FJR 1300 2016 - Throttle Linkage Issue

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ctjd

Reaction score
I've been given a 2016 (60th Anniversary edition, very pretty) FJR1300 with a running Issue after having a short action throttle and cables fitted, by the owner. When I got there to pick it up, it would start, warm up and idle perfectly. However, as soon as you tried to throttle up, it would run on 2 cylinders and die.

I must state, this is the first FJR I've ever worked on and my comments are only based other bikes I've worked on.

The bike has all of 2000 miles on the clock and the owner told me the bike ran fine, before he changed the throttle the cables. He insists all he has done is change the cables and throttle grip and disturbed nothing else... So my immediate thought is a poor or incorrect installation of the cables.

I take the tank off and inspect the linkage from the cables to the throttle bodies and immediately see something a miss. The left throttle body assembly moves as you'd expect, but the right side doesn't follow. On an older FZR1000 Exup I have here for example, the second 2 carbs follow the first carbs via a spring that pushes and follows the second two carbs, against the screw shown. At the moment, I'm assuming the same should happen here? I believe there should be a spring in the gap arrowed.

What's happening is the second throttle body linkage stays put when opening the throttle and the second throttle body assembly doesn't follow, until its pushed 10-15 degrees later. The spring on that side is biased the opposite way to what I would have expected, and keeps those throttle bodies closed. So my first question, is this right?

Any input would be appreciated. My first port of call is to much sure it's assembled correctly before going any further. I'm struggling to find a workshop manual online, without paying for one. If anyone point me in the right direction for one, i'd be very greatful?

Attachments

• IMG_0383.jpg
    IMG_0383.jpg
    216.8 KB · Views: 27
Any idea why he changed the throttle cables? Sounds like he messed up the installation. I have an older Gen II bike so I can't help with the throttle body configuration.

I'm struggling to find a workshop manual online, without paying for one. If anyone point me in the right direction for one, i'd be very greatful?
Any "on-line" manual you might find is not a legal version and while you might find one, this is something that is not condoned by the owners of this site. Any links or listings will be removed by moderators.

At least you can see the problem right in front of you. I'm sure you'll find out what the PO did wrong here. Why anyone would want to mess with throttle cables on a new bike is beyond me :unsure:

Agreed, messing with the throttle cables on a perfectly functioning bike is not what I'd do, but this gent wanted a quick action throttle on his bike. Each to their own. I'm just trying to make it work for him. My next stop is contacting a Yam dealer and asking one of their techs. If someone could tell me whether the second throttle body assembly should push open or spring close,, that would be 90% of the battle.

I'm having trouble identifying exactly where your photo is showing (wood and trees!).

I doubt the workshop manual will show the detail you want, the nearest I've seen to your 2016 is for a 2013, it shows the throttle body assembly as little more than a line drawing, as it does in the 2006 one.

I don't know if this helps, but this is a screen grab taken from a parts fiche (https://www.motorcyclespareparts.eu/en/yamaha-parts/2016-fjr1300a-motorcycles/intake-2).

(Click on image for larger view)

I'm having trouble identifying exactly where your photo is showing (wood and trees!).

I doubt the workshop manual will show the detail you want, the nearest I've seen to your 2016 is for a 2013, it shows the throttle body assembly as little more than a line drawing, as it does in the 2006 one.

I don't know if this helps, but this is a screen grab taken from a parts fiche (https://www.motorcyclespareparts.eu/en/yamaha-parts/2016-fjr1300a-motorcycles/intake-2).

(Click on image for larger view)
Thanks for that, I found the very same drawing elsewhere. Like you say, the level of detail for what I'm after isn't quite there. I've a list of Yam dealers to contact tomorrow. Hopefully one of their techs will be able to help. I will post my findings so that one day it'll help others. However, thanks for the effort, it's much appreciated.

I'm having a bit of a problem understanding why he'd install a "quick action" throttle on an FJR later than a 2013 model. The S, or Sport, mode is essentially a quick throttle anyway. If it were mine I'd just put it back stock and start from there.

Though I, too, can't imagine why you'd want to, unless you had restricted wrist movement.
I agree. If all they did was to change the cam on the throttle end at the grip, there would have been no reason to mess with throttle bodies at all. Might have to do a side-by-side comparison with another bike to see how it SHOULD have been done. In any case, I would recommend returning it to stock configuration. I wonder what else they messed up with their tinkering.

The picture shows what might be a t-body sync screw is missing. These are set at the factory and NOT to be touched for any reason. Sync on FJRs is done with air bleed screws. The ugly truth to correct this perfectly may require the whole t-body assy removal. Man i feel your pain of false info from seller. Whom ever did the cable change, him or shop were clueless