Fatter Grips??

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

camdenlake

Reaction score
I am looking for some fatter grips and wonder what you folks suggest for the FJR? I find they feel small and cause my hands to cramp up. I don't have the problem on my other bikes. They have bigger ones already. Would heated grips do it? Whats a good set that does not require to much hacking of the wiring :) .

Thanks again.

Josh

I'm a big fan of Sunline Grand Touring Grips. Normally buy them from CASportTouring, but it appears that grip may no longer be in production!

Last edited by a moderator:
Grip heaters don't add much to the overall thickness, and are usually a separate item from the grip itself. Many of the riders here have gone with the BMW sport grips, which are larger overall, and tapered from largest at the outside of the grip, and narrower near the inside of the grip.

See about half way down Bounce's grip page.

I've been using the Sunline GT "Tacki" grips for many years and wanted a pair for my new 09'. After trying 4 different places on the internet, I finally found a pair from a shop in Minn. Seems that Sunline has in fact discontinued the grips. If you can find a pair snatch them up. Sounds like just what you're lookin' for.

Hot Grips did the trick for me. :)

IMGP1491.jpg

I've had Grip Puppies since new and love them. They are cheap, easy to install, absorb vibration, work well with grip warmers and the chicks really dig them.

Well ok, 4 out of 5 ain't bad.

I've had Grip Puppies since new and love them. They are cheap, easy to install, absorb vibration, work well with grip warmers and the chicks really dig them.
Well ok, 4 out of 5 ain't bad.
Same here and if the chicks dig them, their supposed to go on your handlebars!

When I first started, I used the grip puppies, were a great fit, absorbed vibrations. Just what my hands needed to feel comfortable over stock grips.

This winter, planning for LD ride, decided to go with the heated grips from trackside...(kinda last minute)..they had two good benefits.

The install was easy-had all harnesses with package..did have to use tape on right side, one layer to make them fit.

Was planning on sliding the grip puppies on top, but when I took a test ride with the heated grips, the fit was great. Now, I did notice that I was getting a bit more vibration

back into the hands, not a lot, but noticeably a little....The fit was so good, I just decided to go with it.

Few weeks later, I tried putting the grip puppies on there, and it was just too thick, and took away the control feel. So I took them off.

So there is a trade-off once you get use to the grip puppies and then get the heated grips later. Perhaps there is another solution; I haven't tried to find one though.

Ok will try to find some grip puppies. My local bike shop (just an all around shop with a great reputation) recommended the Hot Grips aswell. Said they have the best wire. Said i would probably want a nicer switch to go on the FJR. Problem is so far i have 6 eyes when i ask for Grip Puppies :) .

Josh

If you go with the HotGrips make sure you go with the ones with the internal ribs. It's the ribs that make them slightly oversized and also reduces heat transfer to the bars.

I've had the grip puppies for a while now and like them. They do, however, soak up water as well as vibrations. It's the only drawback I've found.

My FJR came with Kuryakin grips which are like grip puppies. Straight grips don't fit my hand right and reduced control feel, so I replaced them with the ones like the BMW tapered grips, but are tapered on both ends and bulge in the middle.

How about some Dual Star heated grips with the Heat Troller control and factory grips with Grip Puppies over them?

Pretty cheap set up and works great.

IMGP0002.jpg

IMGP0032.jpg

IMGP0028.jpg

IMGP0030-1.jpg