FJR Common Torque Values and Wrench Sizes

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AdamK

Reaction score
The Honda ST guys have a garage document like this so I thought I'd put one together for the FJR. You guys want to proof this for me and maybe make some suggestions for other things to add? TIA

2016-FJR-Common-Torque-Values-and-Wrench-Sizes.jpg

Attachments

• 2016 FJR Common Torque Values and Wrench Sizes.jpg
    2016 FJR Common Torque Values and Wrench Sizes.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 54
Last edited:
AdamK, Nice graphic! I think you got the most commonly worked on items without getting too cluttered. One that might be added but could cause some controversy is the steering head bearing.

I did notice that there are some differences in Gen 1,2,3 and ES, A models. Slight but different. Making a different graphic for each one might be a pain. Maybe noting the Model and Gen somewhere so there's no confusion.

One value that I think everyone agree's on as being wrong in the FSM is the Oil Drain Plug, 31 ft-lbs being too much. 18-22 ft-lbs was a suggested value. Some use 17 ft-lbs same as the Final Drive plug values.

Did they actually change the size of the Final Drive plugs to 18mm? That would be be inconvenient.

Hopefully more feedback will follow. Blue is the Best Color IMHO!
punk.gif

Thanks kmanflyer! I was trying to figure out the final drive sizes last night and had a hard time getting to the back of the bike without moving it. I put an 18mm on the bolts and do remember it feeling a bit loose. You're probably right, so I've changed the graphic to 17mm. I thought about the steering head bearing torque too. I'll add the stock ball bearing value and a note that one should "investigate" before torquing roller bearings to the stock value.

I've also added "Model years 2016+' under the title to let people know this doesn't apply to all model years. I would be quite easy to generate a version for other model years if there is interest.

Last edited by a moderator:
I thought about the steering head bearing torque too. I'll add the stock ball bearing value and a note that one should "investigate" before torquing roller bearings to the stock value.
Looks good except: 36mm Steering Stem Nut at 85 ft-lbs is universal for all models and types of bearing,as well as 6mm allen Upper Bracket Pinch Bolt at 22 ft-lbs

The Steering Head Bearing Adjuster Nut (need special spanner or socket): Initial Setting 37 ft-lbs, Final Setting 13 ft-lbs {Stock Ball Bearing Set}. Tapered Bearings have varied opinion's.

That's a lot to stuff in that spot. Maybe just 36mm Steering Stem Nut at 85 ft-lbs would be enough? After a few tweaks it'll be all good!
smile.png

very nicely done. i will stick to my year specific shop manual with all the folded pages.

very nicely done. i will stick to my year specific shop manual.
Thank you! I have a 2016 shop manual too. I've photo copied the pages that have the stuff I use the most like the info on this graphic for quick reference. The general idea is to display this on the wall rather than pull out the manual or those pages. Plus I really like the picture of my bike.
punk.gif

Who is sobukawa_seihei? It says that he is the owner of the photo, taken on 10/2/2015.

• Tags: MC-USA-2016,Roadsports, MC USA 2016

Holy moly, look up the camera, lens, and camera back the guy used. It costs more than our bikes!!

• Sinar CMV/ Sinarback eVolution 75H

The steering stem nut is 85 ft-lb irrespective of the type of bearings. The "opinions vary" is for the bearing torque, not the stem nut.

I am a fan of using proper torque values for critical components but not so much for the majority of stuff. Where it is most needed is for locations where too loose could be dangerous or too tight could damage something.

You should add the pinch bolt for the rear axle - easy to overdo that one.

Also, the pinch bolts for the forks - too tight can collapse the tube and too loose might be a very bad thing.

AS far as the engine is concerned, anyone doing serious work better have a good torque wrench (and know how to use it) and the full set of specs from the FSM in front of him!

The steering stem nut is 85 ft-lb irrespective of the type of bearings. The "opinions vary" is for the bearing torque, not the stem nut.
I am a fan of using proper torque values for critical components but not so much for the majority of stuff. Where it is most needed is for locations where too loose could be dangerous or too tight could damage something.

You should add the pinch bolt for the rear axle - easy to overdo that one.

Also, the pinch bolts for the forks - too tight can collapse the tube and too loose might be a very bad thing.

AS far as the engine is concerned, anyone doing serious work better have a good torque wrench (and know how to use it) and the full set of specs from the FSM in front of him!
Thx. I'll get the steering stuff cleaned up tonight. The pinch bolt info is already listed in the axle text. I agree about the service manual. This is more wall art and a little info to help me remember which sockets to pull from the drawer. And an attempt to keep my GIMP (graphics program) skills intact.
smile.png

Who is sobukawa_seihei? It says that he is the owner of the photo, taken on 10/2/2015.

• Tags: MC-USA-2016,Roadsports, MC USA 2016

Holy moly, look up the camera, lens, and camera back the guy used. It costs more than our bikes!!

• Sinar CMV/ Sinarback eVolution 75H
I don't recall where online I found that high-res shot of the 2016?? I printed it out and drooled over it while waiting for my bike to show up from D&H cycle. I guess the tags from that photo came through into the photo editor.

I see what you mean about the camera equipment! $$

Can't locate any images for the other years, other than the current 2019, in high res.

There was a two page Service Information document for the first Gens that listed all of the pertinent torque specs is addition to the part numbers for common maintenance items and consumables. Unfortunately whoever put that together didn’t keep up with it when the 2006s came along with different specs and part numbers. Probably didn’t own a second Gen so had no interest in it. It might be an interesting project to make a version for each Generation or by year.

There was a two page Service Information document for the first Gens that listed all of the pertinent torque specs is addition to the part numbers for common maintenance items and consumables. Unfortunately whoever put that together didn’t keep up with it when the 2006s came along with different specs and part numbers. Probably didn’t own a second Gen so had no interest in it. It might be an interesting project to make a version for each Generation or by year.
I'd be glad to do it, as time permits, if someone who owns the earlier gens wants to provide a good picture of the bike and the pertinent torque values.

I seem to recall a lot of this info being in the "Bin-o-facts" pages. I took on the Gen 1 page for a while, but now I have a Gen 3, so I have not even checked in a while.

Since we have a large plotter at work, I think I am going to sneak a printout of this for my garage. Thank you!

I'd be glad to do it, as time permits, if someone who owns the earlier gens wants to provide a good picture of the bike and the pertinent torque values.
I have a 10" x 6" of a 1st gen. I imagine one can find much higher resolution images through a google image search. Here's a search for only "large" images:

https://www.google.com/search?q=FJR1300&hl=en&tbm=isch&source=lnt&tbs=isz:l&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjuxeHJ4PPjAhXwx1kKHdNgDlYQpwUIIw&biw=1876&bih=905&dpr=1

Is there a reason why the most recent graphic indicates 2016+ instead of 2013+? Just curious since the specs I see appear to match what my 2014 requires.