first long ride on FJR

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
yesterday morning i got back on my FJR and went for a little spin, damn i didnt' want to stop and had the biggest smile on my face. but due to family stuff the fun had to stop and the smile faded away

I've only done 120 or so...Last Fri, and again on Sat. I took my wife from central KY to Huntington WV to visit family/freinds. Her first trip on an Interstate. It was pretty fun...only one really bad truck turbulaence incident. I don't know if she'll do anything longer than that trip or not.
MP <><
Get a really good windshield if you want her to ride with you more. Keeping her in nice smooth air is important if you want her on the back. Slow down and take the back roads (they are more fun anyway). Make it enjoyable for her. I speak from experience. Got my first bike and my wife would not get on it even if I said I would take her to her folks house (30 miles away). Nope...followed me in the car!

I finally got her (the wife) broke in to motorcycles by being nice to her. Worked. She loves motorcycles now. Can't wait for the weekends to ride. She wants to spend her vacations on a motorcycle, too. She has raced dirt bikes (motocross, TT and desert racing) and was good at it. She moved up (in size) to full dress Harley baggers (which she now makes fun of). Now by my side on an '07 FJR which, to date, is her favorite bike. She has owned 11 motorcycles and ridden my by side for the last 17 years. We have ridden almost every state. We road to Alaska. And, we have ridden a lot of southern Canada. Not bad for a wife who HATED motorcycles.

She may not be as fast as some, but she is faster than most and fun to ride with. We did 425 miles yesterday in the mountains of northern New Mexico...and that ain't bad.

So...scare 'em or make it unpleasant...and you ride by yourself (boy...am I going to get solo rider and "macho male" comments on this). Make it fun and you gain a riding partner for life. And life is good when your favorite riding buddy is your wife. Makes getting permission to buy farkles easier too!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
You definately get used to doing longer rides. I did a 850 mile day on my way back from FL to KY. Yesterday I went for a 215 mile ride. When I got off the bike in the garage, I was like, "That's it????" Almost got back on to do another 100 miles, but the S.O. came out with a list of stuff to do around the house......

He learned that we both ride FJR's then told us that he'd ridden FIFTY miles on the HD the previous day. He seemed very proud of that fact. (There was a truck with trailer in the parking lot).
Be sure and tell him about the IBR if you see him again!!! :rolleyes:

I traded a Vstrom for the FJR mid summer and took it out for a 2 week tour early September. Visited my mother for a few days. The rest were 600 to 800 mile days and always wanting more. Haven't tried riding with a passenger yet cause I'm still looking for a woman with her own cycle.

I traded a Vstrom for the FJR mid summer and took it out for a 2 week tour early September. Visited my mother for a few days. The rest were 600 to 800 mile days and always wanting more. Haven't tried riding with a passenger yet cause I'm still looking for a woman with her own cycle.

hell, i'm looking for a woman.........of course that makes my wife mad as hell ....LOL

Dang!

I'd volunteer (I am female!) but I just sold my FJR and only have three bikes now... and an old RV! :rolleyes:

I wanted a VStrom 1000 but couldn't touch the floor! :angry:

Mary aka Krashdragon

Sonicspeed,

Is your 423 mi trip still your longest day? Weather's getting into the 30s here with frequent snows. I might not be doing anymore long trips until spring.

Dang!I'd volunteer (I am female!) but I just sold my FJR and only have three bikes...

Mary aka Krashdragon
Only three? :unsure: Its a tough life.

Do you ski?

Sonicspeed,Is your 423 mi trip still your longest day? Weather's getting into the 30s here with frequent snows. I might not be doing anymore long trips until spring.

Dang!I'd volunteer (I am female!) but I just sold my FJR and only have three bikes...

Mary aka Krashdragon

Do you ski?
so far it is...work and family slowing me up a bit

ok today i put 423 miles on my FJR. that is the longest i have ever rode a scoot in 1 day. ( i know, i know i'm a wuss) except for getting a little squirrelly around 18 wheelers, it was the smoothest, fastest ride i have ever experienced. BTW i put on the v-stream windshield last night before my ride and it is an excellant product. no helmet buffeting, no wind noise when in up position, the only minor and i mean minor gripe is the heat buildup behind it.
NICE! They'll get longer, trust me. The longest day on my BMW R1150RT was 650 miles. And I was *done* after that. Corbin seats suck.

The longest day thus far on my Harley Ultra was 550 miles, and we just ran out of daylight (Colorado Rockies, lots of stopping/pictures/etc.).

There is a Black FJR in my future ... I just need to sell this black Harley first. Or my Silverado. Nah, the HD. I like my pickup too much. :)

Sonicspeed,Is your 423 mi trip still your longest day? Weather's getting into the 30s here with frequent snows. I might not be doing anymore long trips until spring.

Mary aka Krashdragon

Do you ski?

America is huge, go south

Funny, I went to a wedding in Chicago this past weekend (Joliet actually). Everyone made a big deal about how we came all the way from Ohio for the wedding. The wife and I just kept laughing everytime, because it was only 320 miles each way. That's a REALLY short day for us. Hell, 500 miles is a short day. It was just a couple states for cryin' out loud, and we were the first ones to arrive for the rehearsal! Apparently it's a perspective thing. Nevertheless, it made us both grin everytime somebody said it.

Fear not Sonic, 423 miles is a VERY respectable day, even in this crowd! A few more miles and a few more farkles and you'll be runnin' with the big gun IBA guys in no time. At least that's what I keep telling myself. :D

ok today i put 423 miles on my FJR. that is the longest i have ever rode a scoot in 1 day. ( i know, i know i'm a wuss) except for getting a little squirrelly around 18 wheelers, it was the smoothest, fastest ride i have ever experienced. BTW i put on the v-stream windshield last night before my ride and it is an excellant product. no helmet buffeting, no wind noise when in up position, the only minor and i mean minor gripe is the heat buildup behind it.
What's your size sonic?? I'm 6'2", 34" inseam... I purchased the Yama touring w/s and it's better but still some wind noise. I also have some Skyway spacers installed so no buffeting, just wind noise, although not as bad as with the stock w/s...

Thinking about the V-stream if it's better. I think it's 4" taller than stock which the Touring w/s is as well,, but I could be wrong...

CONGRATS ON THE RIDE MAN!You will definately develop "Skooteritis" only try not to do it at Skooter G's speed.My limit is about 750 miles before monkeybutt sets in too bad.Took my bike 200 miles yesterday to a Buell Inside Pass day,taped it up,rode it on a track,demo rode the new Buell 1125R and untaped it and rode home!Slept like a baby last night!I have always found it fun to chase daylight to see how far I can go.

The first ride on my 2004 was a 600 mile trip from New Jersey (just over the river from Philly) back home to Cincinnati, and that was at least 5 times as long as my longest ride until that point. By the end of the day I was tired, but there was a grin on my face a mile wide. I only had that bike just over a month before I was rear-ended in traffic (19 year old on a cell phone) and the bike was totaled. I'm picking up an '07 next weekend. It's only going to be a 300 mile trip to get this one back home, but that mile-wide grin keeps popping back up every time I think about it.

What's your size sonic?? I'm 6'2", 34" inseam... I purchased the Yama touring w/s and it's better but still some wind noise. I also have some Skyway spacers installed so no buffeting, just wind noise, although not as bad as with the stock w/s...

Thinking about the V-stream if it's better. I think it's 4" taller than stock which the Touring w/s is as well,, but I could be wrong...

i'm 5'9" 30" inseam

Mary aka Krashdragon

Do you ski?

I used to ski a bit, but not very well..

never had a chance to ski in powder, just the man made stuff in Ohio, kinda like ice crystals...<G>

Ok, a Harley barhopper set up for touring,

a small Triumph cruiser almost set up for touring,

and a Suzuki Bandit just to go fast... that needs fixed again, it was hit while parked in a school parking lot. :eek: (

If I could find a real fairing for it, it could be a nice sporty touring bike....

Mary

Funny, I went to a wedding in Chicago this past weekend (Joliet actually). Everyone made a big deal about how we came all the way from Ohio for the wedding. The wife and I just kept laughing everytime, because it was only 320 miles each way. That's a REALLY short day for us. Hell, 500 miles is a short day. It was just a couple states for cryin' out loud, and we were the first ones to arrive for the rehearsal! Apparently it's a perspective thing. Nevertheless, it made us both grin everytime somebody said it.
Fear not Sonic, 423 miles is a VERY respectable day, even in this crowd! A few more miles and a few more farkles and you'll be runnin' with the big gun IBA guys in no time. At least that's what I keep telling myself. :D
the "all the way from Ohio"...

I kept getting that comment when I was riding cross country.... never did learn my lisc plate number, I just told them it was the only bike with an Ohio plate in the parking lot.

What was even better were the comments I got when my Harley still had the Hawaii plates on it..

mostly dumb comments, but some folks couldnt' figure out how the bike even got to Hi in the first place...<G>

mary

The longest single journey I've done is about 300 miles and I wouldn't honestly want to go much further in one day. To me, it's not about putting miles on your bike, its getting the most out of the miles you travel.

I love motorcycles too and I am still searching for "THE ONE". In 04 I purchased a Moto Guzzi Lemans. My first bike after going 18 years without. Owned it for 2.5 years and put about 30k on it. Had a ball on that bike. Got tired of the low riding position with the clips ons. Sold it and thought maybe the ultimate cruiser would be "THE ONE". Bought a 2000 HD Road King Classic. Cleaned and polished it and put cool pipes on it. Owned it for 2 months. It killed my back and was too slow. HD not "THE ONE". Sold it and actually made money. Took my wad and went back to Guzzi. Bought the new Norge 1200. It's a really great bike but still not "THE ONE". Now I'm selling the Norge and got the hots for an 07 FJR. I love the black cherry with those silver accents. Today I am kicking myself for not looking closer at the FJR before buying the Norge. Why, why, why? After owning the Norge for 2 months I test rode an 07 FJR twice. First time I took it out for about 10 miles and thought it was ok but kind of weird. Happily got back on my Norge and rode off. A month later I took it again for about 25 miles but this time I didn't want to get off. Since then I have been plotting and scheming to get the FJR. I think the FJR may be "THE ONE"! I have found that it really takes owning a motorcycle to determine if you really like it. You just can't know from a few test spins. Truth is I would like to have two or three. Reality is I can only have one. The FJR will be my next bike.
Motorad - the FJR will be "The One", I assure you. Like you, I had a big gap inbetween riding bikes and in the last couple of years I've had no fewer than 11 bikes!!!! That includes the new Honda CBF1000 and the new Guzzi Griso. I never kept any of them for more than a few months and then I finally bought the FJR1300AS. WOW! Now I have absolutely no interest in changing it at all. It's the perfect all-round bike for me.

Sure, I wouldn't mind a 6oo sports for scratching about on, but it would have to be a second bike - cos nothings gonna replace my Feejer.