Feej and the pirates

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DiggerDr.

Reaction score
First of all, I don't care what anybody rides. I rode a Harley 40 years ago, That's just not me. And I never push another rider to their limits. I wear a helmet and protective clothing. Even at today's 86 degrees.

Anyway, every so often it happens that I come up  behind one of the local pirates. They don't like that.

My favorite road home is closed due to a bridge out so I turned off US 40 at Putnamville, Indiana to take 243 south. Came up behind a Harley after crossing over I-70. I slowed down and was content to ride back a ways and on the other side of our lane. He sped up past the required 42-47 mph they seem to love. I did the same holding my position with a little more space between us. Coming up on a sharp 90 degree corner with a straight stretch after it, I heard the bark, he stomped the shifter twice going around the corner. (Why do they do that?) I downshifted one gear and the Squawking Chicken.....that don't look right...OH!.. my bad, the Screaming Eagle took flight,with Feej tooling along behind. I rolled into the throttle and held my place in formation. Corners came up and he settled down to a safer speed. I get the impression those bikes don't corner that well. He was trying. We got to State road 42, he turned on his right signal. So did I. He turned and pulled over tinkering around with his mirror. I rode on. Got home and a couple minutes later he cruised by.

Another pirate now knows an FJR can handle whatever they have.

I have had similar experiences following Honda Gold Wings, except there have been a couple of times where the Gold Wing rider out performed me. It's all fun as long as no one pushes beyond his ability.

The worst for me is when I come upon a long parade of 'low and slow' riders who do their best to prevent me from getting past.

I'm not riding behind open pipes.  Too friggin loud.  Next opportunity, whether you like it or not, I'm going around you.

Now, if the pirate's exhaust is reasonable, I don't settling in behind at a safe distance.  If I see the pirate pushing their limits, then usually I'll back off so as not to make them feel pressured.  Many times, they will simply move over and let me around.

As or the pack of pirates running 47 mph.... I've got low tolerance for that.  If a safe opportunity presents itself, I'm going around all of them.  Otherwise, I'll turn off and take another route.

I’ve had a few experiences in politely passing Harley trains where they speed up to block, or worse, move into opposing lanes to block. Always grateful for the FJR’s thrust.