Factory heated grips < $100

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So I order the Honda part # 08T50-MCS-100 after searching on the web & found it for $160, & then installed it myself.
Just wanted to double check, the Honda Heated Grips are the same length as the Yamaha grips right?

And what's the best/most effective way of removing the OEM grips, since these are glued on right? Do you wedge a small and thin screwdriver in to break loose the glue or do you use compressed air (if you have a compressor)?

Also the Honda grips don't sense voltage right, so you should have them connected to the switched power, on the GenII bikes you could use the cigarette lighter wiring to activate the relay - at least that's my plan.

So I order the Honda part # 08T50-MCS-100 after searching on the web & found it for $160, & then installed it myself.
Just wanted to double check, the Honda Heated Grips are the same length as the Yamaha grips right?

And what's the best/most effective way of removing the OEM grips, since these are glued on right? Do you wedge a small and thin screwdriver in to break loose the glue or do you use compressed air (if you have a compressor)?

Also the Honda grips don't sense voltage right, so you should have them connected to the switched power, on the GenII bikes you could use the cigarette lighter wiring to activate the relay - at least that's my plan.
The honda heated grips are the right length for the Yamaha. I took off the old throttle tube/grip and put on a g2 at the same time. I used WD40 and squirted it under the other grip to loosen and remove it. You connect the power to one of the spade connectors right under the panel. And ground it to somewhere on the frame. The blue connector does not provide the necessary ground. I would not connect it to the power for the cigarrette lighter. I doubt the wire gauge or fuse rating is sufficient for it.

The honda heated grips are the right length for the Yamaha. I took off the old throttle tube/grip and put on a g2 at the same time. I used WD40 and squirted it under the other grip to loosen and remove it. You connect the power to one of the spade connectors right under the panel. And ground it to somewhere on the frame. The blue connector does not provide the necessary ground. I would not connect it to the power for the cigarrette lighter. I doubt the wire gauge or fuse rating is sufficient for it.
Thanks for the advice, but what is the "g2".

Re the connection what i meant was to use it to drive the relay (for the grips) not the heated grips directly. But if i find the blue connector then that's even better.

Thanks for the advice, but what is the "g2".

Re the connection what i meant was to use it to drive the relay (for the grips) not the heated grips directly. But if i find the blue connector then that's even better.

g2 throttle tube Clicky changes the profile of the throttle cam to make the FJR more controllable in small throttle openings.

The blue connector on the 06/07 is already keyed so no relay is necessary...as i mentioned though the blue connector does not have the necessary ground. The Honda grips also have a low battery detection circuitry which prevents them from turning on in low power situations.

Hope this helps!

Last edited by a moderator:
+1bump

Thanks all for the information provided in this thread. I've ordered the Honda Heated Grips w/ LCD thermostat ($162.43 from Rick Roush Accessories) and the G2 throttle tube. Look forward to getting them on before the desert really starts getting cold (yes there are cold spots in SoCal) :D

Ron

Stumbled on this post trying to find EXACTLY that grip and controller setup. This was on my feejer when I got it but the controller just crapped out. That original link doesn't seem operational still, my search continues.

That Honda controller is pretty sweet btw.

Has anyone tried the KImpex heated grips with lo and hi switch. I installed that and like it alot. Only 25 dollars.

okay, walking into this late in the game... please tell me why they suck(are they the same as the OEM ones or not&gt;???). I do like the price but whether it's $65 or $160 I don't care if I am warm at the end of the ride..... or if I can feel my fingers during the ride.

The Honda grips look pretty cool(the controller) so I am leaning in that direction but...

I have these great "pro Grips" that are nice and have a 'gel' feel to them, I would hate to have to get a super hard grip so I was thinking about the heated grips that you put under the "gel" ones that I have.... any thoughts? Should I just suck it up and stick to the all in one solution that I see in this thread?

The YAMA factory grips have a huge controller, I am sure I can make it work but does it really need to be that big?

Thanks, call me cold hands.....

okay, walking into this late in the game... please tell me why they suck(are they the same as the OEM ones or not&gt;???). I do like the price but whether it's $65 or $160 I don't care if I am warm at the end of the ride..... or if I can feel my fingers during the ride.
The Honda grips look pretty cool(the controller) so I am leaning in that direction but...
The Big Bike heated grip kit looks compellingly like the Yamaha kit but for sure they are different. The Big Bike's controller utilizes a different power control circuit that crudely pulses power to the grips instead of the smooth power control of the Yamaha kit. Most importantly, the Big Bike grips only draw half the power of the other kits resulting in tepid rather than hot grips. There is no way to make the Big Bike grips accept more power, it is regulated by the resistance of the grips which can't be changed. Also, the Big Bike grips are longer than the stock grips, so it is necessary to use washers to space out the bar ends and the grips are HARD. Note that the Big Bike grip kit is sold under several brand names, different name, same shit. I purchased 'Goldwing Heated Grips' from the standard Service Parts catalog that all dealers use but they were in fact renamed Big Bike parts.

Honda grip kit good. Yamaha grip kit good.

You can get grip heater elements that wrap around the bars then put the grips of your choice over the heat elements. Use Heat Troller power controller for infinite heat control or a toggle switch for Hi/Lo heat control. Dual Star and Symtec are a couple of common sources for heater elements.

Looking at where you live I would venture that your grip heat requirement are probably different than mine (NH) ;)

An FYIBig bike parts grips suck.
Gunny on what The Fencer said. Has anybody switched from the Big Bike grips to the Honda Grips? I'm just wondering if the hole that I cut in the small accessory panel would now be to big. Too small a hole I could live with (I'm probably going to be sorry I said that).

Has anyone tried the Kimpex heated grips with lo and hi switch. I installed that and like it alot. Only 25 dollars.
I ordered a set last week.

How did you stabilize the wires so they don't fail prematurely?
I'm running the dual-star heating elements under some gel pro grips. With the heat-troller its easy to dial in just the right amount of heat, you can install whatever grips you prefer, and its a cheap setup!

Here's Dean Woodward's excellent install instructions.

https://www.fjr1300.info/mods/heatedgrips.html

STRYG8R-

I take it they are plenty hot? how hard would your rate the install?(Hard, easy) looks pretty interesting with trying to figure out which wire to use? I looked at some of the install pages and I can follow directions - I guess

stupid queston, in most of the pictures I have seen I see TWO heat-troller's are they for each side or is it for a vest or something like that?

Is there a LED or something on the heat-troller?

I guess I like the idea of the Honda grips, look simple but I am afraid of a hard grip, I do like my Gel Grips......

Why are so many Farkles so damn hard?

The Heat-Troller comes with a (small) red LED.

The grip Troller is a one knob deal. In the FJR Info How-To, the second knob is for clothing.

Warm 'n Safe (Heat Troller site) offers a Mylar heat tape + grip Heat Troller kit. At the top of the page are the links to install instructions for the various kits.

Latest posts