feeling froggy

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

05fjrBluedevil

Reaction score
Just out of curitousity has anyone dropped the engine out of the frame when working on their ride???

If one were to want to do this, what type of jacks would you use to lift the bike while letting the engine come to rest & raising the bike up?

seems with the bike on some type of stand then raising the frame would facilitate this pretty easy.

Last edited by a moderator:
Rad mentioned something about taking his bike apart to get to know it over the winter. Maybe he has some ideas.

Have you considered this type of stand? I would imagine using the 5' uprights would give you enough lift. Whe we yanked motors out of racebikes, we would put a hydraulic floor jack under the oil pan, raise the floor jack enough to take the pressure off of the motor mounts, then, when all motor mounts were out, s-l-o-w-l-y lower the motor. Using the floor jack will allow you stop halfway down if you see that there is something still connected. Then, when the floor jack is all the way down, you would pull up on the tie down straps holding the front end of the bike which would raise the front end even higher which would, hopefully, allow you to slide the motor right out from under the bike.

thanks I just might find myself doing this in the middle of winter, depending on yamy fixing my transmission or not under warranty.

Out of curiosity, when the dealers pulls the heads to fix a ticker do they drop the engine out of the bike?

Out of curiosity, when the dealers pulls the heads to fix a ticker do they drop the engine out of the bike?
Dunno, they would never let me see mine while it was in the OR.

Well I plan on making quite a few surprise visits while they are looking at mine, btw camera will be in hand.

I am hoping to spend a lot of time there this Saturday.

Some have, most haven't. Don't know that I'd trust a shop that had to. But then, don't know that I'd trust a shop. Period. ;)

Just out of curitousity has anyone dropped the engine out of the frame when working on their ride???

If one were to want to do this, what type of jacks would you use to lift the bike while letting the engine come to rest & raising the bike up?

seems with the bike on some type of stand then raising the frame would facilitate this pretty easy.
I dropped the engine when I did my own cylinder head overhaul. I have a complete write-up of the process with pictures and cost (PDF format). I used a chain fall and furniture dolly under the engine.

I have asked the forum admin staff to post it so others could read it but so far no luck.

So, until I can make it more public I will e-mail you a copy if you send me an e-mail titled "Cylinder Head Overhaul" to [email protected].

Jack of all trades, master of none.

Well I plan on making quite a few surprise visits while they are looking at mine, btw camera will be in hand.

Please do. Mine will be going in soon, and I'm interested to see what's in there. The dealer I'll be taking it to won't let anyone near the service area.

Please do. Mine will be going in soon, and I'm interested to see what's in there. The dealer I'll be taking it to won't let anyone near the service area.
Hey Randy - is this for your ticker problem?

What dealer are you going to? Have you dealt with them before, or are you taking a chance? ;)

They didn't drop the engine out of my bike.

I can't see why it would be neccesary, when the head can be pulled straight up from the top.