FJR article in Motorcycle Sport and Leisure

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pronomian

Reaction score
Nice write up in that mag, though it was an 05 it virtually convinced me to buy the 06 fjr. I was looking at a full tourer (Goldwing) but the price I can get for the FJR $11995 for the A before tax, tag and license compared to the way honda has priced me out of the the market (could afford the hefty tag but I don't want gps and heated seats, the stereo would be nice though). I especially liked the side article of the lady who commented on the passenger side of the equation. She preferred the FJR, she liked the Honda ST also but the FJR won out because of the power and slightly better comfort.

I am wondering how much it would be to get the bike re painted dark red.

Mike

I am wondering how much it would be to get the bike re painted dark red
-probably no charge if you wait to buy an '07 :lol:

FJR vs Wing? Apples & oranges....the FJR is no Wing, and vice-versa. I am surprised to see a female passenger preferring any sport-tourer over a Wing, though; she must be one of the few.

She must have been far more adventureous than my wife: if it isn't a Gold Wing with its built in rocking chair...she won't ride. Never did on my '03 FJR or my ST1300, so I sure don't expect any company when my '06 A gets here...her loss! DFO :D

Ditto for my wife on the passenger's seat. She likes my ST ok but then she found a Goldwing with a heated seat....there goes the ST....I am gonna be driving miss dayspa...! :)

Ditto- My SO hates the seat on the FJR. Not wide enough. Only a couch (goldwing seat) will work for her. :p

I know I'm a noob, but are we getting different reviews mixed up? The November Cycle World compared eight (8) GT's and rated the FJR #1. A sidebar used Elaine Anderson to evaluate all of the bikes from the passenger seat. She rated the FJR #1, slightly preferring it to the ST for it's more "lively" character. The Wing is not mentioned in the article or sidebar. Ms. Anderson also gave some useful pointers to us guys on how to take better care of our lady passengers.

I thought it was interesting to see that the lively character of the FJR comes across to the passenger as well as the rider.

I haven't seen the Motorcycle Sport and Leisure article (never heard of it.)

Yes, Ms Anderson was not comparing the FJR with the Gold Wing. Just with the other bikes in the test. I really loved the comment she made about riding as a passenger. She said, "Remember, stark raving terror is not and aphrodisiac." Of course a few women would disagree with her but I know it is true for my wife.

I am wondering how much it would be to get the bike re painted dark red
-probably no charge if you wait to buy an '07 :lol:

FJR vs Wing? Apples & oranges....the FJR is no Wing, and vice-versa. I am surprised to see a female passenger preferring any sport-tourer over a Wing, though; she must be one of the few.
She's never tried the fjr, he hated the LT, she loves my hoss. I want a quieter bike, but still have power. I would like to go long at times and still have the comfort. She never rode on the GoldWing either but the looks of the pass. seat vs the driver's looks too high, the fjr pass. seat almost looks like the same ratio as the hoss.

Mike

I know I'm a noob, but are we getting different reviews mixed up? The November Cycle World compared eight (8) GT's and rated the FJR #1. A sidebar used Elaine Anderson to evaluate all of the bikes from the passenger seat. She rated the FJR #1, slightly preferring it to the ST for it's more "lively" character. The Wing is not mentioned in the article or sidebar. Ms. Anderson also gave some useful pointers to us guys on how to take better care of our lady passengers.
I thought it was interesting to see that the lively character of the FJR comes across to the passenger as well as the rider.

I haven't seen the Motorcycle Sport and Leisure article (never heard of it.)
You are correct it was Anderson in Cycle World. She liked the way the driver blocked the wind to make it more comfortable for her and she liked the "zippiness" of the fjr.

Motorcyle Sport and Leisure is a brit mag, read it at barnes and noble. The one guy was on the Honda ST and when it was his turn to ride the fjr he didn't want to, at first he didn't like it. After 50 miles it grew on him and after the day he didn't want to give it up to test the other bike. He had to get back on the ST and said it bored him, when they got to some nices twisties he wasn't as bored but kept thinking of the fjr. All three really liked the fjr. They tested the bmw RT, and honda ST also.

My wife likes to ride on the cruiser with a chevy small block, does not complain when I open the secondaries, just grabs an handful of jacket and holds on. I think she'll like the FJR.

Mike

She's never tried the fjr, he hated the LT, she loves my hoss. I want a quieter bike, but still have power. I would like to go long at times and still have the comfort. She never rode on the GoldWing either but the looks of the pass. seat vs the driver's looks too high, the fjr pass. seat almost looks like the same ratio as the hoss.
Hmm..Hoss owner, wants tons of power, good passenger ergos, not too loud. You should (seriously) check out the Triumph Rocket III; I checked one out myself about a month ago; fine machine. Too big for my taste, but nothing compared to your Hoss. AND it has 50% more torque than a Feej, has been getting really good reviews.

Hmm..Hoss owner, wants tons of power, good passenger ergos, not too loud. You should (seriously) check out the Triumph Rocket III; I checked one out myself about a month ago; fine machine. Too big for my taste, but nothing compared to your Hoss. AND it has 50% more torque than a Feej, has been getting really good reviews.
People who have had one like them, but I want more of a "sporty" bike, not a "toned down" version of a hoss. I like the looks of the fjr (look better in dark blood red though) and the idea of a 145 hp powerplant on a 600lb frame.

Mike

So, you ride it for the first season, then come winter, 1st on your list is dissasemble the plastic and send it to the paint shop. Hmmmm, red with ghost flames...I likey lots!

Last edited by a moderator:
On the subject of MotoMags, I find alot of good UK mags at Barnes&Nobles' and they're nice enough to let ya read em without purchase, they're rather pricey too!

Examples are BIKE, TWO, FASTBIKE, MOTORCYCLE CLASSICS and others. Sometimes ya have to quietly free them from plastic cuz they show a little T&A from the tarts, "bloody good show " I say, and then slip them back in....to the plastic that is...Good Reading and usually a good cup of Joe to boot. Enjoy ! :D

Bobby

My bride loves the backseat on the Feejer......of course what she had to compare it to was the seat on my Warrior. That she would even climb on board the Warrior was amazing to me.

Went to a dealer show earlier this year to check out many new bikes on display

and saw the Triple for the first time. Even with very low dealer driven miles it was

already starting to seep oil from the lower case halves. May be an isolated instance

but it looks like Triumph still has a little work to do to keep the ratings alive.

Sorry about getting a little off topic.

Did I mention that I love the FJR? :dribble:

Last edited by a moderator:
Mrs. Gunslinger doesn't like the FJR seat either. So, she ordered an 06 Wing with all the ementities befitting "Her Highness" for me to drive her around on. Bike has been shipped and should be here in a week or two. <_<

The Gunslinger

I'de like a report from you when you have ridden the Wing the get on the FJR and ride it and tell what you think of the difference? :haha:

rogerfjrfaster :D

Mrs. Gunslinger doesn't like the FJR seat either. So, she ordered an 06 Wing with all the ementities befitting "Her Highness" for me to drive her around on. Bike has been shipped and should be here in a week or two. <_<
Heck, sounds like a sweet deal, as long as she's buyin'. Two up on the wing, single on the FJR. We'll understand when you bring the wing to regional events.

I have an 03 FJR, an 04 Electra Glide, and an 02 Goldwing with DFT trike kit. My wife will ride with me on the trike, and she used to ride the Wing when it was a 2 wheeler. She has no love for being on the FJR, or even on The Elctra Glide. I think the only other bike she would passemger on (without complaint) would be a BMW LT.