Fatter Grips

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
BTW I have Grip Puppies over heated grips. They slip over the grip just fine, and I still get heat, but not nearly as much as without the grip covers. This is just fine into the high 30's... don't know about temps lower than that. I believe the Grip Buddies would be fine with heated grips also.

Hey Guys, Still new here. I searched on the subject but was unable to locate anything on fatter grips. I have long fingered and they stock grips are too small for me,
Does anyone knows where I find aftermarket grips? I don’t know if you can remove the stock one’s and still have the heat feature. Is the heat element in the rubber or beneath them.
Thank
I like these.
https://www.originalbeemerbuddies.com/
I've had these on my FJR for 5, 6 years now. Don't let the 'beemer' put you off. They make a thick and thin version.

Flat G P? What are you talking about? Did you park your FJR on top of them for a couple of years while waiting for your next ride? Flat across?

Can you install them without destroying the heated grip?
Yes. I have used them extensively with heated grips.

BUT

I rarely, if ever, have the heated grips on maximum.

On my 2019 FJR, you can adjust the temperature for each of the 3 settings which I have done. On setting Low and Middle, I've upped the temperature by 1 unit each and for setting High I've downed the temperature by 1 unit (i.e. to 9).

Another option is ReGrip. These fit over your existing grip, do not retain water and work fine with heated grips. I have used them on a few bikes. You need the yellow/Medium size. You just slide them over the grips, then pull the inner strip out until you have coverage, then trim with a razor knife. They are much longer than needed. I first used these for wheelbarrow handles, liked them and tried them on motorcycles. Inexpensive if you hate them too.
FWIW, I've also had Grip Puppies and Grip Buddies in the past and liked them too, the ReGrip is just a solid generic solution instead of a higher priced moto specific solution. You can sometimes find this local at places like ACE hardware and Home Depot/Lowes too.

RE-GRIP MEDIUM – $11.99
Max Diameter 1.5 in (38 mm), Min Diameter 0.79 in (20 mm), Clearance 1.6 in (41 mm)

You've got options. I'm sure you'll get plenty of recommendations but for simple starters take a look at Grip-Puppies. Easy in that they just slip over the OEM grips and you should still enjoy some of the heat from them. (Real important in Florida?) These might make the grips big enough for larger hands and avoids the removal of the originals.
Agreed. I would definitely try the Grip Puppies (about $20) before going to different grips. They do mute the heat a bit but I still got enough to keep my hands warm.

Flat G P? What are you talking about? Did you park your FJR on top of them for a couple of years while waiting for your next ride? Flat across?
Funny...while I wait for my next ride 🤣🤣🤣. GP are not contoured, just flat straight across.
Flat across meaning they don't have a shape to match you hand, like the OEM rubbers ones.

I wouldn't try question marks to get fatter grips. While they're rounded, the little point on the bottom part tends to dig into your hand and the little dot breaks off and lost easily. Also most punctuation doesn't stand up to UV or cold very well.

Have you thought about Grip Puppies instead....since nobody has, apparently, mentioned them yet? ;)

I put new grip puppies on to replace the old ones before my 1900 mile ride to EOM last September. I was surprised that they were larger than the old ones. I wear a size 11 glove so I only inflate them to 14 psi instead of 30. Fit great!
Oh, and they transfer the heat from the grips great too!

For many years and many bikes I had been using grips that are a little larger in the middle and tapered down toward each end. Wasn't a problem for all my previous bikes that I put aftermarket grips on. But my '14 FJR has excellent factory heated grips that I don't want to mess with.
So I tried an experiment. One day I wrapped the grips with grip tape for tennis rackets. The slightly padded type. I started in the middle and went back and forth a few times adjusting the amount of overlap so it got fatter in the middle. I had to adjust the overlaps a couple times to achieve the right shape, but when I was done I had what I wanted. That experiment is now on year 6 and still working great. The tape does delay the heat somewhat, but only the time to heat. As far as I can tell they get to the same temperature and hold it fine, just that is takes a couple minutes longer to feel it.

Do they still make BMW "sport" grips?
Bounce, I had the sport grips on my Concours for several years — I liked the convex shape of them. I just found that the vibration was too much for me.
Changed them out for a set of Pro-Grip gel grips in the middle of the Butt Lite rally in Y2K and have never used anything else since.