First cross country ride

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jonathan08

Reaction score
I'm heading out on my first cross country trip this August. Leaving out of Northern KY and first heading up to Montana to visit with a couple friends. Then winding down to Colorado and heading home. I got two weeks to do this. What I was wondering if any one had route suggestions or sites to see. Also, was wondering how you all choose different places to stay. We plan on camping and just winging it but any help would be much appreciated.

For routes, avoid any road that begins with "I".

For sites, there are the usual suspects: St Louis Arch,

Crazy Horse, Mt Rushmore, Devil's Tower yada yada yada....

Seriously, there's so much to see out there your route can

just be from one attraction to the next; you won't run out

of things to see.

For places to camp, pick up a KOA Campground Guide ( free )

and use it to plan your stops. Call ahead ( toll free )

for reservations.

Since this is your first trip the additional support provided

by a KOA ( laundry, camp store, clean bathrooms, hot showers,

The Weather Channel, occasional meals, etc )allows a little

less stress for a more enjoyable trip.

Lastly, avoid Kansas in August at all costs.

I'm heading out on my first cross country trip this August. Leaving out of Northern KY and first heading up to Montana to visit with a couple friends. Then winding down to Colorado and heading home. I got two weeks to do this. What I was wondering if any one had route suggestions or sites to see. Also, was wondering how you all choose different places to stay. We plan on camping and just winging it but any help would be much appreciated.
Are you ending up in eastern or western Montana?

I got a friend that lives in Billings, MT and another one that lives just outside of Yellowstone. We will be spending at least one night with each.

I got a friend that lives in Billings, MT and another one that lives just outside of Yellowstone. We will be spending at least one night with each.

I have a buddy in Billings as well. One of these years I'll make it out there on the bike. Have a good trip, I'm jealous. :)

I'll toss in a vote for the Going To The Sun road in Glacier National Park, up by Kalispell. We were there 2 years ago and if, like us, you've never been there... Wow...

DSC08383.jpg

Your going to do Montana and Colorado from Kentucky while camping. That's pretty ambitious.

For routes, avoid any road that begins with "I".

For sites, there are the usual suspects: St Louis Arch,

Crazy Horse, Mt Rushmore, Devil's Tower yada yada yada....

Seriously, there's so much to see out there your route can

just be from one attraction to the next; you won't run out

of things to see.

For places to camp, pick up a KOA Campground Guide ( free )

and use it to plan your stops. Call ahead ( toll free )

for reservations.

Since this is your first trip the additional support provided

by a KOA ( laundry, camp store, clean bathrooms, hot showers,

The Weather Channel, occasional meals, etc )allows a little

less stress for a more enjoyable trip.

Lastly, avoid Kansas in August at all costs.
+1111111 on KOAs. Great places. If you're really tired of tent camping, rent one of their "Kabins" (which are just a few bucks more per night). I've used KOA on my trips out west. No complaints at all. (although some are precariously close to railroad tracks, and highways) I was too tired to care and passed out. The Kabins typically have bunkbeds and a double bed, depending on the site. Their website has a lot of information as well.

Just go. Take lots of pictures and put up a Ride Report to make the rest of us wish we were doing this!

Also, avoid NE. Nothing, literally, to see here. It's a "pass-thru" state.

I'll toss in a vote for the Going To The Sun road in Glacier National Park, up by Kalispell. We were there 2 years ago and if, like us, you've never been there... Wow...

DSC08383.jpg
This will be the first time I will have been farther west than St Louis, so i'm pretty excited. Also I appreciate all the tips. Deff. going to get a list of all the KOA campgrounds in the areas we are going to be passing through. Never done a "wing it" trip so this should be interesting.

Beartooth Highway/Chief Joseph Scenic Byway. A must ride and not far from Billings....
+70. And the Going to the Sun Road. And southern Utah. And Northern California and the Oregon coast. And certain roads in Colorado. Any National Park beginning with the letter "Y." What did I forget? Just go as far as you can.

Beartooth Highway/Chief Joseph Scenic Byway. A must ride and not far from Billings....
In '08 I rode most of the famous roads in the Rookies (Going to the Sun,Million Dollar Highway,Trail Ridge Road,Snowy Ridge Road,Wind River) and The Beartooth Pass/Chief Joeseph Scenic By Ways left the most lasting impression...by far!Incredible mountain scenery with the added bonus of higher speed limits than roads in national parks.

+70. And the Going to the Sun Road. And southern Utah. And Northern California and the Oregon coast. And certain roads in Colorado. Any National Park beginning with the letter "Y." What did I forget? Just go as far as you can.
Don't forget Crater Lake in OR, and of course CA 1, 36, yada, yada.

Don't forget Crater Lake in OR, and of course CA 1, 36, yada, yada.
https://www.motorcycleroads.com/Routes/Montana_102.html Jonathan08, start checking out https://www.motorcycleroads.com because they have all of the great Motorcycling Roads in the Western United States fully described and rider rated for you. I use this Rider Resource a lot and the information has always been accurate with local rider knowledge.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ua_oBMg48ok https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CMbaxGImUvc

PS to ShinyPartsUp: SPU you failed to mention the "Special Tour" of Old Michael's garden apartment in Old Sacramento, if one is riding to Kali this is a must see/do!

Last edited by a moderator: