Fall Foliage ride, New England and New Brunswick.

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Norumbega

Reaction score
A BMW riding friend and I will leave Northwest Connecticut on Sunday, October 2 for Bar Harbor, Maine (home!). We will tour Acadia National Park and the surrounding areas for a few days and then follow the coast "Down East" to New Brunswick, Canada and Campobello Island.

On our return we will follow the coast back down to the Thomaston/Rockland, Me. area before going overland, northwest through Maine's western mountains and lakes, across New Hampshire's Kankamagus Highway through the White Mountains into Vermont and its Green Mountains then southward through Massachussett's Berkshire Mountains into Connecticut's Litchfield Hills and home.

It's hard to predict exactly when the leaves will be at their peak in any one place but we are certain to see some spectacular color as we traverse various regions, elevations and distances from the coast from south to north and back.

I'm well familiar with all these areas but am looking forward to introducing them to my friend and re-experiencing them through his eyes.

I am making regular offerings to the weather gods in preparation!

I hope to be riding up through Vermont, New Hampshire & Maine the week of 10/12-10/14. I would like to find a short covered bridge trail in that area if anyone can recommend? I have never ridden this area before and I am completely at a loss for nice scenic riding roads. I did buy the new Butler Map for New England. It's not much help with covered bridges and fall foliage. Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

@donaldb - For Covered Bridges, I'm your man.

The best ones in New Hampshire are near each other, all down in the southwestern corner of the state near the town of Swanzey, and all of them pass over the Aschuelot River.

If you will PM me with an email address I will gladly send you a GPS file (in gdb or gpx format) of the Covered bridges of NH ride route. It hits those 6 bridges and another 6 in a short day loop that starts out from Hancock, NH and loops around and back up to Henniker in less than 180 miles.