Fault Code 14 Gen II - Solved

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The reason I was thinking assembly lube was that this was a "blob", not a thin coating AND there was virtually nothing in the four tubes coming from the vacuum ports - all was in the one piece of tubing between the sensor and the first plastic union. In addition, the orifice in the vacuum port is small - much smaller than the tubing diameter. Accumulation from vapor phase fuel would be more prevalent where the diameter was narrow; especially since any gas flow would be too slow to blast the orifice clear. I doubt that backstreaming was the root cause.

Finally tore mine apart after work to check this and found

Nothing! All hoses were completely clear and clean. Blew out the plastic unions and found no obstructions there either. Cleared codes and will just have to see what happens.

Quick and easy thing to check. Without the fault code 14, I wouldn't have expected to see an issue with plugged lines but I have no idea how bad it has to be before the code shows up (in terms of performance degradation). Is your bike back to normal operation?

Started it up and left it run for a little but didn't ride it. Will know better tomorrow when I ride to work. It's been running okay past few days. CEL light flickered on Friday afternoon when I left work but went out. No light over weekend or so far this week.

Pressure sensor or MAP sensor. Manifold Absolute Pressure . This sensor plays the biggest role in fuel mixture control. Measures intake vacuum.

That piece of gunk could cause a big problem, OK one time blocking sensor the next.

Most likely oil residue from throttle body. Hose looks cracked on end could be coming apart from inside you might want to replace it.

Last edited by a moderator:
This issue has been reported a couple of other times. The contamination I removed was within an inch (or less) of the end closest to the sensor itself. The rest of the tubing was clean and without anything in the way of oily residue; either that tube or any further upstream toward where they attach next to the TBS ports. I am convinced that the material was some sort a lube used for assembly. I don't know what you are seeing in the photo I posted but the tubing was supple with no cracks or signs of degradation. Held up to daylight, the bore was smooth once the goo had been removed.

Last edited by a moderator:
I removed all lines from the throttle bodies to the sensor, ran a small wire threw each piece. I found exactly what was pictured in RossKean's post, a small glob of gew. Once cleaned out the bike ran flawless, and I have had ample opportunity to test in the cold weather of NH. Thanks for all the info.

Some sensor modules have a protective gel poured over the sensor

element to protect it from water vapor and other contaminents.

This gel should stay in the sensor body, naturally.

Perhaps the gel in these bikes has been compromised by their environment, over time.

As a comparison, gel failure leading to sensor failure is common on EGR pressure sensors,due to the nasty environment of exhaust gas.

Interesting... I just did a very small amount of searching on the subject and I found various manufacturers of MAP sensors use a statement such as:

"Insulated with silicone gel over the integrated circuit chip to protect against shock and vibration for increased durability"

Perhaps with enough heat cycles, it can soften and flow enough to agglomerate in the rubber hose. I wish I had kept the material for some analysis (infrared spectroscopy would identify a silicone grease or gel). Could be that this is evidence of some deterioration of the sensor. I will keep an eye on it for further collection and possible eventual failure of the sensor!

Thanks for the info SunRider.

Quick followup - Between yesterday and today, I have done around 100 miles without a stumble or check engine light. It's an easy thing to disassemble and clean when you are under the tank. Based upon where it appeared and the fact that all of the lines from the ports were clean, I would suggest that the goo was there from the time the bike was manufactured (assembly grease??). Clean it once and you're done with it.

(I am assuming that this stuff did not originate inside the pressure sensor - can't imagine why it would be there on purpose)
Thank you for your work done here I owning a 05fjr 1300 for the last 4 years when I bought it was running like charm no issues whatsoever but last year was making a weird noise like clanking like something cutting the gas or like was out of timing, you described better anyway, suddenly on December was no go no more all started with the headlights didn't when on after we stop for a coffee so I drove home with the emergency lights on and cruising on the street, finally in home I took a part the assembly switch of the lights I cleaned and electrical greasy and nothing so I followed the cables and twisted for breakages and find out the connections was kinda dirty and some kinda dry out grease so I cleaned with electrical connector and dry out and applied new. After this wor the bike was cranking but wasn't star so I kinda use the logic here the battery its fully charged it has half of the tank gas and the I just pulled out the hose of intake air hose connected to the fuel pressure regulator and voila it started but too rich on gas and now I got a check engine light on and I been asking here and there to some sites of fjr of this situation and I just find out just clowns making fun some asking about my issues I explained sending some pictures and voltage about the pressure sensor and is been weeks and no answers, I didn't give up searching and I just find out your post here and it's all around about the same issue that I have so first God tomorrow I will clean all the hoses connecting to the sensor and the Throttle body..
I just want to say thank 🙏 you for you post here probably you have helped many people like me and didn't took the time just to say thank you..
even if doesn't fix mine thank you 🙏 because this is hope for me and I want to try many ways before taking ro a motorcycle shop..
More that I know how to fix it less that I get stranded on the road I possibly I can help some else..

Just starting to try to figure this out. I have had an intermittent issue with CEL coming on and showing a 14 fault code when the ignition key is cycled. Sometimes the bike is still running OK and other times I can only keep it going by holding the throttle open quite a bit and it runs horribly rich and dies instantly if I let off the throttle (especially when engine is cold). It is bad enough that I am afraid of getting stranded somewhere.

Note: Battery is fully charged and there are no symptoms that would relate to grounding issues. Also, I have not done anything under the tank in at least a month so it is not related to anything that has been done recently.

Fault code 14 says Intake Pressure Sensor (hose line); Intake air pressure sensor: hose system malfunction (clogged or detached hose). No idea whether this is related to a cause or a symptom.

Before I lift the tank and start doing stuff, has anyone run into this one before? Hope to be able to spend a little time on it tomorrow.

This thread may be interesting

Intake Air Pressure Sensor - Technical/Mechanical Problems - FJRForum

Still looking...
Hello Rosekean
I read your post, have you figured what was the issue on your bike ?
I jave a 05 fjr 1300 yamaha n I have this issue since last year some mechanics instead of helping me they wanted to buy for $500 dllrs. And I ended so upset 😡 that I just walk away with the biggest finger on the air saying no thanks..I believe that is not a big of deal because thus happens just from one day out of no where I didn't see this coming there's was no symptoms for this to happen.
Please let me know 🙏 if you got it fixed n how do you did it..

I read your post, have you figured what was the issue on your bike ?
As I described in this thread, the root cause for the Fault Code 14 and the poor running was the blob of "goo" that blocked the hose that went to the air pressure sensor. Once I cleaned out the lines, the error went away and operation returned to normal immediately. This has been an issue with at least a half dozen early Gen II FJR's. I have no idea whether it has happened with Gen I (or Gen III+) bikes.
I cleaned out all of the hoses in the "network" but only the one directly connected to the sensor contained visible foreign material.

Hose part 12 and sensor part 17 in the following parts fiche.
https://www.yamahasportsplaza.com/oemparts/a/yam/5004d45ff87002275461cb4c/intake-2
1672874142193.png

The forums to the rescue once again! I had some weird symptoms on my '09 FJR with 145k miles. Posted about it on another forum and they came back with this hose to the MAP. I wasn't aware of the problem. More research including this excellent thread and I removed a small blob of goo from that one vacuum hose and Voila! All is well with my FJR again.

Thanks RossKean for the excellent write-up of the issue and the solution!

Hey, just wanted to give a big THANKS to everyone in this thread.

Changed tires and oil on my 08. Started, ran for a few seconds then shut off. Figured okay maybe oil pressure related? CEL on, seeing code 14

Ran for a while, shut it off, forgot about it. This evening I go to ride it around, does the same thing like 2-3 times, then I get down the street and it won't stay running without using throttle.

Come back, google it, find this thread, get the tank off and took all of the vacuum hoses off (once I figured out which ones they were, thanks for that diagram). Part #12 looked clear, but I blew it out against a wall and it left a orange-ish mark. Blew all the others out, no real gunk that I could see. Put it all back together and it's perfectly fine now. No CEL or anything. Well I hope it stays that way, I got a 150 mile trip tomorrow lol. I keep a lot of tools under the seat...

Just to help the speculation here's some history on the bike. Previous owner put 1500 miles on it over the last 3-4 years. It had 21K on it when I bought it. I've put about 6k on it in about two months. I figured something would happen, bikes hate sitting..

Come back, google it, find this thread, get the tank off and took all of the vacuum hoses off (once I figured out which ones they were, thanks for that diagram). Part #12 looked clear, but I blew it out against a wall and it left a orange-ish mark. Blew all the others out, no real gunk that I could see. Put it all back together and it's perfectly fine now. No CEL or anything. Well I hope it stays that way, I got a 150 mile trip tomorrow lol. I keep a lot of tools under the seat...
I don't know whether blowing it out will be enough long term but will do for now. I would use a pipe cleaner or similar and a spritz of solvent. Make sure it is clean and dry before assembly and don't get solvent in the sensor.

At this point, you know where the problem lies and won't take long to do it again. You don't need to remove the tank. Remove the trim and the two front bolts. Loosen the rear bolt and prop the tank up. Plenty of access for this sort of thing.

I don't know whether blowing it out will be enough long term but will do for now. I would use a pipe cleaner or similar and a spritz of solvent. Make sure it is clean and dry before assembly and don't get solvent in the sensor.

At this point, you know where the problem lies and won't take long to do it again. You don't need to remove the tank. Remove the trim and the two front bolts. Loosen the rear bolt and prop the tank up. Plenty of access for this sort of thing.
Maybe next time I'm in there I'll use q tips and rubbing alcohol or something. I didn't touch the sensor at all.

This might have been risky but I did blow compressed air into the throttle body tubes where the tubes went. One of them might have had something plugging it...? Sound seemed to change.

Don't have to remove the tank? That could be helpful roadside advice... Thanks

Maybe next time I'm in there I'll use q tips and rubbing alcohol or something. I didn't touch the sensor at all.

This might have been risky but I did blow compressed air into the throttle body tubes where the tubes went. One of them might have had something plugging it...? Sound seemed to change.

Don't have to remove the tank? That could be helpful roadside advice... Thanks
When I did mine, the only "goo" was in the one piece of rubber tubing (#12) that led from the sensor. The rest of the tubes and unions were clean - at least no visible residue on the pipe cleaner.

Yes, propping the tank up is sufficient for stuff like this, spark plugs and throttle body synch etc. I remove the tank for valve checks or anything where I might need unrestricted access.

Last edited: