FJR - 1, Forest Rat - ?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Good save. And thanks for taking out another fookin' forest rat. BTDT, it's weird how you can be pissed off (about your bike) and elated (about surviving/not going down) at the same time. Good luck with the insurance. Your wife is golden.

Sorry for your loss....but nice job riding through the forrest rat! Just wondering - DEER WHISTLE???

See you at NAFO.

FastJoy,

What a story with a remarkable ending! Glad you are both fine. It was probably better you did not see the deer for the outcome could have been different.

Good thing your wife is Very Understanding about the whole thing....miracle number 2.

All the best with your new replacement!

Glad all the important parts are still fine.

Great skill/luck in keeping it upright and mighty lucky you could drive home.

Haven't met your wife but with that attitude I really like her.

A few nights ago I was riding next to several farms and the fields were loaded with baby deer. I knew the parents had to be around somewhere. I slowed way down. Quoted from another rider about deer. "They are dumber than dirt - but a lot faster!"

Glad you're ok.

Glad to hear you and the wife are safe. Great job on keeping it upright. I just installed deer whistles on my bike for the trip to NAFO, but isn't that like calling out to them?

Last edited by a moderator:
I just installed deer whistles on my bike for the trip to NAFO, but isn't that like calling out to them?
I've got 'em on mine too. I just keep asking...waiting to hear someone say they hit a deer with whistles on. Haven't heard a "yes" yet.

Looks like we may be riding to NAFO (at least part of the way) with you and Borec. We should be deer-proof with the twin whistle attack....LOL.

I just installed deer whistles on my bike for the trip to NAFO, but isn't that like calling out to them?
I've got 'em on mine too. I just keep asking...waiting to hear someone say they hit a deer with whistles on. Haven't heard a "yes" yet.

Looks like we may be riding to NAFO (at least part of the way) with you and Borec. We should be deer-proof with the twin whistle attack....LOL.
A few years ago a friend was riding on the Oregon coast WITH deer whistles on his bike and nailed Bambi dead center. He was on a bagger Harley and the deer was in two pieces when it was over. Didn't go down but we said he probably put the whistles on backwards and caused the problem.

"Yes" - now you have.

I've had twin whistles mounted on the sides of the front fender since new. They may have been clogged up with insects or maybe all of the naysayers are right and they don't make any difference. All I know is that I see animals heads swivel towards the bike (and not towards other bikes without whistles). Don't know if that deals with the dumber than dirt problem but I do know that movement of the animal's head is often the first clue I get of the presence of well-camoflaged animals.

The whistles and the rest of the front fender are imbedded in bambi so I guess I will need to buy some new ones...

Last edited by a moderator:
Like the rest, so happy and thankful for you and the incredible Mrs. that you are walking, talking and looking forward to your next ride. Wowser........

Way to go Dad!! That's what I call getting your deer's worth!! Good thing you sawed it in half or you guys surely would have hit the deck! Sure hope the insurance company will rebuild the bike for you. Glad you and Mom are okay!!

Wow! Sure glad you both are ok and still coming to NAFO. Hopefully a rebuild is in your future!

Deer whistles do nothing. Deer aren't dogs; they hear in the same frequency range as people. These devices have been tested, time and again, and the only thing they do, is make money for the people who sell them.

However... My son uses them. If they make you feel better, go for 'em.

Deer whistles do nothing. Deer aren't dogs; they hear in the same frequency range as people. These devices have been tested, time and again, and the only thing they do, is make money for the people who sell them.
However... My son uses them. If they make you feel better, go for 'em.
So I guess ya walked up to the deer and said do you hear the whistles. I have see claims both ways and as far as my thinking goes 6 bucks is not much money to spend just in case they do work

Dam man.....

You wife sounds top drawer. I got off last november with wife (my fault) and the first thing she said say am I going to buy her new gear since i messed hers up (sliding)

Yes, a true biker wife has no equal

I guess, since whistles are suspect, the only thing a motorider can do is try to lower the odds of having an unexpected conference with a piece of venison. I live in a heavily forested area and it's just scary as hell, especially at night, riding out where there is any kind of cover for the little bastards.

Even though there are collisions during daylight, as what happened here, most deer are down during the daytime. That said, I've been extremely lucky in that I have thousands of nighttime miles logged and have yet to have even a close encounter with a deer. I just hope it isn't one of those inevitable deals, mathematically speaking.

At any rate, I'm happy that you and the better half are in good shape. Reading these stories always gives me pause to think a little bit about the dangers out there on the highways an byways.

Glad you're okay and an awesome job of keeping the FJR upright.

Let me know how the insurance and "NEW" bike works out for you.

PS. The seat is exactly how you described and you're correct about the 2up issues. For some reason on braking the Corbin likes to slide my wife into my back. I don't ride 2up very often, but it might cause me to look into a Russell Group Buy this winter.

Dave

Latest posts