FJR - 1 Forest Rat - 0

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don't shoot deer or eat the venison ver often simply because I don't like the taste. I do 'harvest' the occasional pheasant or turkey for the table. Yummy.
You will normally not find much edible meat on a road kill deer.
If you don't like the taste of deer meat it may be because who ever is preparing it for you doesn't know how to get the "gamey" taste out.

I can tell you if you find the right person who marinates it properly you will like it.

Deer sausage is good also.

Marinate it over night in vinegar is one way, beer another etc...
Not shooting the 'randy-est-biggest-antlers' buck is very helpful too. Especially during rut/hunting season.

Big bucks look good on the wall, does and spikes are better on the table. Less gamey and all that.
True that.

Also have found for whatever reason if whomever prepares the meat make hamburger and sausage for you they are easier to make without the gamey taste than chops and such...

I have given deer meat to people that afterwards didn't even know it was deer meat.

I have also eatten it when prepared bad and wouldn't serve that to my worst enemy. :angry:

Act locally to cull the herd: one deer per family-freezer per year (spikes and heifers are best eating :rolleyes: )

Weapon/season of choice: bow, crossbow, rifle, muzzle-loaded gun :bowarrow:

BuckTractrW.jpg

Good show Omega, and good writeup too!

Umm, Toecutter.... You OK Bud?

The problem with natural predators is that deer and humans are approximately the same size.

Just remember to aim for the head, kids....don't want to spoil the meat, ya know.

Umm, Toecutter.... You OK Bud?
Yeah, I'm OK. Not as popular around here as those who get a thrill from killing, but OK. Having been to the brink twice now myself, I have a renewed affinity and respect for life. Not that I'm against game management or anything like that. Hell, I campaigned hard to defeat Prop 117 a few years ago, unsuccessfully. The result was that do-gooding whatevers in CA managed to get Mountain Lions status as a "specially protected species", which means that wildlife biologists could no longer manage their numbers through sport hunting. We probably have a deer shortage in this state, and malnourished, overpopulated lions are taking pets, children and female joggers. It's a tangled web we weave. I used to love to get outdoors and backpack into the wilderness to bowhunt for deer. I had to get a permit to enter, on foot only and couldn't piss within 150 yards of a water source. I get all the way in there (8 miles) to find a frickin' herd of sheep being grazed, trampling the flora, scaring off the native critters and leaving a swath of stench in their wake. Wilderness? WTF? Maybe I'm not OK after all.

Geez, you'd think Darwin would have kicked in by now and made Bambi smarter or extinct, given the statistics.
No, not really, it hasn't kicked in for all them stupid humans either. :alien: