FJR - 1, Forest Rat - ?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Glad to hear that you two are ok and the rat is dead...

I don't ride much at night because I'm concerned with the wildlife but I've sure seen my share of them during the day also. Whistles on my bike, whether they do any good or not. Hope they're not whispering "here Bambi Bambi" :unsure:

Last edited by a moderator:
Me and members of my family have totalled several vehicles hitting deer with whistles on them. I dont personally think they work at all. But thats just my 2 cents. I ride thu shasta nat"l forest at night once, Deer everywhere. Didint seem to mind the whistles on my bike at all.

Glad to hear your O.K. Ride safe everyone.

Hey Dave, Kay and I just got back from a week in the Kootenays and the Cascades, Very sorry to hear about your deer strike. Damn, so glad you and Sylvia are OK, thinking of you folks when we went from Kelowna to Coldstream and talked about next years CDN gathering. Take care, and give Sylvia a hug from both of us.

John and Kay

Oh deer, Dave - sorry to hear about your bad luck. Glad that you and Sylvia are OK.

Kasey

Thanks for the good thoughts Doc and Kasey. The FJR's status at the moment is "pending total loss". The dealer in Regina has been asked to tear into it far enough to give SGI a "guaranteed repair cost" figure, with the info that any costs over $8,600 Cdn will result in a write-off. The SGI adjuster got to $8,300 just based on what he could see without removing any panels, so I'm afraid she's toast if the shop is being asked to assume the risk of any unforseen damage (tweaked frame etc.), but we will hear definitely this week. Oh deer indeed...

I have a line on a couple of 2005's with low miles but will need to pull the trigger quickly as I will have to transfer farkles and we have to be ready to go in a very few weeks for the 3 Flags.

On a happier note, our move to BC is proceeding with a target move-in date of August 11th!

Take good care - we saw at minimum 1,000 deer and antelope on the 1,200 mile drive down to Pagosa Springs last week, including at least a dozen with suicidal tendencies. Seems to be a bumper crop year for dull forest rats (and "grass rats" as I started calling all those antelope in Wyoming).

Here is a link to some pics in my Webshots folder called Deer Slayer (TurboDave's idea!)

https://community.webshots.com/user/davedyk...vhost=community

Sadly it's worse than it looks - suspect I will hear this week that it's toast, so if there is a desire for major components PM me with what you need and what you would pay and I'll decide if it's worth buying the bike back from the insurance company...

Thanks for the good thoughts Doc and Kasey. The FJR's status at the moment is "pending total loss". The dealer in Regina has been asked to tear into it far enough to give SGI a "guaranteed repair cost" figure, with the info that any costs over $8,600 Cdn will result in a write-off. The SGI adjuster got to $8,300 just based on what he could see without removing any panels, so I'm afraid she's toast if the shop is being asked to assume the risk of any unforseen damage (tweaked frame etc.), but we will hear definitely this week. Oh deer indeed...
I have a line on a couple of 2005's with low miles but will need to pull the trigger quickly as I will have to transfer farkles and we have to be ready to go in a very few weeks for the 3 Flags.

On a happier note, our move to BC is proceeding with a target move-in date of August 11th!

Take good care - we saw at minimum 1,000 deer and antelope on the 1,200 mile drive down to Pagosa Springs last week, including at least a dozen with suicidal tendencies. Seems to be a bumper crop year for dull forest rats (and "grass rats" as I started calling all those antelope in Wyoming).
FWIW---- In my travels last week, I saw a 2005 in mint condition with 24k miles on it. Upgraded seat and windshield, sliders, Yamaha case on the tail. Wind , rain feet guards. $7,450.00 asking price------- other farkles..... Yamaha dealership in Byram, MS Jordan Owens 601-371-9050. The bike really is in sweet condition, and does not look like she has ever been dropped. sjyamaha.com ..Just thought I would mention it...............

A few years ago, the Colorado State Patrol did several well defined tests on the deer whistles. The results: there was no idication that the deer ever heard the deer whistles, and close calls and deer hits were the same with and without the whistles. They recommended that you don't waste your money and don't trust the whistles to keep deer away.

The Ohio State Patrol, The Georgia State Patrol and the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety tested deer whistles. They don't work!

https://www.thecherrycreeknews.com/content/view/1678/104/

https://www.coloradolaw-blog.com/2006/10/be...mbi_threat.html

https://adm.idaho.gov/insurance/risk/newsle...visor_v3-02.pdf

The University of Wisconsin Study says they don't work.

Articles in Road Management and Engineering say they don't work.

There is not one, independent study that shows they work. There are dozens that show they don't.

Motorcycle Consumer News reviewed studies and concluded that they don't work.

There is no research to show deer are startled by sound at any particular frequency or decibel level (DeNicola et al. 2000). One study showed that deer whistles did not alter deer behavior enough to prevent them from crossing highways (Romin and Dalton 1992).

"Deer whistles and ultrasonic devices will not help prevent car collisions with deer." Best Practices for Nuisance Wildlife Control in New York State.

Enough?

Don't trust anecdotal evidence like "Uncle Billy says they have saved his life many times." There is no way Uncle Billy could know one way or the other.

Ron

A few years ago, the Colorado State Patrol did several well defined tests on the deer whistles. The results: there was no idication that the deer ever heard the deer whistles, and close calls and deer hits were the same with and without the whistles. They recommended that you don't waste your money and don't trust the whistles to keep deer away.The Ohio State Patrol, The Georgia State Patrol and the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety tested deer whistles. They don't work!

There is not one, independent study that shows they work. There are dozens that show they don't.

There is no research to show deer are startled by sound at any particular frequency or decibel level (DeNicola et al. 2000). One study showed that deer whistles did not alter deer behavior enough to prevent them from crossing highways (Romin and Dalton 1992).

"Deer whistles and ultrasonic devices will not help prevent car collisions with deer." Best Practices for Nuisance Wildlife Control in New York State.

Enough?

Don't trust anecdotal evidence like "Uncle Billy says they have saved his life many times." There is no way Uncle Billy could know one way or the other.

Ron

This past Sunday we were shooting on a range at the 600 yard marker with a 30.06. We would shoot a few shots, then drive up to the targets with the truck. About 3 different times we had deer cross the range, so sound doesn't really scare 'em, even if they hear the whistles.

If they would work, I'd mount them backwards on the car to draw them in while hunting. :D

Ron

A few years ago, the Colorado State Patrol did several well defined tests on the deer whistles. The results: there was no idication that the deer ever heard the deer whistles, and close calls and deer hits were the same with and without the whistles. They recommended that you don't waste your money and don't trust the whistles to keep deer away.The Ohio State Patrol, The Georgia State Patrol and the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety tested deer whistles. They don't work!

Enough?

Ron
Not true I chamber a 308 round fire it and one deer will fall the rest will run away as fast as they can.

Sylvia and I centerpunched a nice sized whitetail a couple of hours ago at 75 mph (120kph). It literally exploded.
Not a mark on either of us (nor did I drop the bike) but from the amount of shredded plastic and bent metal I'm not thinking that our insurer will be repairing our beautiful (flawless, set up to perfection etc.) 2004 ABS. We have cleaned the copious excrement off our Cycle Port gear but I left the deer crap all down the right side of the bike so the adjuster is not confused about what took place.

Thank you MamYama for building this platform hell-for-strong. I rode it 60 miles home with all of the plastic below the headlights gone, the coolant overflow tank split wide open and I'm sure the rake and trail considerably steeper than factory spec, but it still runs like a champion and never warmed past 2 bars!

We WILL see all our FJR friends in Golden even if we have to attend NAFO in a Duramax. If I can't ride, I will golf - anybody else interested?

Hug the ones you love tonight - life is short and life is good, my glass is way more than half full...
Glad to hear you both came through ok. Now, I have to know did you see the deer in time to react at all or was it just WHAM!? If you had time, how did you react? I too recently had an encounter with bambie in my jeep wrangler only bambie won. I saw her and thought I had time to react only I didnt count on a second deer stepping out of the corn. I paniced and hit the breaks and all hell broke loose. Luckily no real damage to my jeep. Just rolled three tires off the bead. And had to clean my seat covers.

I started to swerve instinctively to my left then instantly realized I couldn't miss her so I straightened up and centerpunched her just behind her rib cage. I did not touch either brake and was amazed that the bike just carried on right through her and that I didn't lose control.

The only other close friend of mine to hit a deer at speed did so on his R90S BMW years ago in BC. When he came to a stop his front tire had rolled almost completely off the cast wheel which had a huge "wow" in it (no longer remotely round). To my amazement, the Feej was still rideable and while the wheel isn't perfectly round, it isn't far off.

The title can now be changed to FJR - 1, Forest Rat - 1. SGI is writing it off. The guaranteed repair estimate was $1,500 more than their w/o threshold. I will be stripping some farkles this weekend, and depending on what I buy may be posting some good used pieces soon.

I started to swerve instinctively to my left then instantly realized I couldn't miss her so I straightened up and centerpunched her just behind her rib cage. I did not touch either brake and was amazed that the bike just carried on right through her and that I didn't lose control.
Grusome, to say, but perfect place to hit one. Of course, that's maximum messiness, but the weakest part of the animal... short of not hitting it at all, of course.

The only other close friend of mine to hit a deer at speed did so on his R90S BMW years ago in BC. When he came to a stop his front tire had rolled almost completely off the cast wheel which had a huge "wow" in it (no longer remotely round). To my amazement, the Feej was still rideable and while the wheel isn't perfectly round, it isn't far off.
BMW wheels are known to be soft- intentionally. They want the wheel to give if you hit a big bump. I guess a deer qualifies.
Many years ago a friend hit a deer with his GSXR-1100. He caught the animal the same place you did- between the ribs and hips- and had a similar result. Little piles of deer and plastic all over the place, rode it out. Bent the forks and radiator, but finished the trip, then the insurance totalled the bike.

FWIW, if you buy the bike back, I'd be interested in the glove box and instrument cluster... Dunno what the latter is worth, though. My gauges faces are bubbling away from the backing (inflate in the sunlight). Yamaha said that's a "cosmetic" issue, thus not covered by YES. :angry: