Finally get to check Austrailia and NZ off my bucket list

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FJRGuy

FJR Rally Addict! :D
Reaction score
Heading that way in less than a month. Girlfriend got a "really good deal" on a barge trip (i'm not big into Cruises) from Auckland, NZ to Sydney, AU. I told her I would rent a bike and meet her at each port of call, but she's insistent that I ride on the boat... and riding from NZ to Australia would prove a bit difficult. Since the cost of Airfare each way is more than the entire 2 weeks on the boat, I'm insisting that we don't leave until I've spent at least a week riding down there.

I know this is the Australia area of the Forum, but looking for information on both Australia and New Zealand. Any information or tips on where best to rent a ride, best routes to hit in the limited time, awesome places to stay, must see sites, and hidden gems will be greatly appreciated.

Hello Jeff

I think i may be able to assist you as regards NZ. Would you like me to do some research on hiring a bike in Auckland??. Let me know how long you have to ride, and i assume you will be flying out of Auckland for Australia.

Regards

Gary

I did just a little bit of riding over there. The country roads are generally not as smooth as ours. Not potholes but bumpy and wavy. Narrow also. But bike enthusiasts they ARE. I have never seen Harleys ridden so aggressively. haahah. They were having a lot of fun. Kangaroos are their version of whitetail deer. Just as dumb. I saw many dead 'roos on the roads. So the same dawn and dusk rules apply. I only rode north of Sydney in their national park areas. Putty Road was a lot of fun. Super twisty and great pavement. There are bike cafes everwhere also. Super friendly people. I intend to do some more riding on my next business trip over there. Have fun.

Search in the Ride Reports section for ideas. Tyler and Morecowbell both did really enjoyable write-ups just last year although I'm sure there's plenty of others.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks Rob! Will do.

Steve, what is "Western Australia"? We have ports of call in Melbourne and Sydney. Haven't booked anything beyond that yet, but leaning towards flying towards the South Island of New Zealand for a week before heading to Hawaii for a week of rest before heading home. I'd like to do more riding but the budget is limited. Can you provide a good argument so staying in Aussiland a while before heading back to NZ?

Gary, thanks! Looking at rentals in Christchurch. See details in PM.

Last edited by a moderator:
I was travelling around in Australia this spring. Although I was driving a rental car, on many roads I wished I had a bike. For example B78 from coast to Armidale is a very nice biking road indeed with few cute towns on the road like Bellingen. This is some 200 miles north of Sydney.

Then we also took a road from Sydney to Melbourne by the coast, A1, and most of it is real fun down to Eden, twisty and hilly.

And then of course south west of Melbourne there's the Great Ocean Road.

Australia is a great place to visit, nice people and beautiful nature.