Fast Ride, Slow Ride, Fast Ride, Slow Ride,

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jagermeister

Reaction score
Today was a very good day. I had a meeting in Pineville KY. It was 83 & sunny, so I just couldn't cage it. :D

Pineville is named for the 125 mile long Pine Mountain, which runs from Jellico TN , to Elkhorn City, VA, along the SE border of KY. The raven FJR saw quite a bit of Pine Mountain today; from both the top & bottom.

My loop: Map Clicky

From Pineville, I hustled up 119 & 421 to the top of Pine Mountain, at point "B." This is the same road we scorched in April: E. KY Ride AWESOME.

At the top of Pine Mountain ("B" on the map), I noticed a roadsign for "Little Shepherd Trail," which we hadn't tried before (probably because we previously sailed past it, as the FJRs became airborne at the top :lol: ). The force was with me, so I took a right. What I found was incredible.

"Little Shepherd" is a 70-mile, 1-lane road on top of Pine Mountain. It's amazing, because nobody lives up there, and very few seem to know it exists. It sees so little traffic, that moss is growing on the road, in some areas!

It was stunning, especially because it's so rugged and undeveloped. This was the Slow ride.

Being a single lane road perched on a mountain, it was tough finding a photo-op. These were taken between B and C, looking south towards VA:

DSC00382.jpg

DSC00391.jpg

DSC00389.jpg

DSC00392.jpg

After 20 miles of scenic twisties, I descended the mountain, and got my groove back, hustling up 119 (from "C" to "D"), which ends with a 3000 ft ascent to the top of Pine Mountain - one long switchback after another. Pegs a scrapin' :yahoo:

At the top, I stopped for more photos:

DSC00395.jpg

DSC00397.jpg

DSC00394.jpg

DSC00402.jpg

I noticed a roadsign for 'Little Shepherd Trail' next to the pull-off . "Surely that's not the same road," I thought. Checked the GPS, and it is! Simply the other end of that same 70-mile mountaintop 1-lane. So, having expelled my extreme lean demons, I went for another slow, scenic ride. Quite the opposite of the fast paced adreneline run below, this was a beautiful, peaceful ride. No cars, no hurry, but just enough curves to keep me awake.

DSC00413.jpg

DSC00417.jpg

DSC00423.jpg

DSC00424.jpg

Definately want to do that again!

Last edited by a moderator:
You sir, are rude.

Posting pics like that without inviting your favoritest, bestest FJR riding buddies. *cries*

:rolleyes:

By the way - awesome pics.

You sir, are rude.

Posting pics like that without inviting your favoritest, bestest FJR riding buddies. *cries*
Well, I can't stand seeing a grown man cry. Let's do a day-long group ride out there soon.

The total mileage round trip from Louisville was 730, including a couple of diversions. The cool thing is how much the scenery, and ride style, changes from road to road. Sweeper, twisty, altitude change, fast, slow. It was one of the most fulfilling rides I've had.