Fitting Helmet into side cases

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My L Shoei Multitec fits in the sidecase fine but I wanted to use my sidecase to put other stuff in, so I did this. Townsend's bracket. I like it.

DSCN0009.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
My Icon Domain helmet fits, but not well. Its like stuffing 10pds of crap in a 5pd bag.

My XL Arai Quantum fits facing either way. With the Scala Q2 attached it only fits facing forward. My wife's Arai RX-7 easily fits even with the Q2.

My Shoei Z2 fits fine, but at SFO this year, I was talking to mbottoms about his new Shoei (don't remember the model)and he said it would not fit in his sidebag. Strange. I'm pretty sure he is not a huge buckethead either. Sorry Mark. I don't think you are a buckethead, really. :rolleyes:

GP

Well, I purchased an Arai Vector 2 in size XL and it does fit into the side cases.

On an unrelated note, I am not sure I get the Arai mystique. The Arai Vector 2 is a decent helmet, but at a premium price point, but compared to the Bell Star I find the Arai lacking in a few key areas, chin strap is too short, no strap cover to prevent chaffing, strap snap is too close to the helmet side making it difficult to snap into place, no chin curtain making the helmet pretty noisy, shield mechanism is clumsy, prone to fogging, eyeport is narrower and it doesn't vent anywhere near as well as the Star. Unfortunately, the Bell Star XL shares the same shell as the 2XL, and since the 2XL won't fit the side cases, it isn't an option.

So, for now I have the Arai, but I don't think my helmet shopping is quite over yet.

Thanks for all of the recommendations, I do appreciate the suggestions.

My Shoei X-11, X12, RF1000 and Multi tech (all size L) fit easily into the bags. My Qwest and RF 1100 fit, but damn tight.

My XL Bell Vortex fits, a little snug though.
That is good to know, the problem with the Star is the rear spoiler piece gets in the way when trying to fit the helmet, the Vortex definitely rear vents definitely do not protrude the way they do on the Star. I wonder whether the RSI will fit, it looks pretty similar to the Vortex.

My size Large Shark Evoline 2 will fit in both sides. It's a bit snug with a helmet cover, but still fits.

I leave my helmet out in the rain and the sun all the time--while I'm riding. So I don't see any problem leaving it out there when I'm not riding. OTOH, I don't want it to disappear, so I secure it. Helmet locks are fine, but since your question was about putting it into a sidecase, and therefore you ride with sidecases on, I suggest you put the buckle side of your helmet strap into the case and lock the case. Presto, locked on, no extra key, plenty of room for your other "stuff," nice and safe.

My Arai Astral-X Large fits but I have to carefully arrange it for the case to close easily. It seems that the visor cover plates make it a little wide to fit easily. I try not to do it often; I rather carry my chick magnet in with me.

I agree with the question about the Arai My$$tique ---- until I got one!

After reading these posts, I find that my Shoei RF-1000, w/Scala does fit facing a certain direction. Cool, Thanks forum people

FWFE

I suggest you put the buckle side of your helmet strap into the case and lock the case. Presto, locked on, no extra key, plenty of room for your other "stuff," nice and safe.
Now why in the hell didn't I think of that? So simple. :blink:

Thanks for the tip, Mike. :clapping:

I am not sure this is the right forum to post this in, but if not, I am sure a moderator will move it to the correct place.

I am looking for advice on what, if any, XL Helmets will fit into the stock side cases. My 2xl Bell Star doesn't even come close and I know my 2xl is a bit big for me so I am looking for a new helmet and I would really like it to fit into the side cases.

Thanks in advance for any and all advice.
Actually, that's not surprising. The Bell Star (and Vortex) helmets have notoriously wide shells and I've only been able to fit one in my topcase. I've sold quite a few of those helmets and looking at them straight on, I really wondered how these would fare aerodynamically.

All other helmets listed in the other posts will fit. I have an medium RF1000 and I can still cram two pairs of gloves in before closing the sidecase up.

Here is a thought: Take the bike with you, find a helmet you like, and before you buy it, see if it fits in the case? Now wasn't that easy? But try the helmet facing both directions. It can make a difference on some of the bigger sizes or brands of helmets especially if you have a headset attached for communications.

Here is a thought: Take the bike with you, find a helmet you like, and before you buy it, see if it fits in the case? Now wasn't that easy? But try the helmet facing both directions. It can make a difference on some of the bigger sizes or brands of helmets especially if you have a headset attached for communications.
The only problem with your suggestion is that here in Alaska, my options for helmets are pretty limited.

I ended up with an Arai Vector 2 by doing what you said, but I am not sure that I am very happy with the helmet. I was thinking of various Shoei's, but no dealer has them in stock, they will order them, but that doesn't help my problem. Many other helmet options are not even available by any means other than mail order, but again that doesn't solve my problem.

So given the slim pickings here, I thought I would ask people who have helmets in XL that fit the side cases and many users have given me recommendations on what will fit.