First Ride with Motty AFR Tuner

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

UselessPickles

Making Grand Canyon replicas from air boxes...
Reaction score
I finally have my Motty AFR Tuner successfully installed and calibrated. Some of the final calibrations required some experimentation with me being the guinea pig since I was the first to install a Motty on a Gen II FJR.

I've done about 80 miles of commuting so far, and the Motty seems to have already tuned the commonly used areas of the map pretty well (cruising and gentle acceleration). Off -> on throttle response in 1st and 2nd gear is already very smooth; no more jerking/twitching (e.g., engine braking with 0% throttle, then rolling on the throttle around a sharp corner).

Less commonly used areas of the map will take longer to get tuned. High throttle + high RPM areas of the map can only be reliably tuned in higher gears because RPMs change so quickly and the throttle is so sensitive in lower gears. I have the Motty configured so that 3rd gear is the lowest gear that it will self-tune up to 100% throttle, and it seems to handle that well. Now I need to find some opportunities to do several 3rd gear full throttle pulls from 2000 RPM up to redline (~115mph) so I can get the 100% throttle area of the map tuned well.

Here's some evidence of the Motty doing its thing...

Here's part of the data log from my ride:

motty_data_log.gif

The bottom line is the actual AFR. My target is 13. The other 3 lines are throttle position, RPMs and speed. This is me taking off from a light and casually accelerating up to about 45mph. One point of interest is the RPMs initially increasing, but then decreasing as I slip the clutch to get going.

Here's a portion of the resulting fuel injection map after my ride:

motty_injection_map.gif

Very similar to a PCIII map, the value in each cell is some amount of fuel that is added/subtracted to/from the amount of fuel requested by the stock fuel injection system. The current RPMs and throttle position are used to find which value in the map is to be used (throttle positions listed across the top, RPMs down the left side).

For comparison, here's the equivalent portion of DynoJet's PCIII map for a stock FJR:

pcIII_injection_map.gif

The Motty map is shaping up similar to the PCIII map. Some things to consider when comparing the Motty map to the PCIII map:

• The Motty is set up for an RPM resolution of 150 versus the PCIII's resolution of 250.
  • The Motty has several more distinct throttle positions in its map, especially in lower throttle positions for better control.
  • The values are likely not directly comparable between the two. It looks like the Motty's numbers are generally bigger than the PCII's numbers. This probably just means that the Motty has a finer level of precision for its fuel adjustments (e.g., +5 in the PCIII map might be the same amount of additional fuel as +10 in the Motty map)

I can't wait for this cold weather to go away so I can ride more. The more I ride, the more perfectly my bike will be tuned :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Dude why do you have less commonly used parts of your throttle?

I use all of mine all of the time.... :rolleyes:

R

Dude why do you have less commonly used parts of your throttle?
I use all of mine all of the time.... :rolleyes:

R
Darn traffic is in the way!

And just in case someone takes your reply too seriously... it's not just throttle, but combinations of throttle positions and RPMs. Rolling on the throttle from 0 to 100% will not cover the entire map; it'll only cover portions of the map that follow some line/curve through the table that crosses through the specific throttle position and RPM combinations that you visited.

Dude you lost me at "Darn"

R

:clapping:

Sure does look good though, will be interesting to hear those Hexacones on the Holeshots, even if they do leak.......

will be interesting to hear those Hexacones on the Holeshots, even if they do leak.......
Do you doubt my ability to apply silicone exhaust gasket goo and tighten a clamp?

I might get a preview of how it will sound this weekend. I got the O2 sensor bung filed down to fit the curvature of the pipe and I need to test fit everything together to determine the final placement of the bung on the header. I'll try to remember to get a video clip. I'm just running the stock exhaust system for now.

Pickles,

Does your motty tuning box allow you to change your specific AFR % value goal? You stated that yours was currently

set at 13%. Is that by your choice or a factory preset? Can you adjust that %?

If so.. Will it allow you to set multiple (different) specific AFR % goals based on rpm values?

BTW, what elevation are you tuning at?

Webby

Pickles,
Does your motty tuning box allow you to change your specific AFR % value goal? You stated that yours was currently

If so.. Will it allow you to set multiple (different) specific AFR % goals based on rpm values?

Webby
The Motty uses an AFR target map that is the same resolution as its injector map (injector map is equivalent to a PCIII map). For every combination of throttle position and RPMs, you can specify a different AFR target. You can also use a target value of 0 in any cell to tell the Motty to leave the corresponding cell of the injector map alone (no auto-tuning for that cell).

I think I'm around 700ft elevation. It's also pretty flat around here, so not a lot of elevation change.

BTW - if you do ride through lots of elevation changes, the stock ECU will make immediate adjustments that should keep you somewhat close to the target AFR values, then the Motty will make adjustments as needed when you visit each area (throttle/RPM combo) of the map for the first time at the new elevation.

Pickles,

Webby
The Motty uses an AFR target map that is the same resolution as its injector map (injector map is equivalent to a PCIII map). For every combination of throttle position and RPMs, you can specify a different AFR target. You can also use a target value of 0 in any cell to tell the Motty to leave the corresponding cell of the injector map alone (no auto-tuning for that cell).

I think I'm around 700ft elevation. It's also pretty flat around here, so not a lot of elevation change.

BTW - if you do ride through lots of elevation changes, the stock ECU will make immediate adjustments that should keep you somewhat close to the target AFR values, then the Motty will make adjustments as needed when you visit each area (throttle/RPM combo) of the map for the first time at the new elevation.

Very cool..

Funny thing you mentioned elevation changes... During my trip to Yellowstone, I found out about the disadvantage of having my 02 disconnected. She ran a bit too rich (tuned for around 900ft around my parts). The nice thing about the Dolbeck/Techlusion box is that I don't need a PC/laptop to tune it.. So I slightly leaned up my adjustment dials on the tuner box (along side of the road) and she purred like a kitten.

If the motty adjusts for elevation well... That is a huge advantage over the standard Power Commanders.

The Dolbeck/Techlusion FI tuner does allow you to set it up to use your (02 sensor and/or the bike existing tune settings during a load cycle). This would of helped me out in Yellowstone.

I like what I am heasring about your motty.

WW

If the motty adjusts for elevation well... That is a huge advantage over the standard Power Commanders.
The Motty indirectly adjusts for everything because it is continuously adjusting to maintain the target AFR. Anything that can throw off the AFR (temperature change, exhaust change, exhaust falls off, elevation change, rat builds a nest in your air box, etc.) will be accounted for indirectly by the Motty because the only thing it cares about is measured AFR vs desired AFR.

The stock ECU helps to lessen the amount of adjustment that the Motty needs to make in day-to-day riding because the stock ECU already makes adjustments based on air temp, elevation, etc. The Motty's injection map is an adjustment to whatever the stock ECU wants, so the stock ECU's adjustments are still honored. If you go up in elevation a lot, the stock ECU will reduce fueling in an attempt to match the reduced air density. The end result with Motty's injection map adjustments may not be perfect for your desired AFR, but it will be closer than if the stock ECU's adjustments were ignored (if the Motty was a replacement injection system rather than a piggy-back system). At that point, the Motty will make whatever adjustments are necessary to its injection map to attain the target AFR. It doesn't care that it was elevation change that cause the change in AFR; it just makes it happen.

Basically, drastic environmental changes will cause you to be slightly out of tune... the same amount of out-of-tuneness as if you were using a PCIII in environmental conditions that were different that those in which the PCIII map was originally tuned. But the Motty will do what the PCIII can't... detect that it's out of tune and refine the fuel map to bring it back into perfect tune for the current conditions as you ride.