FJR Age Limit

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I may be a little late to the party, but has anyone else had dealers that won't work on a bike that is over 10 years old? 15 years old? My old Vmax is a 1995 and my dealer said they won't touch it now. I have a 2012 FJR that is 10 years old now and that is their limit. They will do minor service such as oil and filter changes and tire changes. But anything engine related, throttle bodies, valve check/adjustment, transmission is not something they will do anymore. Some kind of liability issue. I'm hearing other dealers are doing the same thing. Some with different age limits on the bikes. WTH?

GP
Same with the Yamaha dealer in Columbia, SC. The first time I went there, I wanted brake pads. I saw a sign saying they did not service motorcycles over 10 years old. I left and ordered brake pads online. I wish that dealership success, but I will not be back for any reason.

I may be a little late to the party, but has anyone else had dealers that won't work on a bike that is over 10 years old? 15 years old? My old Vmax is a 1995 and my dealer said they won't touch it now. I have a 2012 FJR that is 10 years old now and that is their limit. They will do minor service such as oil and filter changes and tire changes. But anything engine related, throttle bodies, valve check/adjustment, transmission is not something they will do anymore. Some kind of liability issue. I'm hearing other dealers are doing the same thing. Some with different age limits on the bikes. WTH?

GP
Hey, just saw you were in Mesquite. Have you tried Freedom Powersports in Hurst or Lewisville or maybe Lone Star Yamaha in Irving?

I agree. I would guess the engine hasn't changed to the point where servicing the valves would be different.

GP

Hey, just saw you were in Mesquite. Have you tried Freedom Powersports in Hurst or Lewisville or maybe Lone Star Yamaha in Irving?
Not yet, but I think they have all adopted the 10 year rule. I'm going to try and go by the Freedom powersports in Dallas this weekend and talk to them. A friend told me they just cleaned out the service department. New manager and techs.

I don’t feel bad now. Looks like an everywhere thing. Took my 05 FJR to the dealer here in Eau Claire to have the forks rebuilt when they started gushing oil. Asked them to replace the bushing too, was told they probably didn’t need it. I said since your people are going to have the forks torn apart why not put new bushings in, it’s your money they said. When I went to pick up the bike the mechanic said it was good call ordering all the bushings since the oritonal ones were shot. That was in 2017 and a rush job so I could ride it the races at Road America.
My 1984 Gpz 750 I bought new in Germany I’ve given up on. My 1989 Ninja 750R with 7K original miles keeps blowing the main fuse after a second or two of turning on the ignition. I’m not a wireologist so I’m a bit lost there. Maybe a mouse chewed a wire or something but nobody will even look at as it’s to old, even they guy that fixes old bikes. Might be he was a Honda guy a isn’t comfortable doing a Kawasaki.
My 2006 KLR650 no major issues I can’t wrench on myself. Mama’s 2011 V-storm 650 only had the cycle shop in Eau Claire replace all the brake lines and master since I wasn’t sure about dealing with the ABS system. It does make a person dive in and do the job themselves. That I believe leads to a better understanding of the bikes.
Wish you were closer, I would gladly help out. Try unplugging most everything on the harness after the main harness and see if it still blows it. I would guess it's something in the ignition/ coil/starting or Charging side. Possibly the rectifier.

I even adjusted the valves on my Vmax, but you don't have to pull the cams off for adjustment. What a concept. Don't know why they didn't use the same design for the valves on the FJR. I'm a little leary of pulling cams off.
Inertia. Shim-under-bucket design is lighter than shim-over-bucket design. Less prone to valve float at high rpm, all else being equal.

With my FJR, lack of parts or (my) old age will determine when it is finished.
(Not for the lack of a dealer willing to service it.)

Last edited:
Inertia. Shim-under-bucket design is lighter than shim-over-bucket design. Less prone to valve float at high rpm, all else being equal.
Never had the Vmax valve float at high rpm. And trust me, I've had it up to high rpm's a lot. Not sure its a better design, but you probably know more about it than I do.

GP
Yikes...crazy world keeps trying to make us spend all our assets...if it ain't broke, don't fix rule must be dead...
Guess I'll by a second same year FJR for parts...LOL

My 2005 Road Glide is going in for a complete overhaul at 109,000 miles. The local Harley dealer says shop policy is nothing older than an ‘06 Harley, but because I bought it there and it‘s very clean, they will take care of me.

Harley still makes all of the parts required such as swing arm bearings, motor mounts, etc., and I’m having a 3rd party do the engines mods as well. Not really interested in the new stuff because it is VERY hard to justify the stupid (ADM) pricing that is being stuck on their bikes. Love my FJR and the BMW, but sometimes riding the Harley just hits that sweet spot and it is nice to find shops that will keep the old rides…rideable.

I have a 2005 and to me and it is still new. I have been asked why I don't get a newer one and after setting the bike up with a custom seat, bar risers, and a bunch of other farkels, the bike is how I like it. A couple of years ago I have it serviced and my hope is that it will continue to be fine for me as long I am riding. My age is 71.

I have a 2005 and to me and it is still new. I have been asked why I don't get a newer one and after setting the bike up with a custom seat, bar risers, and a bunch of other farkels, the bike is how I like it. A couple of years ago I have it serviced and my hope is that it will continue to be fine for me as long I am riding. My age is 71.
it will for sure!

Never had the Vmax valve float at high rpm. And trust me, I've had it up to high rpm's a lot. Not sure its a better design, but you probably know more about it than I do.
To overcome the inertia, they use stiffer springs, and/or reduce lift, and/or reduce duration. It's a complex dance to wring out every last possible bit of HP.