First Ride

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PTParks

Reaction score
Well, I finally got to bring my new FJR home today. Dealer is about 110 miles away so I wanted to pick a day that the weather would be somewhat cooperative for the first ride home. I was a little apprehensive since I have never owned a motorcycle that fit in the sport cruiser category. Plenty of time on HD's and Victory, and smaller Hondas, so my first encounter was going to be a little intimidating. However, after wrapping everything up with the dealer I spent about 30 minutes in the dealer's parking lot and the vacant lot next door getting used to the clutch and throttle, and making some slow, tight turns. Finally decided that it was time to hit the highway (actually Interstate 85 in Charlotte, NC). The initial apprehension rapidly disappeared as I started getting used to the feel of the bike. Seamless power, silky smooth shifting (no "clunk" like the V-twins, just a little "click") and adjusting to having my feet back under me instead of out in front on a set of forward pegs (my hip joints going "WTF??"). I found the stock rear view mirrors completely adequate. I had no trouble seeing what was behind me. I suspect I'll need to experiment with the handlebar adjustments. While I felt comfortable for the first half of the trip home, my arms started feeling like I had been holding myself in a push-up position and my right wrist felt like it was in the wrong position/angle to get a comfortable grip on the throttle. Speaking of the throttle, it is as stiff as any I have felt. That has got to be one of the first mods I get done. Only a couple of glitches noticed: The bike stalled after starting it up to leave the dealer but restarted immediately. However, it occurred again when I was downshifting coming up on a stop light. Again it started right up and only did it once. The rest of the trip was relatively uneventful. I think I will be looking to modify the seat with a little additional cushioning or maybe another seat, but not immediately. Overall, absolutely no disappointments. Can't wait to finish with the initial break-in and first service so I can see what she'll do when given the prod.

Last edited by a moderator:
Congrats! :yahoo:

Glad all is going well. It shouldn't really be stalling, but ride it for a while and see how she does.

Enjoy the new scoot and ride safe. ;)

Congrats! I would recommend adding sliders and / or tip over guards as your first farkle. It is cheap insurance to prevent expensive repairs resulting from a drop.

I am looking forward to riding my bike back home in a couple of weeks. My ride back will be a bit longer than yours though - I'll be riding from Florida to Michigan. :yahoo:

Congrats on the New Ride now go sign up for the FJR NERDS event in VT, and EOM in KY. Remember shinny side up rubber side down.

Congrats on the purchase and enjoy the new ride!

Regarding the stalling, check the idle speed. If it's not at least 1100 rpm, turn it up a bit and both you and the bike will be much happier... ;)

--G

Your body will adapt to the form factor.

Afterwards go ride a cruiser sit-n-beg bike and it will feel strange.

Congrats.

Your real experience will be in the twisties, these things don't turn like the square tire harley's, more like a sport bike where you run into the turn and late apex.

My stalled the same as yours for a bit, then all of the sudden for no reason stopped stalling. Don't remember the mileage as to when that happened but it ended. Just figured it was the oxygenated gas out here in cali.

Congrats on your new ride. May you have many happy miles together.

Congrats on your new bike! There were some things that I felt unsure if I could live with when I first got my FJR, but the longer I have it the more I love it!

Best of luck with your new ride.

Give it time as far as the seat and bar position your body is not used to this style riding yet. It is way different than a large slow bike.