Family time with weapons

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ordered an M&P Shield 2.0 as a carry option today. I liked the Walther PPS but the Shield felt good and nothing but raves from owners. Tried unsuccessfully to find a Sig P365 but therere quite scarce and they appear to have some issues to be worked out.

Question.

I have a Model 700 (4 round "blind magazine" (dropping floor plate). I have found at least a dozen kits to convert to box magazines (.308).

Does anyone have (or know some who has had and has talked about it) experience with any specific brand?

There's a Magpul kit but I suspect it'll be "plastic". There's an HS Precision kit that's metal on the other ends of things at around $250 - $400. On the other end is a Legacy Sports in polymer for $50 with magazines about $45 each compared to the HS Precision's running $100 (10 rounds).

The HS Precision is the way to go, but its expensive. No clue about the other options. I had a work rifle with the HSPrecision magazine. It was flawless. My personal 700 tactical has the standard OEM top-loader magazine. Just haven't wanted to spend that money to buy the HS and then have it installed.

To solve this, I'm thinking of selling the rifle and scope and buying a Ruger Precision Rifle. I'll have to wait a bit for the glass, but I'll probably go with a Vortex.

The Savage 10BA Stealth is also a contender. I can pull either for under $1k.

Last edited by a moderator:
I was able to find a Sig P365 to compare. It is quite the trick to get 10 rounds in a gun smaller than the 8 round Shield, and even 12 round clips. But it was too small for my mitts except with the largest clips, so sticking with the shield.

Question for those who carry and ride. Do you worry about using an IWB holster if you have a getoff? Thinking about a chest holster for riding backcountry on dual sports.

The HS Precision is the way to go, but its expensive. No clue about the other options. I had a work rifle with the HSPrecision magazine. It was flawless. My personal 700 tactical has the standard OEM top-loader magazine. Just haven't wanted to spend that money to buy the HS and then have it installed.
To solve this, I'm thinking of selling the rifle and scope and buying a Ruger Precision Rifle. I'll have to wait a bit for the glass, but I'll probably go with a Vortex.

The Savage 10BA Stealth is also a contender. I can pull either for under $1k.
Thanks. I spent some hours researching options since posting this.

I went with a CDI bottom metal and they include installation. The stock went off to them (which apparently is an HS Precision stock from the factory). The main difference is that the CDI supports the AICS mags. These are double-stack, single-feed (2 into 1) so don't act like a mono-pod by making a 10 round mag shorter. AICS styles include the Ruger Precision mags. Brownells has a sale @ $30 per where the HS Precision are (from what I was told) proprietary (but I would think more likely M1A like) and something around $100 per 10 round mag.

Hudson posted, in part: Question for those who carry and ride. Do you worry about using an IWB holster if you have a getoff? Thinking about a chest holster for riding backcountry on dual sports.
Of course I don't carry and ride (insert other disclaimers here) but a buddy I know uses a pocket holster in his tank bag. In case of a get-off, he doesn't want anything on his body except armor. Too much risk in getting something caught by rocks, roots, tree branches, vehicle parts, and Lord knows what else.

In case of accidental discharge, chest holsters vs IWB would just move the wound location. <---- I am not a doctor (insert other disclaimers here).

I was able to find a Sig P365 to compare. It is quite the trick to get 10 rounds in a gun smaller than the 8 round Shield, and even 12 round clips. But it was too small for my mitts except with the largest clips, so sticking with the shield.
Question for those who carry and ride. Do you worry about using an IWB holster if you have a getoff? Thinking about a chest holster for riding backcountry on dual sports.
Give up on the pocket knife? All my textile riding jackets have an inside, chest high on the left side, zippered pocket where one could possibly place a ruger LC9S in a skinny pocket holster. These are JOE ROCKET, and FIRST GEAR jackets.

I was able to find a Sig P365 to compare. It is quite the trick to get 10 rounds in a gun smaller than the 8 round Shield, and even 12 round clips. But it was too small for my mitts except with the largest clips, so sticking with the shield.Question for those who carry and ride. Do you worry about using an IWB holster if you have a getoff? Thinking about a chest holster for riding backcountry on dual sports.
Give up on the pocket knife? All my textile riding jackets have an inside, chest high on the left side, zippered pocket where one could possibly place a ruger LC9S in a skinny pocket holster. These are JOE ROCKET, and FIRST GEAR jackets.
^This. All my riding jackets have the inside chest pocket that holds my little LCP nicely. A few have front side pockets that are large enough, I sometimes use them, if I want my phone in the innner pocket. I'm not concerned about the guns placement in the jacket, as the gun can't fire on impact, and it basically is like wearing armor there. If something is going to hit my chest hard enough to puncture my rib cage, I think the pistol would be of more help than if nothing was there.

I do not normally carry it but for in the boonies I have a sig p239 in .357sig caliber, supposedly the equal of a 125grain magnum load in a wheel gun. Sighted it in and that has been all, do not want to beat on the weapon. Both my daughters received P239s in 9mm and have qualified outstandingly (includes tap rack and reloading as well as counting rounds) I do all my handgun practice at 25yds, anything closer in becomes a duck shot. I do not know if this model is still made as I have not seen any lately at the gun shops but it is a sweetie (IMO).

^This. All my riding jackets have the inside chest pocket that holds my little LCP nicely. A few have front side pockets that are large enough, I sometimes use them, if I want my phone in the innner pocket. I'm not concerned about the guns placement in the jacket, as the gun can't fire on impact, and it basically is like wearing armor there. If something is going to hit my chest hard enough to puncture my rib cage, I think the pistol would be of more help than if nothing was there.
My Kahr CM9 fits very nicely in the left outer chest pocket on my Darien jacket. I do have a concern about breaking ribs with the gun being smashed inward in a get-off, but I suppose the ribs could break even without a gun there. My philosophy is that I'll take my chances of injury because I'm not willing to go unarmed.

The Shield 2.0 9mm showed up and its a nice piece of kit. Tritium nights are the bomb and the fit is excellent. Glad I chose it but wouldve been happy with the Walther PPS M2 too. Feels great in the hand and 20 oz unloaded makes for a light and compact carry.

Only nit so far is the textured grip surface can be rough on the skin but nothing some 400 grit sand paper wont fix. Trigger and reset are nice and it looks slim next to my SA XDM mod.2.

ZnTH06d.jpg

mOYj97Z.jpg

B1phQye.jpg

Remember, with time, those sharp edges will wear down on their own. A couple of my guns had some pretty sharp checkering when they were new. With time and use, that has either been relieved some, or I'm just used to them. Either way, I wouldn't take stand paper to my grips texture. Shooting with sweaty or bloody hands may make that pistol hard to hold on to.

A little light rub on the left side of the shield with some sandpaper takes the meanness out of the texture against your skin. Doesn't take much and you just do the side that rubs against your hide. It doesn't affect the texture much and not at all where your hand holds the gun. Those are brilliant little gats. I rock the .45 version and I am totally impressed with the design. Other than the skinny grip being a bit wonky, the gun shoots way, way, better than I expected. Nice carry piece.