First Ride for the New Family!!

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Imp

Reaction score
In preparation for our upcoming honeymoon ride, Joy and I decided that we not only need to practice our trip planning but we also wanted to start posting some of our rides so that we can really do justice when it comes time to post the ride next summer. So....here goes.

We left home on Saturday morning with no particular destination in mind except a stop in the panhandle to pick up some Tupelo honey. The first leg of the journey was the only familiar portion of the ride for each of us. Hwy 19 is one long straight...mostly uninhabited stretch of highway. We traveled north to Perry where we picked up Highway 98 West to the Panhandle. There is no finer stretch of highway in the entire state of Florida. There is still relatively little traffic, some very nice sweepers that run along the coastline, and until you reach Panama City there is relatively little development...just a few sleepy little towns and some terrific state parks.

We were about an hour west of Perry when we spied another bike on the road ahead. Being the curious type, I had to ...ummmmm....keep up with traffic and find out who this traveler might be. Much to our surprise...it was another FJR! We followed at a respectful distance for a few miles before we all pulled over for a proper hello. We were, of course, delighted to learn that he is also a forum member - Alan.

FJRDec07028.jpg

Alan, Joy, and me.....

FJRDec07025.jpg

We shared lunch, a few laughs, checked out farkles, and shared a few miles of road! Alan was in the lead since he was the only one equipped with a speed trap detector! :yahoo:

Alan stopped in a beautiful little town called Appalachicola. If you ever get to that area that is a must see! Joy and I continued on in search of the Tupelo Honey. Fortunately for us, we were not mandated to pronounce the name of the town prior to purchasing the honey...it is found in a tiny little town called Wewahitchka.

FJRDec07031.jpg

Our search had ended...now it was time to thinka about a meal and a place to rest for the night. We continued on to Fort Walton Beach.

FJRDec07056.jpg

After a meal and a cold brew we tucked the FJR's in for the night.

FJRDec07058.jpg

Sunday morning was another beautiful day for riding. We headed back east along Highway 98, this time taking time for pictures and some sight seeing in and around the many state parks that dot the coastline.

FJRDec07076.jpg

Click on the little picture for a slide show of the rest of our pics....

Last edited by a moderator:
:clapping: What a great first ride report! :yahoo:

All that fun and meeting another forum member was in the mix...how cool is that?!?!

My 'ole stomp'in ground when I was in Ft. Walton in the military..

Nice pics, looks like ya'll had a great ride...

All that fun and meeting another forum member was in the mix...how cool is that?!?!

Meeting another forum member was the icing on the cake!

Imp

Nice ride report. Glad you made along 98 to Fort Walton. I lived there from 1981 until 1995.

I know you got some great views of the Gulf while on your journey and met another forum member You meet some of the nicest people on a FJR

Hey, if you're around here again, drop a PM!!!! I'm in Panama City, and before I-10 was completed through N FL, the 19/27 route through Perry, Cross City, and Chiefland was the way to get to central and south Florida from here, so I've been there, just not on the bike.

The correct local pronunciation of Wewahitchka is Wee-Wah. The rest of it just sort of falls off the end. Now you know. Just wait till you have to ask how to get to the Ochlockonee River. (The h and the last o don't exist in the pronunciation.)

As for state parks, they're all over the place up here, which is great, because west of here, they're just about all that's left of natural coastline.

Read about my own Gulf Coast ride, my wife's first day trip on the bike, here.

BTW, your slide show link just takes me to the general Photobucket home page. :huh:

Edit: looking at the page source, your link is bustie: There's a part that says view¤t, should say view&current, and it works then. Got to see your show.

Last edited by a moderator:
Read about my own Gulf Coast ride, my wife's first day trip on the bike, here.
BTW, your slide show link just takes me to the general Photobucket home page. :huh:

Edit: looking at the page source, your link is bustie: There's a part that says view¤t, should say view&current, and it works then. Got to see your show.
Thanks for the Edit....got it fixed...now everyone can see. BTW...we saw your ride report :D which is what prompted us to take our little jaunt!

We will be sure to let you know the next time we head north, we are already planning our next trip...want to check out Appalachacola!

And his and hers matching FJR's! Excellent!

Great report! It's good seeing pics from the panhandle. I was lucky enough to get stationed at Tyndall in the early 80's, and made the trip between there and Jacksonville many times. My preferred route was Hwy 98 to Perry. Great road.

Look forward to seeing more of your reports. Don't wait until summer!

Nice report,Very cool that your SO has an FJR also.

Ya know what that means,she gets to keep an eye on you sir.

Good luck with future trips.

Nice report,Very cool that your SO has an FJR also.Ya know what that means,she gets to keep an eye on you sir.

What is that supposed to mean above? I enjoyed riding with you guys and wish you the very best. Let's ride again soon.

Alan

Nice report,Very cool that your SO has an FJR also.Ya know what that means,she gets to keep an eye on you sir.

What is that supposed to mean above? I enjoyed riding with you guys and wish you the very best. Let's ride again soon.

Alan
It means that some use their cycles as an escape from their wife-unit. You won't be able to do that as she is also your riding partner. Of course, there are many couples we see on every ride who are 2-up. Some like to be together.

Hey Imp and Joy,

My wife Iris (herfjr) and I also have matching FJR's (2005's) with approx. 47,000 miles on them. We enjoy touring all over the US and Canada. It's nice to see your twins in the photos. It reminds me of alot of our trip photos. Nice report and pics. The place where you got your honey appears that they may have the bee hives out back. It's always nice to see another couple riding together. :clapping: If you're ever up near New York, give us shout. We would love to ride with you guys.

Jim

Hey Imp and Joy,My wife Iris (herfjr) and I also have matching FJR's (2005's) with approx. 47,000 miles on them. We enjoy touring all over the US and Canada. It's nice to see your twins in the photos. It reminds me of alot of our trip photos. Nice report and pics. The place where you got your honey appears that they may have the bee hives out back. It's always nice to see another couple riding together. :clapping: If you're ever up near New York, give us shout. We would love to ride with you guys.

Jim
I first bought honey from them 15 years ago when I could get 5 gal for the price of 10lb now :angry2: . It is a honey made form tupelo trees that grow /bloom only in that area. Even diabetics can eat it, no I am not a diabetic but love the honey. Here is a link to the site https://www.lltupelohoney.com/ . They do have a bunch of bees around there but the store is in the a town (very small bnut still a town). Joy had to be carefull since she is very allergic to bee stings.

Yes it is nice to have the same bike since now I can keep up with her :yahoo: . Do you have any pics of your rides to share?

Alan
It means that some use their cycles as an escape from their wife-unit. You won't be able to do that as she is also your riding partner. Of course, there are many couples we see on every ride who are 2-up. Some like to be together.
That's exactly what I meant, thanks for clearing that up Madmike.

Alan, you must be single brother. LOL

Someday you might understand.

Hey Imp,

Yes, you can see some of our trip photos here on the forum. Go to Ride Reports, my post "Trip to Nova Scotia, Canada 2007 (May-June 13 Days - 2600 miles)". Be sure to continue thru all four parts. It was a great trip. It's funny you say that "....... now I can keep up with her". That's pretty much how it is with Iris and I. :rolleyes: