FirstGear Torrent 3/4 jacket

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sportsguy

searchgeek - author
Reaction score
Just bought one a couple days ago.

Mostly mesh for airflow, still has the expected armor (plus I have my own back protector) and has two waterproof pockets.

clicky for jacket webpage

My goal is to replace my "shorty" mesh jacket I wear on warmer days with something a bit more utilitarian, more like my Tourmaster 3 season jacket, but with even better airflow.

I love the higher, softer collar on the Firstgear Torrent already and I haven't even ridden with it yet!

Hoping to change that today, though as the Z4 is in the garage for some installs, and my wife is taking the Jetta today. Thus, I shall gear up, hop on Oren, The Black Barge, and pierce the PNW liquid sunshine we're enjoying today.

Only drawback was the only color in stock was the gray/black combo. I could have waited to order in another color combo that would be brighter, but I might just get creative with some reflective tape/velcro as well... :) Their website doesn't do a good job of showing color combos, but then again, maybe the gray/black and yellow/black I see ARE the only combos...LOL

Whatever - off to start prepping for my sure-to-be-EPIC cross town in the rain cruise... :)

Dude PLEASE tell us you didn't pay more than $80 for that jacket. My brother just picked one up from motogearoutlet.com for $75 plus shipping less than a month ago. We went for a ride right after he got it...Frigging nice jacket. I shoulda got one too.

Dude PLEASE tell us you didn't pay more than $80 for that jacket. My brother just picked one up from motogearoutlet.com for $75 plus shipping less than a month ago. We went for a ride right after he got it...Frigging nice jacket. I shoulda got one too.
DUDE... I did. Thanks for politely pointing out there was a better option... ;)

I'm not worried about the price difference, though, as I don't buy gear without trying it on first...and then it's often an impulse buy. Website shopping doesn't fit the "impulse" category for me sometimes... ;)

Again, appreciate the approach you took to make sure I felt embarrassed by paying more than $80. Smooth.

Seriously, though, this is what happens when you shop impulsively and don't check around! Let this be a lesson to the rest of you! ;)

HRZ - this is me busting your chops... ;)

I just picked up one of these in Grey/Black for 60$ from a guy over on ST.N. Brand new, tags attached.

I rode 850 Mi home from AZ in it with my gerbing underneath and it performed very well.

I love the waterproof cargo pockets.

That said, I do have some minor gripes.

The cuffs simply DO NOT work under my gloves, so they go over the guantlet. I have concerns with rain in this configuration.

While straddling the bike, the jacket fits much better if I unzip the bottom of the 2-way zipper about 6 inches up, allowing it to 'skirt' a little.

The rain liner collar hits my neck at the *perfect* spot to induce a mild choking sensation at freeway speeds as the jacket gets pushed against my chest. Didn't find this out until I took off the e-liner- doesn't happen at less than 70ish MPH.

I'm still on the fence whether any or all of these are a deal breaker. It is a well made jacket and I like the way it looks. I keep wearing it, swapping between it and my old TM Intake, hoping time will tell. It's definately more comfortable than the TM.

Also, Grey/Black and Yellow/Black are the only 2 colors I've ever seen. While the yellow looks great for visibility from the front, the back is almost all black, so it's kinda moot.

Last edited by a moderator:
I noticed today the same issue Wanderer pointed out - this jackets fits much nicer when I open the bottom zipper UP a bit before mounting up.

Worked well in around town rain riding today, kept me dry.

I did note there is a possibility to build up heat inside the lined jacket, which could potentially lead to sweating, etc.

Didn't happen to me, though, so we'll see if this becomes an issue.

Liner made the jacket comfy enough in the mid 50's for me to wear only a t-shirt under the liner. The liner is not insulated.

Love the waterproof pockets, too. Very handy, and the cell phone pocket is a perfect fit for my iPhone.

Didn't notice the around the neck issue, though I'll say mine feels great - snug or loose depending on how I set up the velcro lap, and stops the wind dead.

I may wear this again on Sunday while out - we'll see.

I'm not worried about the price difference, though, as I don't buy gear without trying it on first...and then it's often an impulse buy. Website shopping doesn't fit the "impulse" category for me sometimes... ;)

Again, appreciate the approach you took to make sure I felt embarrassed by paying more than $80. Smooth.

Seriously, though, this is what happens when you shop impulsively and don't check around! Let this be a lesson to the rest of you! ;)

Aw well, screw it...That jacket is totally worth more than $80. It's a nice jacket. Patch does have the same gripes about the cuffs as you seem to have though. They are pissing him off cuz they are so big.

I guess he coulda posted that, but his computer is down because someone did not listen to me when I told him to get virus protection. He blew me off, and now, his computers got a cold. THAT's gonna cost way more than $80!

Aw well, screw it...That jacket is totally worth more than $80. It's a nice jacket. Patch does have the same gripes about the cuffs as you seem to have though. They are pissing him off cuz they are so big.

I guess he coulda posted that, but his computer is down because someone did not listen to me when I told him to get virus protection. He blew me off, and now, his computers got a cold. THAT's gonna cost way more than $80!
Maybe he should trade the computer for a jacket... :D

I also have this jacket and used it last year for my trip from Michigan to Arizona. It worked as well as a mesh jacket could in temps over 100 degrees. I was very impressed with the fit and comfort of it. As others have said, I usually unzip the bottom a few inches as well.

Josh

Try the Tourmaster Sonora 3/4 length. I just rode from Phoenix to Tampa, FL with it. Has warmth and waterproof liners. Its a great jacket when its hot because its mostly mesh

I picked one up in December when Motorcycle Superstore had it on a 1 day sale for $39.00 (they have something on sale daily in December for xmas). Fits well, warm enough in town w/liner down into the 30's, upper 40's w/out. Still getting use to it, was not wearing it on my recent pavement meeting, might well have helped.