FJR Assistance Directory Address

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sorry for the recent delays in getting the list out. (Last one was Feb). I do this in my spare time of which I seem to have absolutely none lately.

Anybody willing to take it over?
No Way, Kemo Sabe! You are doing a great job Steve, keep it up! We could have HotRodZilla do it, if we wanted Sudbury spelled Susieberries!

kemosabe.jpg
No tricking way I could take over that list. I don't have near the organization skills for that. The fact that Bungie volunteered to take it over says volumes for his dedication. Even if he is Canadian.

I will say that receiving the list once every two months would prolly be plenty...
Steve, AJ has a brilliant idea! Make life easier on yourself, only publish the Assistance List once every two months. It would still be helpful and lighten up your load also!
He'd be better off not using GPS coordinates :p

how does it work.... where do you find the contact folks... I am eating on the trip to 3 of the covered states in2 days.... ? Thanks

how does it work.... where do you find the contact folks... I am eating on the trip to 3 of the covered states in2 days.... ? Thanks
Go back and read the first post in this thread, then email your request. Don't forget to sign up. If you want to use it, you should be willing to offer someone else a hand if needed.

I've received a number of requests for changes or additions to the format of the assistance list, mostly, ppl wanting it in Excel format so they can clip out the areas they'll be riding in.

In a word, No. :D

The current pdf format is readable across many different computers and even devices. The list doesn't take up that much space and you can choose to print only portions of the list from your pdf viewer.

The reason the answer is a flat out no is because of the time I spend generating the list. Adding or changing formats means that many more requests for support for the list and I'm just not willing to have the list take up any more of my time. It's current format works for everybody, it's not ideal, but that's the trade off.

I almost feel like typing out the steps I have to go through each time I generate the list. It's a SERIOUS pain in the ass. I can automate it, but I don't have the time for that either :D

With NAFO coming up in a few weeks, I'll get a fresh list out to everybody by the end of the week.

Ride safe!

Hombre, I am just glad that you are still doing this list. Do it anyway that makes it the easiest for you, I already have the latest copy in "mein Gisele's" tankbag ready for the ride to Frostbackland!

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for all that you do, Steve!

Anyone who needs an alternate format should convert their own with the original supplied by you. Like Daddy Don, I just print the whole damned thing and toss it in ziplock baggy under the seat. Voila

It is an awesome resource, and I appreciate all the time you lose to this.

Anyone who needs an alternate format should convert their own with the original supplied by you. Like Daddy Don, I just print the whole damned thing and toss it in ziplock baggy under the seat. Voila

+1, Gunny; yeah Steve, you could use all of that lost time to learn how to read a fecking map!

Definitely appreciate the device and the work that goes in to the list. Emailing my info to be added...

I agree with barbie.

You volunteered for this...at least for a while...and it's a pain in the ass as it is. Feck them other fookers who want you to deliver it to their doorstep on a silver spoon.

my info sent for the list,

I am in Bozeman Montana, have a garage with many tools, and the 09 service manual. also internet of course.

I am also equally distant from the Yamaha dealer here ( <_< ) and the local shop (Bike Shack) that pretty much rocks.

The Assistance List. It's not dead, I just haven't sent out an update in a while. Blame work, no time and just general piss-on-it-attitudeness.

I've asked if somebody wanted to take it in on with no takers. I don't want to let it die, but I just don't have time.

So, what to do?

Well it being Christmas and me saying piss on that too, I had a couple of days off work with not much to do. I'm a programmer. I'll automate it! ya, that's the ticket. I'll give it big boobs too! I've spent the last couple of days banging it together <include sounds of chainsaws and hammers here>. It's done and working, but not anywhere near presentable yet. Give it a couple of weeks.

However, the existing database, which migrated from an Excel sheet from Jude way back in the day was hardly 'right' in database terms. Oh, it worked, but just. Obviously, if I'm going to show off my handiwork, I'd have to fix that first. Easy peasy. The problem now being the data itself. I could spend many hours importing and massaging the data and theirs that piss-on-it attitude I've had lately coming out again. Their is another problem, despite me asking a while back for everybody to send an email to verify they're still breathing and the trimming out everybody who didn't (culling out the deadwood), I still get LOTS of bounce backs every time I do a manual run.

I'm going to start the list fresh. Ya, you heard me right. Your going to have to re-register for the assistance list soon. Don't worry, it'll be a breeze and you'll get notification when it's time. We get good, formatted data, and the list will be FAR more capable. Imagine really needing help and the closest people to you moved away 2 years ago!

"So, Steve, what's the deal"

Glad you asked.

Upmost of my concerns over automating it is security. I don't want your stuff getting out there in the wild. To login into the site, you will supply your current email address, I will send a link to your verified email address that you click to enter the site. The link will be valid for 24 hours. After which, you'll have to do the email hokey-pokey again. No cookies on your machine and I don't have to write an authentication module. Win win! :D

Oh, did I mention the site can be viewed on anything? Your desktop/laptop/iPhone/Android/Tablet? It'll work for all of them. On a trip and forgot to pack the list or upload it to your GPS? If you can surf you can get help. Right their on your cell phone on the side of the road!

You can log in and choose to retrieve the entire list/POI's, or only certain provinces or states to keep the list nice and short for printing.

You can create many locations. Suprisingly, their is a number of guys on the list who spend time at different places <cough>BeemerDons<cough>. You can have seperate contact numbers for each of them. But what happens when you call one location and the person is away in Mehico for 3 months and theirs no answer? Well with the existing list, tough-titties. The new list lets you set start and end dates for your locations, or if it's just one, leave it the dates empty and your 'always' available.

One of the big problems with automating the list was looking up longitude/latitudes (Geocodes) from an address, or more specifically a city/state. Before, I had to do it manually and it took lots of time. Well Google/Bing/Yahoo all offered these services in the past for free. Not anymore. I found a HUGE player in the GIS game that will do it for a very nominal cost. But our volume will be so low that I can't imagine breaking through the free queries threshold in 475 years. So net cost = 0. Even cooler, it opens up the oppourtunity for real time routing and all sorts of cool ass shit (just like routing on Google Maps). But at this point, I just want it to Geocode.

You can define as many emails and telephone numbers as you desire and they'll be in a consistent format which will look much better on the GPS/List.

It's kitties-titties time. Bust out the big boobs.

I've added a new feature to the Assistance List. You know your spot tracker? You know how you can define only a handful of contacts when you press the help button? Feck that mess, when I want help I want EVERYBODY to know. You will be able to point your spot tracker at the assistance list and define ANY NUMBER of people to contact. Hell, I could even have the assistance list contact the people closest to you even if their NOT in your Spot Tracker contacts.

Oh ya, I've also written it to handle different assistance lists. Say you also have a ST Owners Forum assistance list, offload that to this app. No problem, no cross overs. they're all seperate and distinct.

Boobs. Big perky ones.

Stay tuned.

WOW.

Merry fooking Christmas!

THANKS Bungie...next beer in SE Ohio at the brewery is on ME. The fact that you have no life is paying off in spades for me...thanks buddy!

Just kidding about the "no life" part

Dayum dood...That sounds cool. It is very good of you to not only keep the list breathing, but add a supercharger to it. Nice work!!