Factory heated grips < $100

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NovaFlyer

Reaction score
**update OCT/06**

This installation works well for most folks that ride in temperatures above 10C / 50 F. If you are a more hardened rider that tends to find themselves in cooler conditions, then you may be better served by some of the more expensive units as those tend to put out more heat than this inexpensive set up.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Evening Folks.

Thought I'd pass on some farkle info and give back to the forum.

Like many riders living in more chilly climates, I knew I would want heated grips for my new Feejr so I could extend my riding season. I read all the info here and on other sites regarding the bar wrap style units and heat troller, but was not impressed with the non factory look of the final product. Looking at the Yamaha product caused me to go into heart palpitations from the sticker shock , so what was I to do?

Browsing around the internet , I came across these little beauties: supplier site

1763.jpg

What struck me was how similar they looked to the factory units:

5jw-w0792-00-500.jpg

I figured the two units were made by the same manufacturer and went ahead a picked up the 7/8ths" and 1" x 5 3/4 grips from my local dealer. The kit is a complete unit that is plug and go after you connect it up to the battery. The connectors are all marked and pretty much fool proof.

Now for myself, I wanted to have these work off a switched power source so as not to drain the battery if I inadvertently forget to switch them off. I also wanted a good mounting point in the fairing that didn't require me cutting things up. Well Moma Yama has done the major work for us already with the AE model having factory grips already installed. The left back fairing panel on the A models has a blocking plate filling in where the AE models have their controller installed. If you remove it, you have a perfect hole for your controller

HeatedgripsFJR006.jpg

The controller fits perfectly into the hole, much like how the factory unit would ...Hmmmmm.

HeatedgripsFJR008.jpg

Now I just used the blocking plate and Dremmeled off the raised portion:

HeatedgripsFJR007.jpg

and secured it back into the fairing piece and voila ... it fits perfectly and secures the controller:

HeatedgripsFJR003.jpg

Now where to find a switched power source to connect to the relay :search: - discussed here:Relay explanation by Warchild

Well I figured that there had to be a powered source under the fairing panel and sure enough ... there was one. It's on a blue socket under the removed panel that I can only assume is to be used with factory grips because the connector is 'very' similar, but not exact. The green wire from this socket is a switched power source that comes on after engine start.

HeatedgripsFJR005.jpg

I installed the relay and the included fuse block right to the frame under the panel. I also used this point as the ground:

HeatedgripsFJR010.jpg

The grips , if you get the 5 3/4 units for the Goldwing, are longer than that stocker units and will require longer 6mm bolts to re-attach the bar end weights. I picked up ones that were 1/2 inch longer and they worked fine. You also will require a bunch of shim washers to make up the space. I grabbed my wife's hairspray to glue them on, then cut and spliced the wires to fit and she was all done. I even threw on the ol' Vista Cruise as per Warchild's instructions (Vista cruise - Warchild)

HeatedgripsFJR015.jpg

HeatedgripsFJR016.jpg

I'm very pleased with this farkle since basically you get factory equivalent heated grips for a fraction of the price. The look is OEM and the grips heat up in seconds instead of minutes.

I realize some folks like the bar wrap style as you can pick your grips. The benefit with this kit is the grips are wider than stock so your body weight is not as concentrated to a small point. I found my hands didn't get as sore after a long ride ...Food for thought.

Anyways ... I hope some of you find this helpful.

Last edited by a moderator:
It looks suspiciously like this doesn't it?? This is a picture of an AE that PerfectBlueRide posted on a thread regarding heat management. I ordered the factory heated grips when I ordered my '06 and the dealer banged me for $250.00 for the grips and 2 hours labor for the install. It turns out that it was AFTER they installed grips for an '05 that they realized the wiring harnesses don't fit so now I'm riding around with non working heated grips until the '06 grips are released. Very nice install NovaFlyer and excellent photo's to boot.....We are headed to Nova Scotia at the end of June, is that where you are?

airManagement_02.jpg

Thanx for the kudo's Axeman.

"We are headed to Nova Scotia at the end of June, is that where you are?"

- Axeman.

Yupers !! Let me know when you are up this way and I'll give you a bunch of roads that are the 'must do' catagory , along with some neat sights to see. You have the motorcycling tour guide book yet? Nova Scotia Motorcycle tour guide link

This is also a good site to check out things and events that are going on around the province:

Nova Scotia bikers event page

Send me a note when you're comin' and maybe we can hook up. My wife and I like meeting fellow riders and we don't mind playing tour guide at all..

--Nflyer

ps ... If you want to get some FJR goodies that are only available in Canada & Europe, let me know and I can give you my dealer's number. I/We can install them for you here in Halifax if you want. Things like the color matched foot guards, TOG's etc....

pics of mine:

4d002c5c.jpg

6fffac06.jpg

Kudos!, NovaFlyer !!

I, too, went into filibration when I heard what these would cost me to have the dealier install - and I really didn't want to hack in an aftermarket set.

And it would seem that there's a supplier not 8 miles from my house !!!

YaaHoo !! Wonky's gonna have warm grips !!

Glad this works for you Kaitsdad.

I've taken a couple of pics to show what I was talking about regarding the grips needing spacers:

This shows the extra space the longer grips generate that has to be filled up to secure the bar end weights:

HeatedgripsFJR020.jpg

1/2 inch longer 6mm bolts with washers do the job nicely:

HeatedgripsFJR019.jpg

I also wasn't kidding about the hairspray thing. Works like a hot damn ..and it's unscented because I have a manly Feejr :D

HeatedgripsFJR021.jpg

If there are any questions, fire away and I'll try to answer them for you all.

--NFlyer

Good post. I saw these and was waiting to see if I put bar risers or Horizon Bars from Heli on (when they are

available) before I bought them. They are also available from Parts Unlimited, JC Whitney and a few others. Also, are the knuckle guards available in Canada? I saw these on the Europe site and they looked interesting. Also could you post your dealer's #, the foot guards look great.

Nice job flyboy!! Now we can go and do the IRON BUTT!! Hopefully the weather cooperates!! Oh yeah, this is Paul, your farlking assistant.

How much post whoring do I have to do to loose the FNG rating??

How much post whoring do I have to do to loose the FNG rating??
Behave badly and earn the wrath of the admins and you may never loose the FNG but you could pick up an avatar that really sucks. Ask Scab how that all works :lol: :lol: :lol:

Also could you post your dealer's #, the foot guards look great. - pf flyer

I'll check in with the parts manager and see if he's willing to look at shipping stuff to the States. If he's cool with doing this, then I'll post the info for everyone.

NFlyer

NovaFlyer,

I picked up my set of grips today - Thanks for posting this.

Wonky's gettin naked over Memorial weekend - and this is one of the farkles she's puttin' on. :D

Hello, I have obtained the same heated grips as you. In your installation posting you mention there is a plug already existing on your 06 under the cowling to plug into. Do you know if this exists in the 05 model?

Man, I am SO glad this thread has resurfaced! I've been trying to figure out what to do for heated grips, being from Michigan and all, and I think this will do it.

Under $100 for 'factory' grips? Love it!

I purchased a set of these, my dealer has just installed them, quality looks good but will get a true test this weekend, he fitted the switch inside the glove box to my 05, I figured the glove box was too small for much else anyway, but there is still space for a cellphone. The only modification was to add a 1 cm long spacer between the ends of the bars and bar end fittings because the heated grips are slightly longer than the factory grips.

Wondering if there would be any issue with the extra length and using aftermarket bar end weights instead of the stock bar ends?