that the heating element wasn't part of the grip itself but attached separately to the bar. If the heating element is integrated into the grip itself, I can't change grips and will have to go the grip puppies route. Thanks.

Has anyone NOT used a PDB with the Honda kit that Warmachine posted? My PDB is mounted under my pillion seat and I don't want to pull more wires. How is everyone doing the electrical? I'd really like to use the existing wiring for the Yamaha kit. (has anyone done this?) If anyone has used the existing wiring for the Yamaha kit can you explain. Pictures are always helpful.

Thanks in advance.

-Devin