First KTM 690 Enduro Ride

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dcarver

Reaction score
Dodge dually has bad steering wheel shake, time for clean the mud from rims, balance tires, rotate, check alignment.

Tire store says about 3 hours needed.

Sit in shop and wait or..

Load new to me KTM 690 on little trailer, ride while the tire jockeys do their thing?

Of course!

First impressions?

Wheelie Monster!

Runs a bit warm on temp indicator, normal?

Super light compared to other stable mates.

Flick and Flack, Dash the Gap and GO!

At 518 miles on odo, close to 600 mile service

Woo Hoo, this bitch can run!

70 mph no problem, but passing 3 nose-to-tail semis on 166.. NOT.

Tall. Even taller after proper air in tires and Seat Concepts seat.

Side stand is WONKY. Requires tilting bike to RHS to clear stand 'toe' to pavement.. while on tippy toes..
Might have to have my bud Greg 'influenced' to reduce stand length.

So much FUN!

Strafe the corner, hit the gas, lift the front, hmmm... how much traction does a 21" front tire have?

All in all, phucking LOVE this ride.

~d

I always thought the 690 was the perfect dual sport, so long as no long distance touring was required. Light enough to have fun off road but still get up to highway speeds.

Dodge dually has bad steering wheel shake, time for clean the mud from rims, balance tires, rotate, check alignment.

Tire store says about 3 hours needed.

Sit in shop and wait or..

Load new to me KTM 690 on little trailer, ride while the tire jockeys do their thing?

Of course!

First impressions?

Wheelie Monster!

Runs a bit warm on temp indicator, normal?
Yes my 2010 is a wheelie demon too!

Hot motor, but fan keeps it in check. I hit kill switch if sitting still for a minute or more. I don’t shut off key if fan is running rather stop motor with kill switch and when fan shuts off then shut off ignition.

Yes my 2010 is a wheelie demon too!

Hot motor, but fan keeps it in check. I hit kill switch if sitting still for a minute or more. I don’t shut off key if fan is running rather stop motor with kill switch and when fan shuts off then shut off ignition.
Does it do any good to run the fans after engine shutdown? You may cool the fluid in the radiator but it doesn't circulate to the engine without the water pump...

Sounds like Carver got a practically new (ten-year-old) KTM!!

Interesting you mention hot engine temps. I noticed that quickly, like you said, at idle, stopped, the temp gauge ramped up and the fan kicked in.

I bought this bike from Jorstin, and it came with extra high dollar coolant which tells me he too must have noticed higher temps than we normally see with the FJR's.

Once underway, temps drop to mid scale whatever deg F that is. Fortunately, I don't live in big city and will be moving more than stopped.

And yes, it's like a new 10 year old bike. :)

Still searching for my 690. I’ve seen Mr Bill’s and me want.

Truly a fun, simple bike. Haven't read through FSM yet, but apparently no fuel gauge <really?> and no ABS brakes. Then again ABS would add weight.

The bike is really really really fun for street fighting 'run and thrust' from tight corner to tight corner.

I can see why peeps like super moto bikes now... with even more front contact patch, oh man that would be fun too...

See if someone makes a higher pop off pressure radiator cap. Shinko 804/805 tires I do suggest :)

I've used TKC80's on the DL650. Quick early wear to where knob is 1 or 2 mm tall then they last for a long time with limited traction.

Not tried the TwinDuro.. maybe I should just to see...