Fast idle on gen 1

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

angus

Angus
Reaction score
My 2003 FJR has started idling fast about 1200 rpms it just started it happened when I did my first cold ride of the year.

1200 rpm at idle is not so high!The idle in my bike is about there..Why you not turn the idle screw to lower it a bit..?

Last edited by a moderator:
I call bull 1200 is to high I don't care how fast yours is 1200 is to high. I have owned 3 FJRS and none idled that fast.

I call bull 1200 is to high I don't care how fast yours is 1200 is to high. I have owned 3 FJRS and none idled that fast.
If the 1200 rpm is high for you,why you don't adjust the idle screw to 1000-1100..?!

fight-club.jpg

If it's running fast when warmed up, it may be a sticky throttle. Does it snap shut properly, or might it be holding the throttle open a bit?

What was your RPM before "fast" idle?

Could be dirty throttle bodies not letting the butterflies close all the way. If it only moved up about 50-100 RPM I wouldbn't sweat it, just keep an eye on it.

I bumped my idel up to 1100RPM a few weeks back and now in the SoCal cold it's about 1200, I'm not concerned it's close enough.

mine revs pretty hard for about a minute then drops to a normal figure. (its around 0c at 5.30am here)

Bit awkward as you have to put it in gear and pull away then fan the clutch to keep speed down.

Would rather have a manual lever for this like a BMW !

Most likely need more information before we can suggest what may be the problem.

Remember that there are 2 idle circuits on the bike, controlled by 2 different means.

Cold / fast idle controlled by the air bypass valves / plunger control via the wax solenoid.

Warm / normal idle controlled by the normal adjustment knob.

Mine has a "fast" idle of about 2100, this lasts for a few minutes or a few blocks. It "idles" at 30 MPH during this time if I shift for it. As it warms up it gradually slows to 1100. I set this myself, using the idle adjust screw, located on the right side up near , almost under, the upper frame stay. look at your owners manual to adjust. It is not hard. I had it idling at about 950 but my lack of co-ordination let it die on several occasions so I cranked it up a bit.